Gibson Brands Forums

I Hate Open C Chords

Rocky4

I don't feel like I'm in control

Any string slightly out of tune and it sounds bad

You have to play the whole chord to sound good

If you catch the E string it sounds bad

I usually hit the D on the B string to liven it up, but that doesn't always cut it in certain songs.....

.......just ranting.......

I don't feel like I'm in control

Any string slightly out of tune and it sounds bad

You have to play the whole chord to sound good

If you catch the E string it sounds bad

I usually hit the D on the B string to liven it up, but that doesn't always cut it in certain songs.....

.......just ranting.......

open C?...oh that thing! jeez it's been many yrs since i played that basic chord i forgot all about it, maybe i'll see you up here at the top of the guitar playing tree one day [laugh]

C is fine by me, C7 I have to think about a bit and the C7 shape in other positions of the neck I have to think about a lot.

Open F is always a ***** and the barre equivalent although much easier does not sound the same.

I never liked it because I feel like its going against a natural force. Little finger stretching the furthest? No.

no, easy as 1 2 3...if ya have trouble with basic chords like that then i suggest you take up another hobby...stamp collecting maybe? :-k

I would suggest its one of the most simple and basic chords used in so many songs or "3 chord wonder" versions of songs. Never had a problem with it or other "C" variations. Something i have started doing recently is holding down 3rd fret on the low E also. It just gives it a little more bass and resonance.

If it feels your fingers are being unaturally stretched then you need more practice with that particular shape

Ok, Rocky....Is something wrong with your guitar, why doesn't your C chord ring true? And if you want to eliminate the accidental Low E intrusion, bring your pinky in on the action. Plant that little sucker on the third fret (G Note), that way if you hit that string your doubling the fifth as opposed to the Third (E Note). A doubled Fifth will fatten the chord nicely, while doubling the the third makes it sound more like Em with an augmented 5th.

Steve...Why have you been avoiding open chords, they're not "Basic" they're "Open". Believe it or not, many many professional players who practice advanced composition frequently employ open chords. They're not just for beginners, they're for all of us.

I never liked it because I feel like its going against a natural force. Little finger stretching the furthest? No.

After you have been playing for a while, I think you will find that the little finger is the one that usually stretches the furthest.

Or at least it does with me.

C is fine by me, C7 I have to think about a bit and the C7 shape in other positions of the neck I have to think about a lot.

Open F is always a ***** and the barre equivalent although much easier does not sound the same.

I live to play minor 7th chords!

Ok, Rocky....Is something wrong with your guitar, why doesn't your C chord ring true? And if you want to eliminate the accidental Low E intrusion, bring your pinky in on the action. Plant that little sucker on the third fret (G Note), that way if you hit that string your doubling the fifth as opposed to the Third (E Note). A doubled Fifth will fatten the chord nicely, while doubling the the third makes it sound more like Em with an augmented 5th.

Steve...Why have you been avoiding open chords, they're not "Basic" they're "Open". Believe it or not, many many professional players who practice advanced composition frequently employ open chords. They're not just for beginners, they're for all of us.

I have small hands and have always had trouble using my pinky. I'll give it a shot though, thanks.

Guest FarnsBarns

One thing worth remembering is that to make a major chord you only need a 1st, a 3rd and a 5th. I play blues and I often play that kind of rhythm and lead at the same time style. this means finding smaller alternatives to barre chords.

If you are having problems with open C chords try using the basic open Emaj shape. (I've indicated where you can grab the diminished 7th too)

1/E|---|---|---|---|---

2/B|---|---|-7-|---|---

3/D|-O-|---|---|---|---

4/G|---|-O-|---|---|---

5/A|---|-O-|---|---|---

6/E|---|---|---|---|---

This is built as follows...

1/E|---|---|---|---|---

2/B|---|---|---|---|---

3/D|3rd|---|---|---|---

4/G|---|1st|---|---|---

5/A|---|5th|---|---|---

6/E|---|---|---|---|---

Move it to string 4,5 and 6 (middle finger on the 6th string, ring finger on the 5th string and index finger on the 4th string)...

1/E|-x-|---|---|---|---

2/B|-x-|---|---|---|---

3/D|-x-|---|---|-7-|---

4/G|-O-|---|---|---|---

5/A|---|-O-|---|---|---

6/E|---|-O-|---|---|---

(I've indicated where you can grab the diminished 7th too)

That's giving you a Bmaj with just a 1st, a 3rd and a 5th. Pull it all up one fret and you got a simple Cmaj with just a 1st, 3rd and 5th...

