Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite Effects Pedals?

animalfarm

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Vox AD120VTH with a 4-12 BN cab and the VC 12 Footcontroller,it's a fabulous setup but for a Luddite like me it's as complicated as brain surgery.I don't near make use of it's full capacity as the 60 page instruction manual is like ancient heiroglyphics to me.I can't understand why in this age they can't make things a lot less complicated so I just use the basic effects on it and plug my other effects into it.

• 2 months later...

BUMP for Altair - has info which may answer his questions about

which Pedal(s) to look for. His post is in the Lounge, but I told him I

was Bumping THIS one...........

AF

Why not just post a link AF ???

Oh, Sh$#$@$T - didn't think. Still brain-fried from work, AND

impatiently waiting for the UPS truck..............

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't being critical, just curious. Hope the truck gets there for you soon mate.

• 2 months later...

I have been using the Digitech RP355 for about a year. Once you learn how to use it, it's a great pedal system. The USB interface and X-Edit Software makes setting up your own presets a breeze.

It is set up with 70 factory presets and 70 User presets. I have to admit the learning curve is a little bit steep to get all the ins and outs of the effects. The Stomp Box Mode allows you to Add in Distortion,FX's and Delay on the fly which is nice if you playing clean and want a little bit of a dirty sound for lead. It also has a AMP + Cabinet A/B modeling set up so you can have two diffrent types of amps for your preset which is nice for Lead and Rythym settings. The Volume/Wah(3 Types) pedal is nice. You can also set certain effects to the pedal like a harmonizer and octaver(sounds like a dual lead).

One of the nice features is the built in 20 second looper. This allows you record a riff and then play over it. I have yet to find a limit for the amount overdubs i can do. This is also great for coming up with leads over a chord set.

It also has a built in Learn-A-Lick feature that allows you to record a 10 second piece of music coming into the aux input. With this you can set timing from 1/8 Speed to Full.

It also has a built in Drum machine with a bunch of settings from Metronome to diffrent styles of music(Cant be used with the looper or learn-a lick unfortunatley).

Guess thats a pretty overview of the RP355 sorry if its a little long

Argo

I might one of those few who uses a Digitech Multi FX...

I have got my Digitech RP1000 unit less than 6 months ago, although there's still more to learn on how to master it,

but I'm loving it, it has many effects to play with, also has amp/cab model, and USB recording. Not to mention it's nicely built,

complete metal from inside out. I use for both of my Bass and Guitar, and didn't regret it.

Digitech-RP1000.jpg

• 3 months later...

I was thinking about them, what's wrong that you'd want to get rid of it Ash ???

There is honestly nothing wrong with it it's good much better than a boss bd2 but I would just prefer a RI ts808 just personal taste as I can get a slightly less heavy tone out of the ts808 than I can the blackstar

There is honestly nothing wrong with it it's good much better than a boss bd2 but I would just prefer a RI ts808 just personal taste as I can get a slightly less heavy tone out of the ts808 than I can the blackstar

Yeah, I didn't mean something physically wrong with it, just you perceptions of it.

So you think it's too heavy eh ???

Yeah, I didn't mean something physically wrong with it, just you perceptions of it.

So you think it's too heavy eh ???

Haha I know what you meant I just meant there is nothing that much wrong with the sound of the pedal sorry I never explained myself properly

It's too heavy for my tone yeah but it's a cool pedal tho !

Haha I know what you meant I just meant there is nothing that much wrong with the sound of the pedal sorry I never explained myself properly

It's too heavy for my tone yeah but it's a cool pedal tho !

Now I bet you're not in Oz by any chance ???

No England ! Pretty much the other side of the world I bought mine second hand on eBay for about £60 so if I can get that for it I'll be pleased

Ah, for shame, best of luck getting rid of it, and the rest of the gear too btw.

11300-Fender-Mustang-II-40w-Guitar-Amp__48163_zoom.jpg

It has 24 Preset variants BUT you can make your own!

But the best thing is "FENDER FUSE"

fender_mustang_fuse_06_instrument_musique_chalon.jpg

This has a SCREEN FULL of setup options AND you can download PRO GUITAR made versions (Satriani to name but one)

Its very versitile and has an additional pedal options for those quick switches

Not bad for £100 all included...

Do the cables come with the amp? If so, what is the connection type? AMP-1/4 --------- PC=USB?

I never really enjoyed pedals because I didn't know when to use them.

Recently I have been finding their use great for specific applications, which sounds silly and juvenile I know. However, a subtle delay with a sustain pedal really achieves that distance vibe that I always heard and never knew how "they" did it. And, when I use various Fuzz pedals I sometimes put on the compressor so when I am strumming my chords it all aligns up a bit more, which I never knew made a difference.

Using pedals a few times in a an arranged song helps me with my timing and structural anticipation, which I always have felt has been one of my weak points.

I have been finding more and more pedals that are clones of vintage pedals for a fraction of the price. Plus, the used market for pedals is great because you can always sell and trade what you have for different options.

I Have never heard an overdrive/distortion pedal that could rival the dirty channel on a good valve amp. Pedals always just sound like... well,..pedals. IMO.

What i think would be a really cool idea would be a all Valve pre amp in a pedal, which could be kranked up, then fed into any old solid state amp or PA system giving you that sound of a fully cranked valve amp at controllable volume levels.

I agree somewhat. Especially when you get a tube amplifier that has the right tube set up. It's amazing what different tubes will do to your headroom and distortion tones.

I have several solid state heads with almost identical tube tones because of their clipping. I mean, almost identical. Not to contradict myself, but I can subtly hear the difference in the cleans...

However, if you have an effect loop on that tube amplifier it's incredible the honesty of the tonal quality that is achieved.

And, there are guys out there making tube preamp pedals that achieve that sonic advantage you like!

Archived