Gibson Brands Forums

Opinion on a trade

Deacon Blue

Hi Guys, I want your opinion on this. I have a chance to trade my 74 Stratocaster for a fairly new Les Paul Special double cut.

The strat has been refinished so the value of the strat has gone down due to this. The strat plays nice but may need a refret job in the near future.

What do you guys think...keep the strat or go for the trade.

Thanks for your input!

The Les Paul DC Special with p-90s is a guitar I have been thinking about for some time. They can be had easy for around $700 to $800 around here. If you think that's about what your Strat is worth and you think you'll like the Les Paul better then it sounds like a done deal to me.

In your sig you mention a '73 Strat. Do you have both a '73 and a '74? If so then I suppose you wouldn't miss one of them.

If, on the other hand, there's a typo and you only have one of them then I'd keep the Strat. You already have a p-90 equipped LP so it's not as if you're adding a whole new bag of tones by getting the double-cut.

And, as has been said; they are still widely available for not an enormous amount of money. You'll always be able to pick one up relatively easily. The same cannot be said of early '70s Strats.

P.

Archived