Gibson Brands Forums

Young?

Riverside

My recently-departed mother used to tell me that she always felt (in her heart) like she was 8 years old...

I kind of know what she meant. I'm getting up there in years now, but inside... well, you guys who are going there prolly know what I mean.

What I don't understand, is when did "being young" equate to "being ignorant and proud of it"?

When I was 12, my friends and I used to have "dictionary wars" wherein we would argue about who had the most concise and accurate dictionary.

When digital calculators became affordable, we would contest HP vs Texas Instruments vis-a-vis exponential expression to the Nth decimal.

My children are now grown and gone - but they never rebelled against the ideals of accuracy or effective communication.

I have no doubt that the youngest of us here have the capabilities of precision necessary to the operation of complex equipment, not to mention the ability to excel (honors students appear to be here in many instances) in more complex educational environments than I ever experienced...

But how does that come down to the insistence that poor spelling and worse, the inability to construct a sentence (or topic heading) is to be given a pass?

I'll say it again - I'm sure that folks who are in school now have many more levels of challenge to face than I ever did - but why is it that they seem so insistent that anyone accept the inaccuracies and just plain non-sensical lines that are posted?

I'm not here to name names or act in any kind of superior position... but I really don't understand it.

Can someone explain?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uh Durr

Two days krids are stooopid

We r ignorants.

- Love,

Dem00n

You know, Ive had English teachers tell me that when you end with "Love" it has to be a capital L, but then the other one said lowercase.

:blink:

In no way do I believe that today's kids are stupid.

I feel for them, in that I know how much harder it must be to carry today's load. When my children came home from kindergarten with homework, much less that it had to do with the scientific method (for a five year old!) I realized that there was much more going on than I could imagine.

I just don't understand how that translates to a willingness to defend some of what gets defended...

I no way do I believe that today's kids are stupid.

I feel for them, in that I know how much harder it must be to carry today's load. When my children came home from kindergarten with homework, much less that it had to do with the scientific method (for a five year old!) I realized that there was much more going on than I could imagine.

I just don't understand how that translates to a willingness to defend some of what gets defended...

So your wondering why kids get so defensive about people attacking their wisdom and knowledge?

So your wondering why kids get so defensive about people attacking their wisdom and knowledge?

Not at all.

I can tell that wisdom and knowledge are there - particularly from folks who post here and at MLP.

What I don't understand is why some get upset when questioned about poor grammar and spelling. Goodness knows that I'm no expert, but sometimes things get written that make no sense what-so-ever - and I sometimes wonder why there seems to be a general lack of caring by those who make those kind of post.

I'm as guilty as the next guy when it comes to struggling with making myself understood - but I at least give it what I think is a good effort. I check my spelling, and I re-read before I push the post-button. Sometimes I still screw it up. But like as not, if I see something I did that was goofy, I'll edit my post, and if someone else calls me out for something I didn't notice, I'll acknowledge the defect and try to fix it.

I don't know. I get upset sometimes when someone posts something that's just wrong - and in a way, I understand that kind of ignorance.

But I don't understand when someone makes a post that doesn't make sense, or is full of misspelled words, when I have real reason to believe that they know better...

Thanks, Dem00n, for having the conversation. I don't mean to be jamming on you or anyone else in particular - I'm just trying to understand the divide.

I think the feeling, or mindset that everyone always references in "feeling young" is a mere enjoyment of life, little things and big. Take my late grandmother (she passed early last year), she was truly incredible. she had nine kids, and raised every single one of them, while still being extremely active in the community. She enjoyed life, and having a full schedule, she enjoyed people (though there was some onset of grouchiness as her age progressed). She could laugh with the best of 'em, and the worst. I think a lot of this "youthful" state is really a recapturing (if a bit duller) of the zealousness of youth, the days when we'd get a kick out of a hoola hoop (arthritic hips forbid). I think it is an evolved sense of youth, playing in the street traded for enjoying quiet conversation with old friends and family, maybe the occasional family reunion (assuming your kin are scattered across the country or world). Retirement to me (though I'll be the first to admit I'm far from it, and far from a perfect view of it, but we'll go with how I see it in this day) is for pulling it all together, and mostly enjoying family, sure it ultimately ends in death, but for now I'll see it as a celebration of a not-yet-finished life.

You know, Ive had English teachers tell me that when you end with "Love" it has to be a capital L, but then the other one said lowercase.

:blink:

I've

you're

Not at all.

I can tell that wisdom and knowledge are there - particularly from folks who post here and at MLP.

