Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Stands

SilverLesterStd

Thanks!

Blame the wife.

I would have never spent the money on those cabinets, she insisted.

Here's the big one in my playroom, the thing is 8 feet tall!

You can see I keep one Rockstand and a few singles there. The boy has the fifth one.

My big amps are in the living room, adjacent to this, the other guitar cabinet is now in my office.

She allowed me to have this little nook just off the main living room if I kept my toys put away.

I can stretch out if friends come over, scoot some furniture around and ROCK!

2428353969_97366848f5.jpg?v=0

With two very young children on the loose I will stick to keeping the guitars in their cases.

Thanks!!! How quickly we forget... I, too, kept my guitars locked in their cases when my kids were little... also stuck in the very back of my bedroom closet, just in front of the gun cases.

Excellent point!

Thanks! This was a greatly educational topic, (lucky for my new LP) even the guys at Guitar Center today had no clue, but my luthier friend knew about this problem. I went on-line and looked it up and the "Off the Wall" guitar hangers do say safe for all finishes too, but my Fret Rest by Pro Line said not safe for Nitro. Wouldn't cotton gauze or ace bandage be a good solution as you could just wrap it around and around the foam on the stands?

Thanks! This was a greatly educational topic' date=' (lucky for my new LP) even the guys at Guitar Center today had no clue, but my luthier friend knew about this problem. I went on-line and looked it up and the "Off the Wall" guitar hangers do say safe for all finishes too, but my Fret Rest by Pro Line said not safe for Nitro. Wouldn't cotton gauze or ace bandage be a good solution as you could just wrap it around and around the foam on the stands?[/quote']

You could use cotton socks... or terry cloth towels seems to be popular also.

Chan, I never called anybody a liar. The distinction between "actual factual" info was meant to convey what I found out by long term experience with one of the named products, as opposed to the other stuff I mentioned about the ad copy that I've noticed has changed (I haven't bought a Hercules, and I suspect they are still perfectly safe but the beancounters and lawyers decided it wasn't worth making that representation anymore). Nice to know you kept your box, but that Rock-stand sticks to nitro - it make a sickening 'thighs on black vinyl upholstery in August' sound, and left a dull area on the lacquer that needed to be buffed out of my Highway One. So even Hercules changed their ad copy and nobody's making any promises. It leaves us to check for other people's experience as to what works, which is what I was trying to help the OP do. I'm not backpedaling except maybe to re-think whether this forum is full of kids who are very opinionated and not open to anyone else's sense of expression. Dismayed to say that seems to be a theme of the easy-to-find manufacturer's forums.

Think about it Rockstand is not the same price point as Hercules, more ofthen than not it's what they're pushing on holiday weekend sales. Are you willing to guarantee payment of the finish repair if the OP goes to the big box music store and buys the cheapest brand of stand that they happen to carry just because you read something on the box?

Bob. I'm not a kid, and in th USA, if you put it on the box, the law says it has to be true. It's called Truth in Advertising, and any issues with my guitar are actionable. If that were not the case, charging $70 for a stand that will result in $700 worth of repair doesn't make much business sense, now does it?

My stand is only a few months old, unlike your premise that I got an old one. It still doesn't discount the others who have also contradicted your point. I am just the only one dumb enough to still be trying to educate you.

But, suddenly, as if by magic, that just changed. Consider a career in Politics, you'd be a natural.

Have a GREAT Sunday!

Rrrright. So why did Hercules change their ad copy, which in 2007 used to say that the rubber was specially tested to be safe for nitrocellulose finishes, and now they no longer make that promise - the "specially formulated foam rubber" is now sold with a caveat: "Guitar manufacturers employ differing types of finishes and finishing techniques. Please refer to your owner's manual for information regarding proper storage of your instrument. "

If your precious truth in advertising law (and I gotta love how you non-lawyers love to say "it's the law") is operating here, then even the high-end high quality stand maker is backing off the "nitro-safe" promise. My three-guitar Rockstand brand stand wasn't seventy bucks, and it ain't nitro safe.

Bob. I'm not a kid' date=' and in th USA, if you put it on the box, the law says it has to be true. It's called Truth in Advertising[/quote']

Aw man... how cool would be if that applied down here!!! :o

Here they can advertise a real Gibson for less than $99... and end selling you a fake for more than 4K and you can do nothing.

Speaking as a man who has minor finish damage on two guitars worth $5,000 I'll repeat my mantra;

Cotton is cheap.

Finish damage is forever.

You decide.

IT HAPPENED TO ME ON STANDS THAT ARE "NITRO-SAFE"!!! Made by Quick Lok, great stands, but...

My dealer (this was 15 years ago) told me "Yeah, I wouldn't take a chance" but I had black Les Pauls at the time.

A few years later, on those very same stands, I learned the hard way on my cherryburst LP and cherry 335.

The damage is subtle, but it's forever.

The only variable I can see is that I lived in Houston where it's warm and very humid year 'round.

What difference that made for me, I dunno...

Take action against a company that manufactures their sh!t in Bangladesh? Yeah right.

Spend a million dollars, you'll never get a judgement against them in the US.

They might be nice and refund the retail cost of the stand, whoopie!

You guys are trying to "win" a bullsh!t argument.

You wanna put your Gibson on supposedly safe foam rubber, go ahead.

I don't care.

BUT;

I would stop short of advocating anything that might damage somebody else's guitar.

Seems the right thing to do is to advise on the side of caution.

I can assure you a nice, thick white cotton towel ain't gonna damage any finish - or a sock, or wash cloth, or cut t-shirt...

Rock on....

Neo

What about just cutting off the foam rubber with a razor knife and leaving just the metal. You would just have to put the guitar on the stand carefully. Any other ideas except socks, as they don't look so good to me and they are bulky. I just want something I can wrap around it cleanly and evenly.

i agree and I usually use cotton or moleskin "whatever that is made out of" on all stands the only exception is the Off the Wall brand hanging hooks which have a hard plastic coating (think tool coating like a pliers handle that says it's safe for nitro and my personal experience concurs I have 16 of these hooks and have not had any issue in the last eight years. thats all I use in the studio they have an attractive good finish and solid cast bases that are well constructed with three screw holes that stay tight. Whatever they use seems to be safe without the cotton sock hanging on the wall look and like I said not a mark and the guitars hang there whenever not being played.

Here's a reply I got from Hercules after emailing them regarding their stands being nitro-safe or not...

During the research and development process of the Hercules foam' date=' many tests were done on instruments with various lacquers, including nitrocellulose lacquer. These included subjecting the instruments on the stand to heat, cold and normal temperatures for periods of up to six months. All of the tests conducted by the factory showed that the foam was non-reactive to the various finish.

However, it is also true that there is not just one formula of lacquer in use today. Each manufacturer and supplier has their own variation, which mixes different proportions of the chemicals involved. There are literally thousands of different variations of lacquer in use today, making it impossible to test them all. As a result, while Hercules can say with some confidence that the testing shows the foam should be acceptable for these finishes, we cannot offer an absolute guarantee that it will not react with any given instrument. Therefore, you must refer to the instrument manufacturer's owner's manual for information regarding the proper storage for your instrument.

I hope this provides the information you require. Thanks again for your email, and for your interest in Hercules stands.[/quote']

Gives a bit of confirmation that they've testing their stands for nitro compatibility, although there's obviously no guarantee...

cheers

Archived