1/E|-x-|---|---|---|---

2/B|-x-|---|---|---|---

3/D|-x-|---|---|---|-7-

4/G|---|-O-|---|---|---

5/A|---|---|-O-|---|---

6/E|---|---|-O-|---|---

You can use this chord shape anywhere on the fret board on either strings 3, 4 and 5 or on 4, 5 and 6 and you can grab the dimiminished 7th as indicated.

You can use your index finger to touch the D or B string (depending on which strings you are playing the chord on) to deaden it.

This works particularly well with the Emaj shape because you just happen to be fretting the 1st, 3rd and 5th but you can do the same with any open chord shape although some require either some cunning deadening (don't forget about harmonic spots which adds to the complexity coz they ring even if deadened) or by adopting a finger picking method to pluck strings selectively.

One final point, when playing an open Cmaj chord you can use the tip of you ring finger, which is on the A string to deaden the E string too.

If you like this but it is a bit confusing shout here and I might be persuaded to take some photos/make a video!

The 4-finger C chord is easier with the pinky on the 5th string and the 3rd finger on the 6th string. The opposite is awkward, IMO.

But using your pinky allows it to grab a 7th when you need to. It feels akward at first, but it also strengthens you little finger and improves pinky dexterity.

Improving Dexterity will always feel awkward at first.

Guest FarnsBarns

Guitar players talking about guitars on a guitar forum?

I know, it is a bit novel just recently isn't it!

One thing worth remembering is that to make a major chord you only need a 1st, a 3rd and a 5th. I play blues and I often play that kind of rhythm and lead at the same time style. this means finding smaller alternatives to bar chords.

If you are having problems with open C chords try using the basic open Emaj shape. (I've indicated where you can grab the diminished 7th too)

1/E|---|---|---|---|---

2/B|---|---|-7-|---|---

3/D|-O-|---|---|---|---

4/G|---|-O-|---|---|---

5/A|---|-O-|---|---|---

6/E|---|---|---|---|---

This is built as follows...

1/E|---|---|---|---|---

2/B|---|---|---|---|---

3/D|3rd|---|---|---|---

4/G|---|1st|---|---|---

5/A|---|5th|---|---|---

6/E|---|---|---|---|---

Move it to string 4,5 and 6 (middle finger on the 6th string, ring finger on the 5th string and index finger on the 4th string)...

1/E|-x-|---|---|---|---

2/B|-x-|---|---|---|---

3/D|-x-|---|---|-7-|---

4/G|-O-|---|---|---|---

5/A|---|-O-|---|---|---

6/E|---|-O-|---|---|---

That's giving you a Bmaj with just a 1st, a 3rd and a 5th. Pull it all up one fret and you got a simple Cmaj with just a 1st, 3rd and 5th...

1/E|-x-|---|---|---|---

2/B|-x-|---|---|---|---

3/D|-x-|---|---|---|-7-

4/G|---|-O-|---|---|---

5/A|---|---|-O-|---|---

6/E|---|---|-O-|---|---

You can use this chord shape anywhere on the fret board on either strings 3, 4 and 5 or on 4, 5 and 6 and you can grab the dimiminished 7th as indicated.

You can use your index finger to touch the D or B string (depending on which strings you are playing the chord on) to deaden it.

You can do the same with any open chord shape although some require either some cunning deadening (don't forget about harmonic spots which adds to the complexity coz they ring even if deadened) or by adopting a finger picking method to pluck strings selectively.

One final point, when playing an open Cmaj chord you can use the tip of you ring finger, which is on the A string to deaden the E string too.

If you like this but it is a bit confusing shout here and I might be persuaded to take some photos/make a video!

As in my original post, sometimes you just need a C. I play minor 7ths 90% of the time.

Guest FarnsBarns

As in my original post, sometimes you just need a C. I play minor 7ths 90% of the time.

Edit: I think I just worked out what you mean. The dim7 positions I showed are just optional. Don't use it of you don't need Cdim7

Guitar players talking about guitars on a guitar forum?

Hey, you started it [flapper][thumbup]

Ya know what else just occurred to me (getting back to your C chord), You might need bigger strings. When I was making the transition from Beginner to Intermediate I recall having a hard time keeping Open C and most barre chords in tune. Finger and hands might have just gotten too strong for your strings.

Or you, if you like your stings, you might have to lighten your touch.

Hey, you started it [flapper][thumbup]

Ya know what else just occurred to me (getting back to your C chord), You might need bigger strings. When I was making the transition from Beginner to Intermediate I recall having a hard time keeping Open C and most barre chords in tune. Finger and hands might have just gotten too strong for your strings.

Or you, if you like your stings, you might have to lighten your touch.

Yeah, that has a lot to do with it. Something about the root/ 3rd open chords that give me trouble. The G doesn't bother me as much.

Archived