Gibson Brands Forums

Describe the Gibson sound

livemusic

I have a new Gibson J45 standard. I love the sound. I have three Martins and a boatload of other guitars, Taylor, Washburn, Guild, CA, several cheap imports. But hmmmm, this Gibson sound is seriously cool. It's the bass notes I guess. It has a darkness to it.

I have a Jackson Browne Model A that will be here this coming week, can't wait to see how it sounds.

How would you describe the Gibson sound? Or, do you think it varies a lot or is there a common denominator? If so, what makes it so? What's their secret?

Off to thin the heard, haha.

The Gibson sound.....words are hard to find to describe it! But you know it when you hear it! Yea, it's that dark, low bottom-end that comes across with the spot-on mids. Highs are clear and crisp. "You can just feel it in your bones when you play one" kinda sound. Nuthin' comes close!

I believe Martin dreadnoughts are very fine guitars. But to me their force is a - have to say positive neutrality - which gives you and your style* the optimal possibility to create the character of a performance. You go and they'll follow.

The Gibsons I know and have met holds an extra factor. The G-sound, , , and it's right there playing along with you - working pro or against the picture while painting the canvas up.

To me the G-sound is a certain voice felt in your ears and fingers the second you grab the guitar. A texture of something woody vintage, a bassy kick - in that so called thumpy way - and at best a tone-core, almost impossible to explain. - I know other more incarnated players can and hopefully they will get further than this.

In short I'd say :

Martin is the perfect servant – makes you feel you are the Duke.

With Gibson there is a co-star in the manege.

*not to forget the choice of action -

I've played a LOT of Gibsons......and I don't think you can generalize about the sound. I have three COMPLETELY different Gibsons, all keepers, and they ALL sound different!........however.....they do have something different than Martin, Taylor, Guild and others....like a cold day and a woman in a halter top, I just can't put my finger on it......however, it is unique....

Great description here especially comapring Martin to Gibson, very much agree with this summary.

I do believe there are acutally quite a lot of consistent Gibson 'elements' between models.

For me its the strong note seperation, overall balance, thumping bass, lovelly growl and a cracking midrange that Taylors and Martins only dream of !

Some are more emphasised than others but these elements seem to be consistent between most Gibson acoustics.

I believe Martin dreadnoughts are very fine guitars. But to me their force is a - have to say positive neutrality - which gives you and your style* the optimal possibility to create the character of a performance. You go and they'll follow.

The Gibsons I know and have met holds an extra factor. The G-sound, , , and it's right there playing along with you - working pro or against the picture while painting the canvas up.

To me the G-sound is a certain voice felt in your ears and fingers the second you grab the guitar. A texture of something woody vintage, a bassy kick - in that so called thumpy way - and at best a tone-core, almost impossible to explain. - I know other more incarnated players can and hopefully they will get further than this.

In short I'd say :

Martin is the perfect servant – makes you feel you are the Duke.

With Gibson there is a co-star in the manege.

*not to forget the choice of action -

While I've heard a lot of great sounding Martins, I've only played a few that sounded good to me when I've been playing them. Martin has a dry sound. Gibson has a more jangly sound that seems to lend itself better to emotional,ie blues oriented music. More bluegrass pickers use Martins. If I ever find a Martin that I really like then I'll buy one. Just haven't found it.

I have a new Gibson J45 standard. I love the sound. I have three Martins and a boatload of other guitars, Taylor, Washburn, Guild, CA, several cheap imports. But hmmmm, this Gibson sound is seriously cool. It's the bass notes I guess. It has a darkness to it.

I have a Jackson Browne Model A that will be here this coming week, can't wait to see how it sounds.

How would you describe the Gibson sound? Or, do you think it varies a lot or is there a common denominator? If so, what makes it so? What's their secret?

Off to thin the heard, haha.

WOW a JB Model A Plz post some pics and a sound clip when you get it... now to your question.

With Gibson its a process, Martins, Taylors and the like you get because you "want" one ...but Gibson......

When you hear a Gibson you want to play one,because your ear tells you, you must... when you play a Gibson, your soul tells you, you need to own one, and one is never enough.

When you hear a Gibson you want to play one, because your ear tells you must... when you play a Gibson, your soul tells you you need to own one, and one is never enough.

Yes.

Bravo !

Very nicely put Sjl200. Poetic, soulful. Great statement. [thumbup]

A +1 for you.

Archived