Guitar Stands

SilverLesterStd

Help! I'd like to buy my husband a guitar rack. For some reason

the guitars keep stacking up around here and we're running out

of room! I was looking at racks on musciansfriend.com and found

one that would work well for us but it said "Not for nitrocellulose-finish

guitars". I don't know what that means or if we have one. LOL

My hubby has a Les Paul Silverburst, my son has a VM Studio, we just

acquired a Fender Tele and we have a couple of accoustics to boot.

Can anyone tell me what a nitrocellulose-finish is? Any recommendations

on a rack that would work well with the guitars listed above? Thanks ya'll.

Although this is my mostly my husbands thing, I enjoy your posts too!

Wifey

Unfortunately, you can't put your gibsons on the stand. The rubber on the stand will eat away the nitro finish on your Gibsons. Gibson uses nitro lacquer finish rather than a poly finish on their guitars. You can protect the guitar on the stand by covering the rubber with a cotton cloth in the places where the guitar touches the rubber.

If you do some searches on this forum you will find some photos of Gibsons that were damaged when left too long on a stand. It's not pretty.

Help! I'd like to buy my husband a guitar rack. For some reason

the guitars keep stacking up around here and we're running out

of room! I was looking at racks on musciansfriend.com and found

one that would work well for us but it said "Not for nitrocellulose-finish

guitars". I don't know what that means or if we have one. LOL

My hubby has a Les Paul Silverburst' date=' my son has a VM Studio, we just

acquired a Fender Tele and we have a couple of accoustics to boot.

Can anyone tell me what a nitrocellulose-finish is? Any recommendations

on a rack that would work well with the guitars listed above? Thanks ya'll.

Although this is my mostly my husbands thing, I enjoy your posts too!

Wifey

[/quote']

Wow, Let me know if you get rid of silver! I'd marry a girl like you!!!! (Kiddin')

I've got a nitro finish on my SG, and that finish "might" have a chemical reaction with some kind of rubber and ruin the guitar.

It said it for my rack aswell but nothing happened in one year that is being there.

Anyway I don't think your Lester has a nitrocellulose finish...my standard doesn't.

Thanks Blue. Do you know if there any stands made specifically for nitro lacquer finished guitars?

Hi Silver,

yes, there are stands that are designed specifically for a nitro finish. One company in particular who makes outstanding guitar stands is Ultimate Support Guitar Stands. Unless I'm playing it, I have a USA LP Standard that I keep on there 100% of the time (unless it's particularly humid out and I put it away). There is not one mark, nor will there be - like I said, it's designed specifically to protect a nitro finish. Also, the stands are very sturdy - I have no worries of it being knocked over (then again I don't have kids or pets at home). While my stands are of the single guitar variety, I believe they make one which holds 3 guitars at once as well.

I can give you this advice in complete confidence - really. I think you'll be very happy.

Good luck!

Word of caution - I emailed Ultimate asking to confirm their stands were indeed 'nitro safe'. Their response was that they don't recommend leaving a nitro finished guitar on their stands for long periods of time - that the safest place is in the case. They might just be saying that to cover their @$$es... I guess the only real way to ensure the nitro stays safe is the cotton rag/towel idea posted above, or leave them in the case when storing for a long time.

I'm thinking too that newer guitars are more at risk, since the nitro needs some time to cure 100%... Maybe older nitro guitars aren't as prone? I was leaving my newly acquired '98 SG Standard on a Proline Fret Rest (got from GC - their bread and butter stands I guess - $15) for the last couple weeks without issue - but luckily stumbled upon these threads (I don't want to find out the hard way about the nitro melting or what not) - and sure enough - the MF and GC descriptions clearly say "not safe for nitrocellulose finished guitars". So I'll either be on the looked for a nitro safe stand - if there is such a thing, or wrap the foam contact points in cotton rags on my current el-cheapo stand.

