Gibson Brands Forums

An unholy mess of wires

Dougefresh91

I received the Epiphone Strat that I won on ebay last weekend. The neck pickup keeps going on and off so I decided to open it up and see what's going on. It's a hot mess. What do you guys recommend I do? It looks like the whole thing needs to be rewired.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9361394/2011-02-26%2013.03.00.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9361394/2011-02-26%2013.02.34.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9361394/2011-02-26%2013.02.06.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9361394/2011-02-26%2013.03.31.jpg

There's wires scotch taped together, and one or two not connected to anything at all. If I knew what I was doing I'd probably disassemble the whole mess so I can make sense of what's going on. Am I better off replacing some of these parts?

That is pretty messy, which might make it more difficult to isolate the problem. Unless you can identify exactly what your problem(s) is, it's difficult to advise what you should do. The pickup itself is probably not the problem, as pickups rarely go bad or intermittent. I got a used Strat awhile back that had such bad pots and switches that it was virtually unplayable. Being on a budget, I got an upgrade kit from Guitar Fetish that works very well.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Complete-Strat-Upgrade-Electrical-Component-Kit_p_180.html

If you can afford a few bucks, you might do better replacing the components, because you could rewire the guitar as is, only to discover one or more components are NFG, and then have to do it all over again.

ohgoditshorrible.gif

I don't know much about that guitar.

Is that a 3 way or 5 way switch?

At least 2 of the pots look to be 500k. I would think that with those type of pickups they should be 250k. (Don't know for sure as it is an Epi...but they are on my Strat)

A few possibilities (same as Bigneil's):

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiring_resources_guitar_wiring_diagrams.3_pickup_guitar_wiring_diagrams/

Willy

At least 2 of the pots look to be 500k. I would think that with those type of pickups they should be 250k. (Don't know for sure as it is an Epi...but they are on my Strat)

The Affinity Strat I rewired had 500k pots in it, and I thought they might have been replaced. But checking Fender's factory specs, I found that's what they use stock on those Squiers. The 250k pots in the upgrade kit worked fine, though. The guitar came with a 3-way switch, which was a mystery, but the 5-way it got provides more flexibility.

The Affinity Strat I rewired had 500k pots in it, and thought they might have been replace. But checking Fender's factory specs, I found that's what they use stock on those Squiers. The 250k pots in the upgrade kit worked fine, though. The guitar came with a 3-way switch, which was a mystery, but the 5-way it got provides more flexibility.

Good info....no reason why they shouldn't work.

Willy

ohgoditshorrible.gif

A few possibilities (same as Bigneil's):

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiring_resources_guitar_wiring_diagrams.3_pickup_guitar_wiring_diagrams/

Willy

LOL its a great website for diagrams. [thumbup]

Thanks for all the input, guys. These are indeed 500k pots. Idk who rewired this thing but they did an awful job.

In my experience installing car stereos I know it never pays to wire things half assed. So I'm thinking I want to put in all new electronics if I can do it on the cheap. Preferably under $100. I noticed the rewire kits they sell have unshielded wires. Does this matter? StewMac has a similar kit, as well as some prewired pickguards, but I'm thinking that's not the most cost effective solution.

Are these GFS pickups any good? Also what can I use to clean the bridge? Thanks for the help. I'm looking forward to getting this guitar back in shape.

If you can afford a few bucks, you might do better replacing the components, because you could rewire the guitar as is, only to discover one or more components are NFG, and then have to do it all over again.

i agree 100%. If you are not skilled or comfortable enough to rewire yourself; save more money and take it to a repair tech. must gc have techs in them now, or shop around the local mom and pop stores for repair services.

as for the components, i would order on-line. check out the do-it-yourself thread for sites!!!!

Doug: Obviously, if you have experience installing car audio, rewiring a guitar should be no problem. As I stated earlier, the GFS kit (15.95 plus shipping) works fine in my Strat. I used standard guitar hookup wire, which is basic, plastic-insulated 22-26 gauge copper, and it doesn't seem to present any problems with hum or interference. I suggest you try the existing pickups first, and see if you like how the guitar sounds. Naptha (Zippo lighter fluid) should be good for cleaning the bridge.

i agree 100%. If you are not skilled or comfortable enough to rewire yourself; save more money and take it to a repair tech. must gc have techs in them now, or shop around the local mom and pop stores for repair services.

as for the components, i would order on-line. check out the do-it-yourself thread for sites!!!!

Good suggestion, but if I were to go to a guitar tech, I would stay away from GC from a cost standpoint. Before I decided to replace my own pots, etc. on my G-400, I checked out the cost for this service at GC. It was $50.00 per component! One pot for $50.00. By the time I would have paid to have two tone pots and two volume pots replaced as well as the switch and jack, I would have paid more than I did for my used guitar! I hope all GCs aren't pricing this way -- maybe it is different in other regions.

Good suggestion, but if I were to go to a guitar tech, I would stay away from GC from a cost standpoint. Before I decided to replace my own pots, etc. on my G-400, I checked out the cost for this service at GC. It was $50.00 per component! One pot for $50.00. By the time I would have paid to have two tone pots and two volume pots replaced as well as the switch and jack, I would have paid more than I did for my used guitar! I hope all GCs aren't pricing this way -- maybe it is different in other regions.