What I don't understand is why some get upset when questioned about poor grammar and spelling. Goodness knows that I'm no expert, but sometimes things get written that make no sense what-so-ever - and I sometimes wonder why there seems to be a general lack of caring by those who make those kind of post.

I'm as guilty as the next guy when it comes to struggling with making myself understood - but I at least give it what I think is a good effort. I check my spelling, and I re-read before I push the post-button. Sometimes I still screw it up. But like as not, if I see something I did that was goofy, I'll edit my post, and if someone else calls me out for something I didn't notice, I'll acknowledge the defect and try to fix it.

I don't know. I get upset sometimes when someone posts something that's just wrong - and in a way, I understand that kind of ignorance.

But I don't understand when someone makes a post that doesn't make sense, or is full of misspelled words, when I have real reason to believe that they know better...

Thanks, Dem00n, for having the conversation. I don't mean to be jamming on you or anyone else in particular - I'm just trying to understand the divide.

People get mad when someone attacks their spelling or grammar because they feel like they are being attacked about their overall knowledge.

They fight back because they feel insecure about their typing

In a way its an insult.

I always get attacked on grammar and spelling, but this is a forum. If i was writing an essay on why Emancipation Proclamation was a great thing, i would overview my grammar and spelling.

In my sixth grade English class today we began reading Tuck Everlasting. Within the first six pages we listed about 15 words that the majority of my class did not know and/or had never heard and/or could not pronounce.

Here is the list of words: glaring, quivers, tangent, ambled, tranquil, bovine, contemplation, infinite, veered, arc, easiness, abruptly, oppressive, meager, forlorn, gallows...

Now, some of these are challenging words. And, of course, some may be words the kids have absolutely never heard of or read before. But it struck me as a rather large list of words for a group of sixth graders reading a novel intended for their reading level.

In discussing the words and their meanings, one girl asked me - sincerely - if I just sat around and read the dictionary!

It is a frustrating time to be a teacher, trust me.

~DB

I believe I understand what you're saying, and feel free to correct me if I misinterpret with my response.

To me, I am fully for respecting my elders, HOWEVER, when they do not act like elders, they take that respect away from themselves. i.e. when some "adults" on the forum will fight with the "younguns" here and get into name calling wars and declare that "because I experienced more in life, you don't know anything".

I also take offense when people say that others are wrong based on opinions. I was just learning about synesthesia today. For those that might not know, it is when a person sees colors with letters, numbers, music, etc. It is like another dimension. A man was talking about how he eats chicken, ice cream and an orange sauce all mixed together almost every night because, to him and his synesthesia, he sees colors associated with the smells and flavors and makes the food taste that much better. I believe most of us would agree they might not want to eat that, but is this man wrong?

Respect is not a one way street, and I feel like statements such as "Make your own fxcking forum" only make the valley farther and farther away and demolish any hope of a bridge to be built.

I am sure I would get along with every one of you in real life (if we ever met) but on the internet, people say more bollocks and don't get along as well as they would if it was a face to face conversation

If you hate anyone from how they act on the internet, I'm sorry

Now the poster will tell me he is an English teacher who won teacher of the year 5 years in a row and how i am inferior to him.

Have you ever noticed how the "Teacher of the Year" is usually not the best teacher in the school

(and occasionally the worst). I figure it's a bit like Jethro Tull getting that Grammy award for

best metal band or whatnot. [biggrin]

People get mad when someone attacks their spelling or grammar because they feel like they are being attacked about their overall knowledge.

They fight back because they feel insecure about their typing

In a way its an insult.

I always get attacked on grammar and spelling, but this is a forum. If i was writing an essay on why Emancipation Proclamation was a great thing, i would overview my grammar and spelling.

See?

Now the poster will tell me he is an English teacher who won teacher of the year 5 years in a row and how i am inferior to him.

Well, it is only a guitar forum, but the language is the language regardless of whether or not one is trying for a grade.

Do you not see that there is a certain perception that applies when the apparent lack of effort is posted?

Or do you see it, and not do not have a concern about how it is perceived? I guess that that is my question.

I didn't start this thread in the spirit of attacking a word here or there - but there it is. Please don't lump me in with that response.

Well, it is only a guitar forum, but the language is the language regardless of whether or not one is trying for a grade.

Do you not see that there is a certain perception that applies when the apparent lack of effort is posted?

Or do you see it, and not do not have a concern about how it is perceived? I guess that that is my question.

