Gibson Brands Forums

Rope Binding??

jchabalk

I got another email about aaron lewis's guitar collection today from Gibson central. At the top of the link there was a picture of him playing what looks like a pretty cool acoustic that i was hoping there'd be more information about but unfortunately there isn't.

I've seen a couple of pictures of guitars with similar bindings. Here the link to the story

The one i'm talking about is what he's playing right at the top of the page, looks like an SJ-200 cutaway maybe with that crazy body binding and the 2 loops of it around the sound hole. Has anyone seen any of these before? I assume it's a custom / built to order deal but i'd love to see some more pictures of them.

it's kind of weird eh? that's why i'm interested in finding out some more about it. i like how gibson throws curve balls every once in a while.

i can't think of another guitar that doesn't have a round rosette ring around the sound hole except this one and the couple of others i've seen like this. don't be scared of it passthej45, just be (a little) scared of the guy playing it ;)

hey we all have our own tastes, that one just isnt for me. I prefer a more traditional look if im honest. Like a mate of mine has a blue tanglewood, i would never spend my money on a blue acoustic guitar, just not right!!

Eeehh, basically an egg shaped rosette around a circular s-hole (that becomes the yolk). The guitar itself looks as if it's from the Jumbo or Super Jumbo-department.

I'd need some time to get used to it , but it's no catastrophe.

Rosewood ?

... I assume it's a custom / built to order deal but i'd love to see some more pictures of them.

Here's a couple photos of Val Bolitho showing off the guitar when it was under construction in the Art Shop back in the summer of '09.

lewis1.jpg

lewis2.jpg

-- Bob R

that's awesome that you have pictures of it!

i'm also not so sure about the rosette, it's definitely different though eh? I do like the binding. it's hard to get a great look at it though, seems sort of similar to the herringbone but with another pattern in there.

Archived