Gibson Brands Forums

No Stairway to heaven!

Guest Farnsbarns

I hate playing in music shops and generally just play up and down a pentatonic blues scale with a couple of twiddley bits (Maybe a 12 bar if the shop is quiet) a few times to get a feel for neck and action, clean and with gain, do the same on a few major and minor scales, play all the open chords, and a few barres and then check every string at ever fret, and bend them to check for a buzz-free clear tone, and then check intonation. I also check all the tuners feel solid, all the switches and knobs and controls to check for function and obviously to get an idea of the tonal range of the instrument.

I know it's me but in a music shop I can feel a million sets of eyes (and ears) piercing the back of my head and I can't concentrate on the instrument if I play anything proper at all.

I reckon I leave most music store employees with the impression I can't play guitar!

I really do appreciate these feelings, and they used to get to me a lot, but the reason why I play what I do when I try out gear (and I should've mentioned, it's not a hard-and-fast thing--sometimes I do, sometimes I don't) is because, first of all, I feel that a good way to get a real feel for the uses and limitations of whatever you're trying out (be it guitar, amp, pedal, strap, stand, pick, strings, top hat etc.) is to play a few pieces that you're likely to play on a regular basis, and are technically similar to other pieces you would be likely to play. A secondary reason, though (and this is a little exploitative and unkind of me towards the other people in the store, but it's true) is so that I can get used to playing guitar in an environment where there are other people. I don't care whether or not they listen, and I don't care whether or not they like the material I'm playing, because it's not a concert--what I care about is that, while I play, other people are able to go about their business. Also, it helps that I usually try to test gear at "bedroom" levels since that's where I'm likely to be playing. See, I used to just play scales up and down the neck when I tested gear--I stopped doing that once I realized that I spent more time at home playing Megadeth and Annihilator tunes than I did playing dominant seventh arpeggios (which was also the reason why I restructured my practice routine to contain more dominant seventh arpeggios, but that's a story for another day.)

Basically, the fact that I haven't been turned down in a music store yet is either because everyone who's heard me play has been too polite to do it, I've been too polite to turn the volume up too loud, or nobody's been bothered enough by my playing to care. All of these possibilities give me some degree of comfort.

But, back to the topic at hand--the music store near my school has a "NO STAIRWAY" sign right above the Les Pauls. Just like in the movie. [biggrin]

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest FarnsBarns

You're missing the point here, it's not anything to do with the song itself, it's a great song! The problem is when people come into the store who cannot play the great song and butcher it repeatedly that the "No Stairway" thing came up. It's not that they don't want to hear it, it's that they don't want to hear YOU play it.

That song has one of my favourite solos also, and I don't want to hear Joe Ahole play it when I'm trying to do my shopping or trying out an instrument at the music store. The guys and gals working at a music store, also don't want to hear it all day.

No no, I get that, I'm not taking about in a music store, it is frowned upon full stop, among guitarists!

No no, I get that, I'm not taking about in a music store, it is frowned upon full stop, among guitarists!

Ah, well all I can say there is that many people resent what's popular for no other reason other than it's popular. So maybe that's it?

Guest FarnsBarns

Ah, well all I can say there is that many people resent what's popular for no other reason other than it's popular. So maybe that's it?

I s'pose they also just think it's cool to not like it because of the film, signs in shops etc.

Out of a the people I have heard say how easy Stairway is to play, I have only experienced a handful who can actually play it properly.

Over played by guitarists of a certain generation? Perhaps, but still a finely crafted song!

Interesting how the topic has developed regarding trying out gear. Where ever possible, I am much more comfortable trying gear in a sound proof room. I agree it is not an audition and also don't feel good playing over someone else. To evaluate it properly you need just that sound and nothing else.

Matt

^^Agreed, 100%.^^

On the topic of music stores, and evaluating gear...personally, I hate the experience. I hate walking into a store where there's 10 dudes all plugged in and turning their amp up louder than the next guy...butchering Smoke On The Water, or something like that. How can I evaluate a guitar or an amp if I can't even hear it? It's a bit of a catch 22, because I totally understand where Duane is coming from also. Maybe I wouldn't dislike the experience so much if stores were filled with people who could play, versus someone just trying to kill some time.

I was at GC the other day, trying out a Trad Pro, and I chose this nice cozy corner of the amp section which no one else was around. Out of approximately 3 double-sided aisles, 2 shelves high, of all amps...some kid comes and literally sits down next to me, and plugs into the amp next to mine. That's like....saddling up to a urinal right next to some guy, when there were 8 open urinals somewhere else. You just don't do it. You go somewhere else or wait. But that's me.

I immediately unplugged the guitar (which I was loving, by the way), gave it back to the rep, and left.

Maybe I'm just grumpy. [huh]

Here you go, now you can all shout "Dude... No Stairway!" at me...

Dude...Yes Stairway! Great rendition. It is a great song, overplay not withstanding. It came on the radio last week (I hadn't heard it in a looong time) and I cranked it up.

I've always wondered why it is that playing Stairway has always been considered a bit of a joke?

It's clearly a great tune and, if played with some finesse, is a beautiful song.

I think because it is so universally known. It was quite popular and anyone who was in High School in the 70's had a prom themed, "Stairway to Heaven."

As such it was played and replayed ad nauseum. To those of us who lived through it, we now find it comical.

