Gibson Brands Forums

Electric for YOUNG beginner

Thawk Dean

Hi everyone...........I've been on the Epiphone site for a while now but this is my first stop on the ELECTRIC side. I'm strictly an ACOUSTIC person. But I need some advice. Our 12-year old grandson wants to start playing git. But, he wants to go with an electric. His sister just started with an acoustic a few months ago on "my nickel". I bought the git and am paying for her lessons. Our grandson would like the same "deal" for his birthday. SO, my question is what type/style electric git is good for a YOUNG BEGINNER? I had him to a shop a few weeks ago and looked at a used Epi electric, not sure the model, though. Any guidance would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks, Dean

I'm of the opinion that (unless one has money to burn) a beginner is fine starting out on a budget instrument, assuming it's not a total piece of junk. Almost any electric guitar will probably fit the bill, especially if the action is set for easy playability. And there are scads of inexpensive practice amps to choose from, including modeling amps that provide a bunch of tonal variations to keep things interesting.

If you don't want to spend too much until you know how serious he is there are plenty of Epiphone "special" and "100" models out there that would make a good first guitar. Obviously, you'll need something to amplify it or a headphone set up. I think that most big box music stores have starter packages that will have everything he'll need. Just play it before you buy. In the lower price range, quality will vary from guitar to guitar in the same model, so play as many as you can. What you know about acoustic guitars will relate to electrics as far as what plays good and what doesn't. I like the Les Paul Studios and Les Paul and SG 100s. Prety good bang for the buck. Hope he keeps up with it. Good luck.

If you don't want to spend too much until you know how serious he is there are plenty of Epiphone "special" and "100" models out there that would make a good first guitar. Obviously, you'll need something to amplify it or a headphone set up. I think that most big box music stores have starter packages that will have everything he'll need. Just play it before you buy. In the lower price range, quality will vary from guitar to guitar in the same model, so play as many as you can. What you know about acoustic guitars will relate to electrics as far as what plays good and what doesn't. I like the Les Paul Studios and Les Paul and SG 100s. Prety good bang for the buck. Hope he keeps up with it. Good luck.

I will say from experience you pay the little extra and the guitar will last, the problem with the CHEAP ones like the G310, 100 & Special are BOLT neck, cheap frets that easily pop out and the pickups aren't much good either.

Amps can be cheap I recommend a small Marshall of Fender/Squire amp the 10-15w ones don't cost to much 2nd hand

SS1, couldn't agree more. But I've been in the same situation, with 2 different nephews, and found that after spending several hundred on resonably good guitars, they both lost interest within a year and I ended up with the guitars back. My only point was that spending too much at first can be risky. If it turns out they stick with it, upgrades to the next level would certainly be in order. It's a tricky decision. Get a good enough guitar to keep them interested, but not so expensive that if it doesn't work out, you're not out too much.

SS1, couldn't agree more. But I've been in the same situation, with 2 different nephews, and found that after spending several hundred on resonably good guitars, they both lost interest within a year and I ended up with the guitars back. My only point was that spending too much at first can be risky. If it turns out they stick with it, upgrades to the next level would certainly be in order. It's a tricky decision. Get a good enough guitar to keep them interested, but not so expensive that if it doesn't work out, you're not out too much.

Thats why I surgested those 3 they don't cost TOO much only £100 2nd hand (About the same as the cheap models new) so even if they need selling on he should get all if not more than he bought them for as the depreciation has already happened.

I learned to play on a no-name guitar that I bought for 15 dollars. I wouldn't spend too much. Maybe an Epi Les Paul Jr. or a cheep Squire for a beginner.

I agree with this. Nothing wrong with a bolt-neck Epi in the hands of a 12 yr. old beginner. Besides, we all know that set neck SGs and LPs are fragile around the area where the head meets the neck.

The most important thing for a beginner (especially at that age) is ease of playability. A good neck and proper action are going to drive the learning process. Pickups are upgradable and frets popping out are not a common problem with epiphones. The most common fret problem I see around here is a high fret every once in a while that needs a little sanding. And its not particular to just the bolt-neck Epiphones.

I own both a G-310 and an LP Jr.. And while they arent my favorite guitars as I have outgrown them for the most part, they served their purpose and served it well. It still amazes me that Epiphone can put such great necks on such inexpensive guitars.

Also, I really dig the GTs. Those are sweet little guitars and I would totally buy one for my son when he's ready to rock out.

