Gibson Brands Forums

Replacing Nashville bridge with ABR

surfpup

Having already replaced the stock zinc tailpiece with aluminum, my next step was to replace

the zinc Nashville bridge with an ABR type. I considered the Faber bridge first, but they are

pre-cut in the center of the saddle, which doesn't always lead to optimal string spacing. I also

considered the Callaham - milled form one piece of steel, no pre-cut saddles, but very expensive!

In the end I went with the Tone Pros AVR-II but used Callaham one-piece steel studs. Easy swap.

Took an hour max. Details below...

Here it is with the the stock Nashville bridge

DSC_0048.jpg

Bridge and studs removed

DSC_0050.jpg

Using my handy Stew-Mac puller to pull the Nashville bushings (though turned out they were probably loose enough

to pull by hand)

DSC_0055.jpg

Studs out

DSC_0056.jpg

Callaham studs ready to be tapped in

DSC_0057.jpg

Using socket to tap studs in

DSC_0058.jpg

Studs in

DSC_0060.jpg

Thumbscrews on

DSC_0062.jpg

AVRII bridge on (had to tap the studs a bit to line this up due to the tighter tolerances (smaller holes

compared to the Nashville)

DSC_0064.jpg

Here are the AVRII and the Nashville side by side for comparison

DSC_0065.jpg

Continued in next post as it will exceed the amount of images allowed...

Much better. [thumbup]

What else have you done to that guitar?

I tweaked the flux capacitor a bit. [biggrin]

It's been through a few changes... Let's see... In chronological order (more or less)

Virtuoso cleaner and polish to gloss up the faded finish a bit

Dunlop straplocks

Ordered/installed custom TRC "Big Joe" after my father in law who left me the guitar

Installed plain nickel pickup covers

Replaced caps with reissue "Bees"

Yanked those and replaced pots and caps with RS vintage kit (500k pots and Bees)

Replaced top hat knobs with darker "vintage" amber of same shape

Replaced plastic jackplate with worn nickel jackplate

Replaced stock tailpiece with Faber aluminum tp

Replaced bridge studs with Callaham one-piece steel studs

Replaced bridge with Tone Pros AVRII

I have to admit I am liking it much better now. Also the finish (which was a bit orange/yellow

and ugly). Is mellowing a bit. I put it in the window sometimes and that seems to help. I am

not sure that I will stick with the Burstbucker Pro pickups in the long run. They sound good,

but there is probably a better sounding set in its future.

Attaching before and after pics (not the same shot, but best I could do for now)

Looks good and some nice upgrades. [thumbup]

I went the other way and put a plastic jack plate on my Traditional.

How long did you sun tan it for? I tried tanning my R0 before winter; I kept it inside under the window, 5 days/week, all day everyday for about 4 weeks but didn't notice any change yet. I'll continue in the spring.

I'm not a fan of BB Pros. The neck is alright but the bridge is definitely not for me. There are too many aftermarket pickup choices out there. Do you have anything in mind? I'd like to try a set of WCRs one day. I still have a set of Throbaks lying around for my next guitar. Guess the WCRs will have to wait.

You cheater [biggrin]

I thought you would plug the holes and drill.....

Nice job BTW [thumbup]

But if you plug the holes and drill, there is a chance that it won't come out perfectly intonated because it may be possible that you don't get it perfectly within that little plug.

Looks good and some nice upgrades. [thumbup]

How long did you sun tan it for? I tried tanning my R0 before winter; I kept it inside under the window, 5 days/week, all day everyday for about 4 weeks but didn't notice any change yet. I'll continue in the spring.

Thanks. I don't really have a plan. I just stick it in the window if the weather is nice. I sometimes lay it in the back yard too. Hoping it will look like your Pearly one day. [biggrin]

I'm not a fan of BB Pros. The neck is alright but the bridge is definitely not for me. There are too many aftermarket pickup choices out there. Do you have anything in mind? I'd like to try a set of WCRs one day. I still have a set of Throbaks lying around for my next guitar. Guess the WCRs will have to wait.

I'm not sure. I really like the Duncan Pearly Gates set in my gold top, but I don't see the point in having the same pups in two guitars. Like you say the neck sounds pretty good. I might just try something else in the bridge.

You cheater [biggrin]

I thought you would plug the holes and drill.....

Nice job BTW [thumbup]

Thanks! I considered the Faber kit which requires tapping, but the Callaham stuff looked good and was highly recommended by another member here.

• 6 months later...

Archived