Gibson Brands Forums

Need Help on Pickups for SG400

shinie194

Alright so I've been thinking about changing pickups for my epi sg-400 that I got awhile back. It currently has stocks in them but i'm planning to replace

just the bridge as that's the only pickups that I mainly use to record as of right now. They are really weak and muddy sounding to me so I was hoping to get a replacement

in but i'm not sure which pickups to get. I'm trying to get a alternative/poppunk/rock sound out of it such as fall out boy, bowling for soup, four year strong, etc..

I've tried out a schecter w/ seymour duncan customs in them and it sounds good but it lacked a lot of punch. Would a seymour duncan sh-4 jb be good for the sg400? I've heard

things about mahogany bodies and the jb pickups.. Hot rails or 59's? I need your help!!

Thanks!

I have a SH-4 JB in the bridge of my Vintage G-400 and a Pearly Gates in the neck and they are absolutely killer together. They sound great playing just about anything from clean to metal. I have no hesitation recommending them.

I've got a 2006 G400, and I think the bridge pup sounds great.

What year is yours?

And like fringe asked, what kind of amp are you going through? There are a lot of things you can do to change the sound/tone of those pups without buying new ones. You may want to consider raising or lowering them (if you haven't already). That can make a world of difference. Or raising/lowering the pole pieces. And other things.

But again, what kind of amp?

I was leaning towards the Pearly Gates for the bridge in my G-400 until...... I heard the P-Rails. I'm sold on them. The P-90 sound plus 2 humbucker sounds plus a single coil rail. Too cool for school. Check out the sound bytes at duncan's site. Also see if you can find a you tube demo by someone called liongraulty (I think). He plays a very mean slide guitar on a flat top LP outfitted with the P-Rails. He has several videos of the P-Rails in different modes. They're great. Definitely sold me on the P-Rails. [thumbup]

My G-400is a year old. I also think the bridge isn't as crisp as I would like it to be. My plan is a pair of P-Rails.

Happy Choosing.

It's an 08 model and I use a mesa single rectifier and a marshall 1960a cab wtih v30's G12 right now and I've tried out a 6505, ac30, and a valveking with this guitar and compared it w/

other guitars and I gotta say the pickups are not doing it for me :( The difference was pretty huge when I compared it. I'm mainly interested in recording currently so I'm trying my best

to get the best sound out of a tight budget.. I can spend pretty much up to 200 for a really damn good bridge pickup. I've tried a sg400 with the invader in it and I didn't really like it. Does the JB sh-4 work on specific models or is it suitable for all? I'm just looking for the best pickup for a pop punk guitar to cut through with a damn good punch and tone.

-Thanks

• 1 month later...

The problem with pickup choice is that it is such a subjective issue that every one will have a different idea of what sounds good.

You should Google some of your Guitar heroes and find out what sort of amp, guitar, pickup combinations they are using.

The problem with pickup choice is that it is such a subjective issue that every one will have a different idea of what sounds good.

You should Google some of your Guitar heroes and find out what sort of amp, guitar, pickup combinations they are using.

+1

I agree. Also, when you are trying to nail another guitar player's tone, look at what amp(s) they are using FIRST! It has way more influence on their sound than their guitar. IMO anyway.

I agree. Also, when you are trying to nail another guitar player's tone, look at what amp(s) they are using FIRST! It has way more influence on their sound than their guitar. IMO anyway.

Definitely want to research what GEAR He/She/It is using.

I was trying to figure out HOW to get the Lead TONE for a couple of my

fave bands - Whitesnake and Night Ranger. All dead ends until I stumbled

across a website with an interview with the lead player from NightRanger.

He gets his tone from not only the distortion of the amp, BUT he ALSO

puts it thru a PHASE SHIFTER turned all the way down to give it that extra

"edge"... Sure enough, I tried it and it DOES put the edge in there.

Now me happy. [thumbup]

Archived