Epiphone LP Special II for about $170.00. It is a "bolt on" neck, but the few I've had and played were fine, inexpensive electric guitars. Get him a Fuzz, wah-wah and a small Marshall amp or something he can play along with like a Fender G-dec Junior, Also, get him a CD/MP3 player, loaded with "backing tracks" so he can plug in the CD/player, and "jam" along with the CD or backing tracks on the CD/MP3 player. If I was 12, I would love something like that. Most small amps have an "aux" in jack and a headphone jack, so if your grandson wants to play and practice "silently" (mom and dad might like that feature), he can do exactly that, plug in the guitar, headphones and CD/MP3 and jam out. A little solid state (transistor, not tube) amp, (Marshall, Fender, Vox) might run around $150.00

An Epiphone Les Paul Junior cost about $130.00 or even less used (on Ebay). I love mine, and the Fender G- DEC Junior amp is a nice inexpensive practice amp that has several "backing" tunes (Latin, rock, Chicago blues...) as well as a "key" selector that allows the track to be "played" in all the various keys. It also has various amp simulators and effects that can be selected by the turn of a couple knobs, both the guitar volume and the backing track volume can be adjusted independently. It is in my opinion, an excellent learning and practice tool/amp.

I can dig it.

junior.jpg

So, with a cost of about $300. add a few inexpensive pedals (Danelectro) and for about $400.00, he will have something great to learn on that will carry him into his teen/early adult years and he just might keep them when he is a man and starts his work career (then he can select his own gear).

Don't forget these items that are also necessary: A gig bag, polishing cloth, "finger ease"/ bore oil or similar neck and fretboard "conditioners", a polishing cloth and a spray bottle of liquid surface cleaner made specifically for guitars and a couple extra sets of strings as well as a few guitar picks of various gauges. The G-DEC amp has a built in tuner. If you get an amp with out a tuner, get a couple tuning forks in various keys, or a "pitch pipe" for tuning up. Also, I don't know if he will be trying to play standing or sitting. Either way, a good strap is also necessary. If he plays "classical style" sitting down, a comfortable bench, with no sharp pointy things protuding (so he wont scratch anything) as well as a foot stool (which is absolutely necessary for "classical" style playing) is also in order. If you want to do it right gramps, I think you are looking at $500.00 or so.

Thanks for all the GREAT input. The one we looked at was a used Epi($110USD) with an Orange amp ($90USD). With cables, picks, gig bag, strap, new strings, setup, etc., the package came out to about $250USD. "Gramma" told me that if he doesn't stick with it, I get to add it to my 2 acoustics. SO.....I'm going to make sure it is something I would like, also. At the shop was the first time I had an electric in my hands. I'm only about 1 1/2 years into this git thing and am HAPPY as HELL being a chord strummer for now. Eventually I'll get into more melody/lead stuff. An Electric just might be the ticket. I can now start a more serious search between now and his birthday. I've always like the LP-style gits. That might be where I'll start my search. Thanks again, Dean

At 13, we bought my daughter the 3/4 size Ibanez Mikro kit for $180.00 with simple amp (and terrible, unpadded case). We spent $35.00 for new strings and set-up. At the time, the size was right for her. A year and a half later, she bought (out of her money) one of the better Fender Squire Strats and continued to use the little Ibanez practice amp 'til I bought her a Fender Mustang I for Xmas (she loves it). Today, she still says the little Ibanez was great for her to start with -- it held up fine, but gettng the set-up was smart of course. I am not advising that this specific kit is THE one you should buy, but it is an example of something affordable that can work out. If he is a big enough kid, a full size makes sense.

Definitely get something with low action, or make sure to get it setup that way. I started learning on a Strat with too-high action, but I didn't even realize how high it was until I bought an SG. Things I had been practicing for months and couldn't get right I was doing perfectly on the SG.

At 13, we bought my daughter the 3/4 size Ibanez Mikro kit for $180.00 with simple amp (and terrible, unpadded case). We spent $35.00 for new strings and set-up. At the time, the size was right for her. A year and a half later, she bought (out of her money) one of the better Fender Squire Strats and continued to use the little Ibanez practice amp 'til I bought her a Fender Mustang I for Xmas (she loves it). Today, she still says the little Ibanez was great for her to start with -- it held up fine, but gettng the set-up was smart of course. I am not advising that this specific kit is THE one you should buy, but it is an example of something affordable that can work out. If he is a big enough kid, a full size makes sense.

