Gibson Brands Forums

Identify Grandpa's Gibson

croach

Have an old electric guitar that belonged to my grandfather that's been in storage for 15+years. Faded "Gibson" on the headstock so I thought someone here could help me identify and possibly give me a lead for restoration here locally (Southeast TN/North GA.) I am NOT interested in selling this guitar as it is one of very few things I have left that he owned. I know very little about it (or guitars period) but I do remember him playing it when I was a child in the 80's, it is a solid body and appears to be all there minus one inlay on the neck. It has been played A LOT as the paint is worn off the back of the neck near the top (actually think that's very cool.) Anyway, if someone can tell me what it is, how to identify it and what I should/should not do as far as restoration/preservation it would be greatly appreciated.

post-31380-049289700 1299343218_thumb.jpg

Love to, but can't play. Perfect excuse to learn I guess. Thanks.

Might as well, take it to a luthier to see how much it would run to get everything back in order. If it's that heavily played it may need some fretwork. A refinish can get kind of costly, personally I would just have it checked out and play it but of course it's your guitar do what you want to do.

Definitely not a Gibson

Looks like it has a bolt on neck

The output Jack might be a broken tone control pot

Metal pick up bezels

Looks like non sealed tuers

MY guess is Korean or Taiwanese

Archived