Hercules is apparently another brand that claims their stands are nitro safe... Anyone try those??

cheers

MI,

Yeah, I have a Hercules one too come to think of it - but it's the type where you hang the guitar by the headstock. I've never had any problems w/it, but then again the neck isn't resting against anything. Also, I don't keep a guitar on it for long periods of time - just quick breaks.

As for the ultimate stands, I've never had a problem and I've never read about anyone having a problem - but you are right in saying it's good to be cautious and that the best place is in the case - I keep my R8 in the case for that very reason. Having said that, I like keeping the USA LP out on display because it's so pretty - when I'm not playing one of my guitars, I like looking at them.

Warwick makes a product called RockStands that are ok for your guitars:

Rockstands by Warwick

Good luck... and remember to delete this thread if you're trying to surprise your hubby O:)

+1 ... I own two of those and havent seen any change on my nitro guitars (2)... but I guess time will tell.

I would check out Hercules stands, they make some good stuff, and some are nitro friendly. And then there is ultimate stands... they are a little bit more expensive but are the best IMO.

I own the 3 guitar Rockstand. It says it is nitro safe on the box. It was not difficult to put together and is nice and stable. Holds my bass and Ibanez acoustic as well. I looked for quite some time for these stands, as virtually all of my existing were NOT nitro safe O:).

GL!

Rockstands are the way to go if you're getting a rack. I have my BFG and a Highway One Strat (nitro finished) on a five slot curved one and haven't seen anything negative happen to either one of them. I had an old Ibanez Studio that I refinished with lacquer and left it on a regular stand and it was neck and bottom of the body were ruined. That's how I learned about nitro- and lacquer safe stands. I miss that Studio...

I never even thought of the stands being a problem, I bought Pro-Lines (I believe) @ GC I have Dean ML and an Ibanez RG -would they be affected as well as my LP and SG? I bought the expensive wall hangers called "Off the Wall" anybody know anything about them?

It seems that the marketing people have decided it's best not to promise that a guitar is nitro safe, and leave it to us to let the rumors spread about which ones work for a nitro finished guitar. Hercules doesn't say so anymore, and I don't believe the Rockstands box does, either.

For what it's worth (in other words, here comes some actual factual information based on personal knowledge), my Highway One Strat, which has a nitrocellulose finish (at least the outer surface) began to stick to the black foam on a Rockstand. As a precaution I use a t-shirt or cloth between all stands and guitars for anything that's going to sit for awhile.

The oldest style of guitar stand with the yellow rubberized surgical tubing have long been known to eat into a lacquer finish. The rubber coated Y-hooks they sell to put your shovel on the wall of the garage will eat into a finish, even the tougher polyurethane finish (I had it happen to a clear acrylic finish).

So the best bet is to go with what people here have had good long term experience with, then hubby can decide if he's going to use a t-shirt over the pads of the stand. OH, there is a stand that looks like a guitar case but unfolds and has carpeted dividers for three or five guitars, that's probably safe too.

I'm sure he'll appreciate the effort. Would you speak to my wife, please?

I don't believe the Rockstands box does' date=' either.[/quote']

Says "Safe For All Finishes" right there on the box. Need a pic?

(in other words' date=' here comes some actual factual information based on personal knowledge)[/quote']

My Rockstand... the one I own, and have thereby gained personal experience from, works just fine. In fact, it was pointed out as the ONLY nitro safe stand in the store when purchased.

I would not have linked that otherwise, bud.

DON'T TAKE THE CHANCE!!!

I have the exact same Rockstands - 5 of 'em!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/RockStand-by-Warwick-5Guitar-Folding-Stand?sku=455001

Well, all but one of mine are the 7 guitar version.

The spacing is perfect for 4 guitars, so you don't bang 'em into each other.

I bought all mine at Guitar Center for less than the MFers site, they still stock them in Phoenix.

If you call the MFers, see if they have the 7 version in stock.

