Gibson Brands Forums

56' Goldtop - Fake or not?

Alan189

It wasn't sold from Guitar-Center.......

It was sold privatly in U.K.

yes, we know this guitar is in the UK. i was sharing that i witnessed the same model being sold at guitar center.

the details i remember that differed from other epi goldtops from previous years are the differnt color gold paint (this being more metallic with bigger flakes, and more of a gold than a softer yellow) the taller and more rounded headstock shape. the truss rod cover calling it a standard (that is what it was marketed as, a 56 les paul standard) the neck being 2 pieces at the headstock, and also the headstock may have seemed thicker. i also recognise the cream colored control plates on the back. i noted these differences from epiphones just previous to that. i also noted at the time thet reminded me of the very first ones that came out when they first appeard years before.

not to get all worked up, but i think it might be worth checking into with gibson/epiphone before making such definite accusations as to fraud to the buyer, even going so far as to call the law? this could potentially unfairly hurt someone, i think it only fair to do your homework first.

My vote is fake...the "EE" on the serial # is way too big, also, if it is real then the truss rod cover has been replaced... [thumbdn]

EDIT: I'm also pretty sure i saw a video where someone from epi said they never used or do use metal jack plates...

I guess that wasn't what he said, but here is the vid in case anyone is interested:

http://vimeo.com/11148045

Right on Pete, and Epi has been using those easy connects for a quite while now too.

Best thing in the future - if you aren't sure about a guitar being a fake, buy from a reputable dealer. There are tons of fake Epis out there. I remember a while ago, due to someone here on the forum, that a place in China got shut down for making fakes. Sorry it happened to you.

You guys are good. If they say it's fake, well it's fake. It still looks pretty nice. I'd like to have a real one too and would be more than steamed if what I had was a fake. I guess I better be quiet (for a couple hours) now. [flapper] . You came to the right place for answers. [thumbup]

The backside should be more dark.........

http://www.cranesmusicstore.com/epiphonelespaul56goldtop-p-1146.html

And I've never seen an Epiphone that you could actually see the multi-piece back on the back of the guitar like that since they typically veneer over them. Though ironically some Gibsons now have backs that look pretty much like that.

And I've never seen an Epiphone that you could actually see the multi-piece back on the back of the guitar like that since they typically veneer over them. Though ironically some Gibsons now have backs that look pretty much like that.

You can see it on the older ones. I had an LP-Std that you could see the back on. Bought it new in 91 or 92.

Archived