Ooops! I see you already posted that you found something -- looks like a great deal!

We didn't buy that set. It was the first one we looked at. It's kinda the baseline, right now. His Birthday isn't until July. Gramma said she needs to see his yearend reprt card!!! Dean

I'd recommend any of the less expensive 2-pickup Epis.

Yeah, bolt on neck, yadayadayada. Give one to a pro and it'll sound like it's a pro performance.

Setup; light strings... 9s or 10s, I'd say - along with admonisment that beating on it is not wise.

Amp is necessary. Look at Kustoms too.

Since you may get it back, look at the inexpensive ($200) "Phonic" (house brand) pa at MF. It'd work as a basic amp - and with a mike stand added, the kid has a start on a band. That's called "incentive." <grin>

So we're talking roughly $400 new.

And in a worse case, if you get the guitar and pa back - as an acoustic player you can use the PA.

m

Since you may get it back, look at the inexpensive ($200) "Phonic" (house brand) pa at MF. It'd work as a basic amp - and with a mike stand added, the kid has a start on a band. That's called "incentive." <grin>

LOL I have that. It's actually not too bad. The cables and mic that come with the package are terrible, but the actual unit itself is pretty good. I wish it had reverb though.

Super...

Another point - especially since somebody recommended the "F" brand.

I recommend against "F" specifically on grounds of neck shape and fingerboard radius. It has its uses and some folks are extremely happy with it, but the more rounded fingerboard that makes some stuff easier, makes other stuff very difficult in comparison. After the kid is playing and is doing an appropriate style or "just cuz," fine. But not to start.

On the other hand... I like the suggestion of some of the less expensive Fender amps. One of the new Mustang amps is like $100 and has enough hardware to hear any sort of practice session and the software and "perks" to do about anything else a 12-year-old (or an antique like me) might wanna play with. In ways I'll still prefer my little Kustom 30-watt acoustic-electric amp 'cuz I can plug in a mike for a small room acoustic gig as well as playing nicely with even a solidbody, but...

In fact, that little Mustang is something I "need" about like a hole in the head, but... <grin>

m

On the other hand... I like the suggestion of some of the less expensive Fender amps. One of the new Mustang amps is like $100 and has enough hardware to hear any sort of practice session and the software and "perks" to do about anything else a 12-year-old (or an antique like me) might wanna play with. In ways I'll still prefer my little Kustom 30-watt acoustic-electric amp 'cuz I can plug in a mike for a small room acoustic gig as well as playing nicely with even a solidbody, but...

In fact, that little Mustang is something I "need" about like a hole in the head, but... [biggrin]

Thanks PLEASE DO GET the Fender Mustang I

I love mine

On the point of NECKS I uses a variantion but do prefer the thicker neck as I play with my thumb on the back of the headstock, I also find it resonates for longer...

I recommend you don't follow the advice from the poster below.

Buy a cheap guitar. I recommend an acoustic. If they keep up with practicing, then get them a better model. This gives them a built in incentive to keep up with practicing and to be rewarded for "sticking with it".

As a teacher, I have heard from many, many parents that go out and buy nice guitar gear for their kid, only to have to find somebody to sell it to a couple of months later when the kid decides they no longer want to play.

I recommend these 3

Epiphone Les Paul Studio (Wood, worn cherry or ebony (2nd hand £100-120)

r_00064985.jpg

Epiphone SG G400 Worn Wood or Cherry (2nd Hand £100-120)

r_00058993.jpg

Epiphone Explorer-GT Worn Black (2nd hand £100-120)

r_00066937.jpg

The first 2 have great frets and weight to them and will last ALOT of abuse :)

I recommend you don't follow the advice from the poster below.

Buy a cheap guitar. I recommend an acoustic. If they keep up with practicing, then get them a better model. This gives them a built in incentive to keep up with practicing and to be rewarded for "sticking with it".

As a teacher, I have heard from many, many parents that go out and buy nice guitar gear for their kid, only to have to find somebody to sell it to a couple of months later when the kid decides they no longer want to play.

I tend to agree with you on the "tangling a carrot" for incentive to continue. BUT, I kinda feel that if it is an electric he wants to try, he may tend to stick with it instead of an acoustic that he is not interested in. My grand daughter WANTED an acoustic because she like plunking on mine when we visit each other. ALL this input is great. As a retired engineer, I'm an "information junkie" and appreciate the input from everyone. Dean

Archived