Kind of like the song "If" by Bread. My sisters and I, young-teens at the time, lived through a summer when it seemed every other weekend a cousin was getting married. Almost without fail, "If" was played during the church service. This was made all the more humorous by the fact that all the weddings were cookie cutter perfect in their indentical-ity. From the reception decorations to the white plastic table runner used as the white carpet, unrolled by other cousins, from the altar to the back of the church. I swear to goodness that it was the same roll for each wedding.... The last time I saw it, it was nearly depleted and the plastic had begun to stick to itself, making it comedic-ly difficult to unroll. I think one of the uncles jumped up to stand on the tag end of the white runner whilst the ushers struggled to unroll it. Imagine the sound of duct tape being unfurled and the sound it makes. Now multiply that times 30!.. the entire length of the church.

When the organist played the first measure of "If", we knew it by heart, all I had to do was look at my sisters and roll my eyes :rolleyes: and the three of us were off the the; shoulders hopping, red in the face, muffled giggles, races. [lol] [lol] [lol] Whomever had the distinction of sitting next to Mom, got a firmly placed elbow in the ribs.

[woot] [woot] [omg][woot] [woot]

So, I guess to make a long story longer, it is not that the song, in and of its self is not funny. We, the ones who grew up on it, attach fond, chuckling memories associated with it.

Blah to those complaining about STH [thumbdn]

We used to look forward to seeing Song Remains The Same in the theatre every Friday at midnight.... It was the longest showing movie in the theatres in SoCal back in the 70's and early 80's, and it was always packed with rock n rollers.. We couldnt get enough of Zep [thumbup]

If today's younger rockers had half the enthusiasm about rock / metal as we did in the late 70's and throughout the 80's. Maybe rap and hip-hop would be kicking the crap out of rock n roll in terms of popularity.

JMO

You're missing the point here, it's not anything to do with the song itself, it's a great song! The problem is when people come into the store who cannot play the great song and butcher it repeatedly that the "No Stairway" thing came up. It's not that they don't want to hear it, it's that they don't want to hear YOU play it.

That song has one of my favourite solos also, and I don't want to hear Joe Ahole play it when I'm trying to do my shopping or trying out an instrument at the music store. The guys and gals working at a music store, also don't want to hear it all day.

This isn't stairway, but you get the idea

I think you have it nailed here. It's not the song that's the problem, it's the millions of up-start players who tried playing it incessantly in countless guitar shops across the globe, for decades.

Those little videos are hilarious too. His expressions say it all.

I think you have it nailed here. It's not the song that's the problem, it's the millions of up-start players who tried playing it incessantly in countless guitar shops across the globe, for decades.

Those little videos are hilarious too. His expressions say it all.

And I hope all the up-start players continue to do so [thumbup] ....

I'd rather hear players make an attempt at playing a song that was written by arguably the greatest guitar player in rock-n-roll, than listening to a bunch of forumites *****ing about players playing STH any day of the week.... if given the choice [biggrin]

I don't frown upon it, never liked the song at all. I tend to just fiddle on scales on an amp I'm considering buying. Recently I've always rushed to the blues junior first thing, probably going to be my next purchase.

I wasn't alive for the song to be beaten the hell out of, but you play what you want to play, and let me do the same. I'm set [thumbup]

I really like this arrangement of Stairway

A fantastically interesting arrangement !

Quite a few sounds and methods brought to the table - classical, jazz, flamenco, rock . . . .

Thanks Matt . . . .

Now I'm going to take out my nylon player and work that a bit . . . . . at my level. B)

Today is Stairway Day at Kahuna's . . [flapper]

I really like this arrangement of Stairway

Thanks for that Matt. They play well together. It got a lot better when she started playing. She kept him focused. He was losing me with the intro.

To comment on an earlier reference, I lived through the STH era and though the song was as overplayed as anything I can think of, I never heard it referred to as comical until today. To make any association between it and anything Bread ever did is hard to fathom. Bread is comical now because they were comical then, overplayed or not. They were overplayed the first time I heard them.

Guest FarnsBarns

Some just think of me as a Moderator.... Some even believe I don't even play or own the gear I post [confused]

Ahh, I believe you Duane!

I seem to remember when I was in HS, playing my guitar at lunch time, girls would come up all the time and want me to play stairway. As I think about it, I can't really explain why. But I have always been pretty dense when it comes to the opposite sex.

But, I have to say, I have played that song way, way too much.

I seem to remember when I was in HS, playing my guitar at lunch time, girls would come up all the time and want me to play stairway. As I think about it, I can't really explain why. But I have always been pretty dense when it comes to the opposite sex.

LOL!! Stein cheers to the dumb male side of our brains!

When I was 15 at Tennis club, this sixth form girl (about 17) came and met me at the water machine and said "Matt, it is my school dance in two weeks and I haven't got someone to go with, "I thought about it and said "don't worry, it is two whole weeks away, you'll find someone in that time" and then went back to the tennis court msp_scared.gif

She was quite nice as well.... damn fool!!! LMAO

Matt

LOL!! Stein cheers to the dumb male side of our brains!

When I was 15 at Tennis club, this sixth form girl (about 17) came and met me at the water machine and said "Matt, it is my school dance in two weeks and I haven't got someone to go with, "I thought about it and said "don't worry, it is two whole weeks away, you'll find someone in that time" and then went back to the tennis court msp_scared.gif

She was quite nice as well.... damn fool!!! LMAO

Matt

HA! guys like us, we don't even get a chance to wonder if they are out of our league when we don't know we are at the try outs!

Just you be careful, I seen what you can do with a guitar, and that can get you in a LOT of trouble.

Archived