I got a can of flat black and repainted them before I assembled them, they look NICE.

I say don't take the chance because whatever they say doesn't mean sh!t when your finish is discolored.

The foam rubber is the exact same as the individual stands that discolored my Les Paul and 335.

Not bad, but by the time you notice it the damage is done.

DOH!!!

As Chan says, they may be okay, but if not you'll find out the hard way.

Take a look at these pics, you'll see what I did.

Mother in Law used a cotton bath towel, cut it to fit and sewed on Velcro to secure it to the stand.

Washable, and nothing is safer for your guitars.

1414853771_b23e1dc886.jpg?v=0

1415733114_a3842877aa.jpg?v=0

The final word on nitro cellulose lacquer;

It does not dry like "normal" paint (enamels) that cure and harden to a durable glassy smooth finish.

For simplicity, just think of nitro as never fully drying. It easily stains from whatever it comes in contact with.

It is a petroleum-based paint, and ALL foam rubber is made from petroleum.

They will ALWAYS react, the question is - how soon?

Do not take a chance.

I've had all kinds of stands in 20 years, tried more than I can count and gave them away.

Talked to Gibson about it, and several dealers and collectors I know.

Gave up on finding one I could trust as nitro safe, and instead went with what was functional, durable and convenient.

PM me if you need more info.

My Rockstand... the one I own' date=' and have thereby gained personal experience from, works just fine. In fact, it was pointed out as the ONLY nitro safe stand in the store when purchased.

I would not have linked that otherwise, bud.

[/quote']

Easy there. Read carefully. My point is that they changed their promises, not the product inside the box.The promise of being nitro safe is being removed from advertising and packaging, so yours might be an old box. My Rockstand triple-axe box did not say nitro safe on it, and after a few weeks the nitro on my Fender started sticking to it.

... Hercules stands' date=' they make some good stuff, and some are nitro friendly. And then there is ultimate stands... they are a little bit more expensive but are the best IMO.[/quote']

+1

... and, as I experienced so far, they work fine with Gibson nitro

+1 ... I own two of those and havent seen any change on my nitro guitars (2)... but I guess time will tell.

I would check out Hercules stands' date=' they make some good stuff, and some are nitro friendly. And then there is ultimate stands... they are a little bit more expensive but are the best IMO.[/quote']

yeah, the ultimate stands are the best - I'm serious. I wouldn't have written what I did unless I was sure of it. This is a pretty serious topic in so far that purchasing the wrong stand can ruin a beautiful finish on your guitar. If something was going to go wrong with my ultimate stands, they would have already. I've had them sitting on the ultimate stands for years - every single day (aside from humid days) - not one single problem.

the $30 is pretty cheap insurance.

Easy there. Read carefully. My point is that they changed their promises' date=' not the product inside the box.The promise of being nitro safe is being removed from advertising and packaging, so yours might be an old box. My Rockstand triple-axe box did not say nitro safe on it, and after a few weeks the nitro on my Fender started sticking to it.[/quote']

Let me help you out, Bob. See... when folks post on a Forum that something is true... then some one comes in and says "Let me give you some "actual factual" information", that is clearly implying the others were spreading NON-factual information. (i.e. you just called Thunder, Ellessar and I liars)

You also directly stated you doubted the box stated safe for all finishes. Again, implying that I am being less than truthful. Note, until I called you on it, you never mentioned anything about packaging changes. Let's face it... big difference between "I think the package has changed" and"I doubt it says that"... you're just trying to backtrack and cover that ***. Nice try though.

Ok...

08172008002.jpg

Notice that I have never said you weren't telling the truth. I believe you when you say your brand F guitar had stand related issues. Unlike you, though, I believe the opposite: I think RockStands have evolved to be nitro-safe, not regressed. In any event, I have corroborated my statements with evidence, and am backed up by others. I don't see anything backing you up... makes it appear as though you're talking out your ***.

Happy Saturday!!

Archived