Gibson Brands Forums

COLD AS H*** IN CALGARY

LPguitarman

Just got back last night from a three day business trip in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. It was -11F / -24C and reached -40C wind chill. How do you guys live up there in the Great White North? I couldn't stand that much cold very long. A bartender, at the Hotel I was staying in, told us they only had about 6-weeks of Summer last year. Brrrr...

The cold can wear on you after a while.

Started out this morning at -21C and going up to +4C this afternoon.

You really do get used to it.

At least we didn't get a lot of freezing rain this year.

I'm off to Las Vegas for a week on Sunday for work and expect it to be a balmy 65-70 F. I'm sure it will feel cool to the locals but it will be a heatwave to me.

Dave

I hate to say this, but that ain't really all that bad for the northern plains of the U.S. and Canadian prairie provinces.

Only -11F? No big deal, although in a snow storm with high winds it can be nasty for hauling guitars and amps around.

Cars don't even start to have real problems until -20F or so absolute temperatures. Wind chill is something to keep in mind, for sure.

Heck, I'll wager that Karen, the Gilliangirl, was out feeding her horse during a lotta that, and she's from right there.

We're looking, btw, at blizzard conditions here next Monday and Tuesday. Luckily it's not going to be much colder than the stuff mentioned in Alberta with the wind and added foot or so of snow. After all, Alberta gets it first and then Karen sends the winds and such this direction so I can complain about it too. <grin>

m

What I can't handle is how the daylight hours shrink in the winter. Then throw in all those cloudy days and you've got too much darkness. That's what wears on me.

You've got that right BigK.

At its worse, we wake up and it is dark. Drive to work, dark, drive home, dark.

One of these days I'm gonna move to Florida. I don't mind the heat, but winter is driving me nuts! And it is only in the 30's here in Maryland. I have nothing to complain about compared to our bros in Canada. I don't know how anyone survives up there. I couldn't take it.

It's simply a lifestyle one adopts or leaves.

Actually I have some Canadian friends I tease about being "Southerners" because they live farther to the south than I do.

When I moved to Memphis I had folks asking me what that electric plug was doing hanging out the front of my car. "Engine block heater," I said. Why? So the car would start more easily. Then at one point I knew a guy who lived in Mississippi who drove to the Dakotas in winter with 40-weight oil in his pickup. Yup, wouldn't start at all at -20F.

For what it's worth, though, again this year I never had my cold weather gear out. It never got below -30F. I will say this, though: I didn't take a guitar out at the coldest.

m

Yup here in rural Saskatchewan we have had a few cold days.. those nice ones where its below 40 before you consider the windchill. my coldest day while being here was -54 before wind chill.. that was an interesting walk to the store.

As a newcommer to Canada people ask me of my first memories.. well frozen snot is my first saskatchewan memory, got out the airport and the inside of my nose freezing up.. great fun!

Tartan...

The ... effect ... you mention is how I figure if it's getting chilly or not. <grin>

m

Its got to the stage now, the wife gives me heck for going outdoors without a coat when its around -10 to -15. it actually feels reasonably mild when it gets to those temperatures.

Tartan...

Yupper. I've just been wearing a bomber jacket although it's a little chilly at -30 F. Now that it's warming up, I doubt the cold weather gear will come out. But I don't do outside work, either. I wore the warm boots once this year for a cupla days.

m

Archived