I didn't start this thread in the spirit of attacking a word here or there - but there it is. Please don't lump me in with that response.

And why cant people let things be? ;)

Have you ever noticed how the "Teacher of the Year" is usually not the best teacher in the school

(and occasionally the worst). I figure it's a bit like Jethro Tull getting that Grammy award for

best metal band or whatnot. [biggrin]

Thats why i used it! [lol]

On the subject of kids today, I've had the extreme pleasure of hearing some local Junior High school kids playing in jazz orchestras. These are 6th thru 9th grade kids and the jazz charts they are playing are sophisticated even for adult musucians but these are kids and I am very impressed. The kids are alright.

I believe I understand what you're saying, and feel free to correct me if I misinterpret with my response.

To me, I am fully for respecting my elders, HOWEVER, when they do not act like elders, they take that respect away from themselves. i.e. when some "adults" on the forum will fight with the "younguns" here and get into name calling wars and declare that "because I experienced more in life, you don't know anything".

I also take offense when people say that others are wrong based on opinions. I was just learning about synesthesia today. For those that might not know, it is when a person sees colors with letters, numbers, music, etc. It is like another dimension. A man was talking about how he eats chicken, ice cream and an orange sauce all mixed together almost every night because, to him and his synesthesia, he sees colors associated with the smells and flavors and makes the food taste that much better. I believe most of us would agree they might not want to eat that, but is this man wrong?

Respect is not a one way street, and I feel like statements such as "Make your own fxcking forum" only make the valley farther and farther away and demolish any hope of a bridge to be built.

I am sure I would get along with every one of you in real life (if we ever met) but on the internet, people say more bollocks and don't get along as well as they would if it was a face to face conversation

If you hate anyone from how they act on the internet, I'm sorry

Thanks for responding Nathan -

For me, I don't really see the issue as Elders vs (other)... As I've already written, I can recognize the substance in the poster...

I hope you haven't seen me as on the attack against you - because of an arbitrary difference in birthdates.

Heck, I'm not sure I've thrown a shoe at you at all.

I can assure you there are plenty of bright, curious kids out there.

I spend every day with them. They help me to feel young. I owe them

for that.

Agreed. Twelve year teacher - first six years in 8th grade, next six years in 6th grade, science and ELA. Fun, fun, fun! Plus I coach cross country in the fall and track in the spring (five -six days a week), do a running club two days a week in the winter, have an acoustic guitar club one day a week, take 30+ kids to cross country camp for four days in June, and do a running club three days a week in the summer. Yes, I do love kids. Yes, they do wear me out!

~DB

Thanks for responding Nathan -

For me, I don't really see the issue as Elders vs (other)... As I've already written, I can recognize the substance in the poster...

I hope you haven't seen me as on the attack against you - because of an arbitrary difference in birthdates.

Heck, I'm not sure I've thrown a shoe at you at all.

I don't see anything as an attack from you (so far) [flapper]

I try not to, but that's how it gets turned into, resorts back to the childish squabble ender "yeah, well I'm older" (then a punch is thrown and the party runs away to tell mommy)

I look at substance. I mean a few of the younger members have put together some decent recordings and have a fairly decent knowledge about music. Sure, its a different kind of knowledge than playing around professionally for 30 years, but how many of the members here can boast that?

I believe we all joined this forum because we all love guitars, why can't we just do that?

I can assure you there are plenty of bright, curious kids out there.

I spend every day with them. They help me to feel young. I owe them

for that.

I second that, though from a student's perspective. I've met loads of refreshingly intelligent teenagers these days (some of whom are on these here forums!), sometimes I do focus more on the.. well the idiots of the world.

I am absolutely impressed when I see a "kid" - whether 12 or 22 - that has it together, is focused on a goal, can converse well in diverse situations, etc. They are so much further ahead than I was at that age.

As a coach of young runners - 6th through 8th grade - I see kids that are dedicated to pushing themselves beyond belief. Just today we had running club (completely voluntary) and in air temps of about 12, with wind chills below zero, on ice-slicked sideways and through over a foot of snow, over 20 kids showed up to run.

One of my kids (7th grade) is probably the most decent kid I've ever met: polite, soft-spoken, respectful, kind, honors student - and also fiercely competetive. He went over 100 miles last week for running club (5.1 mile average per day) without missing a single day.

Yes, there are very impressive kids out there.

BUT, as the OP stated, I agree that overall vocabulary and language usage has declined since I start teaching 12 years ago (I hope there's not a direct correlation there!).

~DB

Archived