Gibson Brands Forums

Crawling In an Attic....

duane v

My mom has been really pushing me to get some of my long lost stuff that's been stored in her attic. There's a couple of guitars, (one of them is my older brothers), a trumpet or two and some other misc. stuff.

I plan on doing this at some point next month, but have never crawled in an attic [scared] .... To be honest I'm more afraid of all the dust I might be breathing in and also my weight [blush] ..... I'm wondering what I should be worried about when crawling around in there.

Thanx

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooo I get the weight comment, I'm 6 foot 200 pounds (90kg) and I've been walking around on roofs in need of repair with my dad for the past two summers. The creaks can startle you! when it comes to dust I just try to breathe into my shirt, for lack of a mask.

What type of guitar?

Ooo I get the weight comment, I'm 6 foot 200 pounds (90kg) and I've been walking around on roofs in need of repair with my dad for the past two summers. The creaks can startle you! when it comes to dust I just try to breathe into my shirt, for lack of a mask.

What type of guitar?

I was thinking a mask and goggles...

One of the guitars (that's my older brothers) is a Gibson doubleneck.... I believe it's a 70's model. He doesn't play anymore, and doesn't give a crap about it, so I guess I'll just keep it. He told me last year just give him $500, because that's what he paid for it.

The other is either a 80's Vantage or a Washburn A5, A10 or A-something [confused] .

I was thinking a mask and goggles...

One of the guitars (that's my older brothers) is a Gibson doubleneck.... I believe it's a 70's model. He doesn't play anymore, and doesn't give a crap about it, so I guess I'll just keep it. He told me last year just give him $500, because that's what he paid for it.

The other is either a 80's Vantage or a Washburn A5, A10 or A-something [confused] .

Doubleneck? What do you mean by that?!

this type o' doubleneck??

.... I'm wondering what I should be worried about when crawling around in there.

Thanx

Spiders! [scared] That's what's in my attic. And that's why I don't go up there if I can avoid it at all.

Creeeeeeppppy! (I really hate spiders - I guess that's what I would encounter in Orwell's room 101!)

That said, I think I'd brave it for a couple of guitars!

OMG on the doubleneck. Lucky guy. Very lucky, IMHO.

As for the attic...

A lot depends on what's there. You may want a dust mask but...

For the weight thing, I guess a lot would depend on whether there's real flooring, age of the place, etc. Usually putting the weight over rafters should be okay or there wouldn't be attic access at all anyway.

I guess there's so much dust in the air where I live anyway that I don't usually even think about such stuff. Fiberglass or asbestos insulation just might make me wanna use a dust filter mask, though.

m

Spiders! [scared] That's what's in my attic. And that's why I don't go up there if I can avoid it at all.

Creeeeeeppppy! (I really hate spiders - I guess that's what I would encounter in Orwell's room 101!)

That said, I think I'd brave it for a couple of guitars!

Right now I'm trying to convince my daughter to get one of her buddies to do it for $20 [thumbup]

LOL!!!

I started a thread last year in the Epi Lounge about this same subject.... I've been putting this off for a very long time [blush] .... My mom gave me a hard date to move it or lose it [rolleyes]

You have known there was a Gibson Doubleneck in your attic for a "very long time", and you put it off? how could you starve us of pics?

we had a raccoon in our attic: after having it (and its mess) cleaned out, we also had to have treatment for mold.

I used to have to scoot around in the ever-narrowing crawl space under our old house years ago to fix burst pipes and whatnot. Now you want to talk about big-freakin' spiders...not to mention what else might be living under there... [scared] And the hole to get in there had to be negotiated on one's back, wriggling in backwards, headfirst, and then I had to scooch around on my chest and elbows, or worse yet on my back, looking up at the giant spiders living in the rafters under my house, not more than 6 inches from my face. God, I hated going under that house!

And there weren't any guitars to be found under that darn house, either. I so just go for it!

You have known there was a Gibson Doubleneck in your attic for a "very long time", and you put it off? how could you starve us of pics?

When I visit mom and dad, the last thing I wanna do is crawl in a friggin attic [thumbdn] ..... The Gibby double-neck is very intriguing no doubt, but lord knows what the condition it's in. The last time I saw it, my brother was jammin with my cousins band Klutch Kargo.

But the other guitar (whatever it is) just don't seem to excite me too much right now....

When I visit mom and dad, the last thing I wanna do is crawl in a friggin attic [thumbdn] ..... The Gibby double-neck is very intriguing no doubt, but lord knows what the condition it's in. The last time I saw it, my brother was jammin with my cousins band Klutch Kargo.

Well I get that, but I'd get twitchy wondering how the condition was!

But the other guitar (whatever it is) just don't seem to excite me too much right now....

Where do you live? I'll go up in the freakin' attic - you keep the Gibby double, I'll take the other guitar, we'll call it good! [thumbup]

That's the one

Well you don't want to risk falling or breathing something poisonous or getting bitten by a radioactive spider.

Here's what....I'll come and get the guitars and stuff down for you and in return you give me the Double Neck? Sound good?

[biggrin][flapper]

Bought my house in '83. Going by the abstract, it must have served as a starter home for 3 or 4 couples through VA loans since 1959. Besides the (expected) 3 or 4 dozen empty jelly jars, there was an Air Force dress coat, a bunch of newspapers from the early 60s, several pairs of Jackie O type shoes... that's about it. There was a big long piece of grass of some sort, I think it's something the Catholics put in their houses... I've seen them draped over the visors in their cars too.. sorry, not Catholic savvy. The only thing I found of any use was a very nice one piece brass rifle cleaning rod, much more rugged than the ones available now. I still use it, in fact it's standing up in the corner of the kitchen right now.

There was a box of "Congratulations on your wedding" cards from 1963. I somehow found out that the couple had moved out of state. One day in the early 90s I read an obituary of one of the guy's relatives. I was going to try and contact him if he came back to the area for the funeral. I mentioned this to someone who knew him and their response was that the couple had gotten divorced years ago. I figured they probably didn't want the cards at that point so I threw them out.

Hope they didn't get divorced because they were fighting over who misplaced their cards.....

.... I'm wondering what I should be worried about when crawling around in there.

What to worry about?

•  
  • Spiders, in particular, Brown Recluse, Tarantulas
  • Snakes
  • snails
  • puppy dog tails
  • Squirrels
  • Coons
  • African Killer bees
  • Hornets
  • Wasps
  • Scorpions
  • Armadillos
  • Green Alligators
  • Long Neck Geese
  • Humpy Back Camels
  • Chimpanzees
  • Dust
  • Mold
  • Falling through the ceiling
  • Whacking your head on the underside of the roof, riddled with the pointy ends of shingle nails,
  • Fiberglass insulation
  • Trolls
  • and Little People [scared]

Man up Duanev, just go up there get the stuff and get out. It's only dust. Just keep your feet on the rafters and you're good.

Have you ever even been up there?

For crimany sakes, your mom's been up there when she stowed your stuff up there. If she can do it surely you can.

Archived