Gibson Brands Forums

Spring has sprung

surfpup

This is the stuff we live for in North Florida: 72 degrees, low (for us) humidity, windows open. I have not used heat for a week. Warm days, but chilly mornings - 50's. Cool enough to sleep well. Ahhhhh... if it would only last.

Yard work today in surf shorts. Planted some tomatoes, peppers, cukes, and squash in the garden. I didn't miss the yard work, but it's nice to get the place looking good again. Now it's time for a cold one in the back yard Adirondack chair. Anyone else doing spring yardy type stuff today?

Mid-Michigan forecast

Tonight: 6"-9" snow, low 21F

Monday: more snow, high 21F, low 6F

Tuesday: partly sunny(!), high 24F, low 4F

Spring is a LONG WAY OFF here!

As for "yard" work. I cut, hauled, and stacked four truckloads of firewood this weekend. Hoping that might last a couple weeks...

Last week was pretty nice. Got rid of most of the snow which was good 'cuz I woke up this a.m. with around 8 inches of the stuff outside the door.

Here's my NWS forecast: Tonight: Snow and areas of blowing snow before 11pm, then a slight chance of snow after 11pm. Low around -4. Wind chill values between -15 and -20. Northwest wind between 8 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

FYI, at least we're 60-80 miles from where it'll really be blizzarding.

m

I was just in Sarasota FL last week and it was so nice to wear short sleeves around the house after a Maryland winter of wearing longjohns and fleece sweaters indoors. Maryland is mild compared to other posters here, but I've had it with winter.

No yard work yet. Just been helping my parents pack up their house so they can move to Florida in April. Hope to be following in a few years.

Yeah Surfpup I know what you mean everything is starting to green up and bloom and the winter grass is starting to die off and the weather is getting warmer again already although yesterday and today were cold and raining here. Guess it's time to pack up my winter long sleeve t-shirt and my sock and start the summer dress code of as little as legally possible. Just so you know We here in Phoenix are doing spring on Thursday March third from 2:00 until 4:20 and then will just go directly into summer.

So pick a different day or at least a different time slot for your Florida SPRING. this year.

This is the stuff we live for in North Florida: 72 degrees, low (for us) humidity, windows open. I have not used heat for a week. Warm days, but chilly mornings - 50's. Cool enough to sleep well. Ahhhhh... if it would only last.

Yard work today in surf shorts. Planted some tomatoes, peppers, cukes, and squash in the garden. I didn't miss the yard work, but it's nice to get the place looking good again. Now it's time for a cold one in the back yard Adirondack chair. Anyone else doing spring yardy type stuff today?

Yeah Surf......it was 75 degrees here in N.E. Alabama yesterday.......been nice for 2 weeks now.......currently 58 degrees at 5:am.....

We still have "Blackberry Winter" to go here (a wicked cold week in either March or April)but it sure feels like an early Spring for us too.

No clue what part of "North Fla." you're in, but gotta tell you that my wife & I have both fallen totally in love with Pensacola, and plan to retire there someday(hopefully).

Yeah Surf......it was 75 degrees here in N.E. Alabama yesterday.......been nice for 2 weeks now.......currently 58 degrees at 5:am.....

We still have "Blackberry Winter" to go here (a wicked cold week in either March or April)but it sure feels like an early Spring for us too.

No clue what part of "North Fla." you're in, but gotta tell you that my wife & I have both fallen totally in love with Pensacola, and plan to retire there someday(hopefully).

Nice beaches in Pensacola. Lotsa jets though. [biggrin]

I'm about four hours east of there. Keep going till you hit the Atlantic ocean.

Thats what I'm ready for, some good old tomatoes off the vine! Well that and the cold one! What kind of peppers do you grow. I like to grow cayenne. Use them for pickling green tomatoes.

We hit the 70's as well this weekend and we're looking at mid to upper 60's this week after another 72 degree day.

Thats what I'm ready for, some good old tomatoes off the vine! Well that and the cold one! What kind of peppers do you grow. I like to grow cayenne. Use them for pickling green tomatoes.

I like cayenne best as well. We have a local pepper called the Datil that is much like the scotch bonnet. But I planted sweet peppers not hot this weekend. I've got a little broccoli left. Once that's eaten, I'll probably put in some cayenne plants. I like to make my own hot sauce from them.

Surf...

Sounds like Jax (Sea Turtle Inn still operating at the beach?) or St. Augustine. <grin>

St. Augustine I always wondered what it would have been like even in a Florida winter in the old fort...

m

Yeah, we are pretty deep in history here in the nation's oldest city. Not only the Castillo (or Fort Marion as it was known under our brief British occupation). There is also the smaller Ft. Matanzas in the bay where Pedro Menendez de Aviles slaughtered the Huguenots (Matanzas means slaughter).

Daryl...

Yahbut...

When I lived in Memphis, a half an inch brought school to be closed and people were sliding all over the roads. Uhhhhh.... Ah, well. It doesn't last all that long there anyway. I was always more bothered by freezing rain "ice storm" and just general cold weather that froze the pipes that somebody decided could be on the outside of the house's insulation!

m

Archived