That is just scandalous [cursing]

Thanks for all the input, guys. These are indeed 500k pots. Idk who rewired this thing but they did an awful job.

In my experience installing car stereos I know it never pays to wire things half assed. So I'm thinking I want to put in all new electronics if I can do it on the cheap. Preferably under $100. I noticed the rewire kits they sell have unshielded wires. Does this matter? StewMac has a similar kit, as well as some prewired pickguards, but I'm thinking that's not the most cost effective solution.

Are these GFS pickups any good? Also what can I use to clean the bridge? Thanks for the help. I'm looking forward to getting this guitar back in shape.

If you do it all yourself by sourcing components, reusing maybe some others, and using the diagrams for instructions you will learn about guiitar wiring, plus have the satisfaction of getting it working properly - kind of like putting your own DNA into the instrument (no puns intended here).

I do all my own work and have learnt by making mistakes, but also getting heaps of satisfaction in the process. Good luck with the project.

Stewart B[thumbup]

Doug: Obviously, if you have experience installing car audio, rewiring a guitar should be no problem. As I stated earlier, the GFS kit (15.95 plus shipping) works fine in my Strat. I used standard guitar hookup wire, which is basic, plastic-insulated 22-26 gauge copper, and it doesn't seem to present any problems with hum or interference. I suggest you try the existing pickups first, and see if you like how the guitar sounds. Naptha (Zippo lighter fluid) should be good for cleaning the bridge.

That sounds good, I like one-stop shopping. I'm going to order that wiring kit. Do I need to buy wire as well? I'm not seeing it on the website, and the kit doesn't really specify if it's included. I'm guessing it's not.

I found black pick guard screws, and I wanted to get black screws for the pickups, but they only have silver. Plus they kinda look the same as the ones that are in the guitar(they look like wood screws). But they're bothering me because some of them are crooked. Not sure what that's about, and I haven't had a free second to check on it since. The pickups kinda look like crap(aesthetically), too, but I'm gonna hold off on that for now.

I really don't want to pay someone to do this for me since it's something I'm pretty confident I can do myself. I can solder, and I can follow directions, so we'll see. Also, don't wanna spend the money. GC charged my friend $25 to change the 9-volt in her bass' active pickups. Such a rip. It irks me when I have to take my car to a mechanic, but I don't know how to fix cars, and a brake job is a little more serious(and possibly deadly) than tinkering with a cheap guitar.

Doug: Guitar Fetish has wire by the 100-foot roll: http://www.guitarfetish.com/Guitar-Hook-Up-Wire-26-gauge-Stranded-USA-Made-100ft-spools_p_409.html

You'll never need to buy wire again! But it's cheap.

Mount the stuff on a piece of cardboard, at their relative locations (I traced the pickguard holes), making sure the switch is facing the right way, and solder away. Allow some slack in the wires, so they can be positioned easily between the pickguard and the body cavity.

Funny you should mention cars and brake jobs - I've been fixing my own cars (and lots of other stuff) for over 40 years, and brake jobs is where it started. I feel safer doing these things myself as opposed to letting some careless schmuck mess with my car. Like any tech, luthiers included, they work against the clock to maximize time and profit, and that is often a recipe for shoddy work. I can do brakes a helluva lot faster than a guitar rewire. But when we're fixing our own stuff, we often have the desire to do it well, and the luxury of taking our time to make sure it's right. My repairs almost always work well - not because I'm particularly talented, but because I'm very careful.

Doug: Guitar Fetish has wire by the 100-foot roll: http://www.guitarfetish.com/Guitar-Hook-Up-Wire-26-gauge-Stranded-USA-Made-100ft-spools_p_409.html

You'll never need to buy wire again! But it's cheap.

Mount the stuff on a piece of cardboard, at their relative locations (I traced the pickguard holes), making sure the switch is facing the right way, and solder away. Allow some slack in the wires, so they can be positioned easily between the pickguard and the body cavity.

Funny you should mention cars and brake jobs - I've been fixing my own cars (and lots of other stuff) for over 40 years, and brake jobs is where it started. I feel safer doing these things myself as opposed to letting some careless schmuck mess with my car. Like any tech, luthiers included, they work against the clock to maximize time and profit, and that is often a recipe for shoddy work. I can do brakes a helluva lot faster than a guitar rewire. But when we're fixing our own stuff, we often have the desire to do it well, and the luxury of taking our time to make sure it's right. My repairs almost always work well - not because I'm particularly talented, but because I'm very careful.

You make a really good point there. [biggrin] I think I need to get an auto mechanics for dummies book, or something of that nature.

@AnimalFarm: I was looking at those pre-wired pickguards as well. I do like that idea since I get nice shiny new pickups and stuff--the ones that came with the guitar are beat up with cracked covers and mismatched hardware. I haven't actually ordered anything yet because I want to pull the wires apart and see what's really going on, and what needs to be replaced. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to find some time.

Archived