Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson USA Anniversary Flood Les Paul Studio

Angellus

What are peoples thoughts about the Anniversary Flood les paul?

cant quite grasp wether I like it or not.

one things for sure i think it would look better with black binding (making it a standard I know)

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Gibson-USA-Anniversary-Flood-Les-Paul-Studio.aspx

I'm sure it has its appeal to some. I like the Midnight Manhattan Blue and I kinda like the swirl, but not so much together.

I think we're seeing too many "special" editions lately. After a while, they're not so special to me.

Just my opinion.

Dave

i bought one from an online retailer. the 3-way switch was broken, couldn't get both pickups to run at the same time. color was really dark, not like photos i've seen on the web. so don't rely on the psychedelic swirls in the photos...they are lit professionally. so i sent it back to the retailer and ordered a new one.

new one arrives: 3-way was also broken with the same issue! i called GibsonUSA and they said to take my 5-minute old guitar to the local repairs shop, on their dime. so now i wait for the repair shop to get around to fixing it. i figure 2 weeks. good news is the visibility of the color swirls on this one were improved. overall, it is a good looking rig.

but not a great track record for a brand that is supposed to epitomize the quality of the guitar business. and no apologies or strokes from the online retailer or Gibson. that was deflating.

i waited 15 years to buy a SP, had the money and felt it was a decent deal. now i feel meh about the brand in general and hope the guitar fix (and set up) will make this baby sing. despite the issues, i really do like this guitar. just too many issues out of the case. the run is limited tho, 300 per color. hopefully the other 298 guitars aren't broken.

thanks BigKahune, that makes me feel a bit better in a weird sort of way. all the chargebacks Gibson and the retailers get will make sure they get that fixed PDQ. what is frustrating is the electronics got a big thumbs up during quality assurance. i don't quite feel assured that the other hastily stroked check boxes were even actually QA'd .

as far as the finish guys, you either love it or hate it. same chatter at other sites. personally i think it's sharp. tho will agree somewhat on the bowling ball comments ;)

turns out it was not the switch after all, but a loose connection with the main board. got i set up while it was in the shop, the sound quality is way better than my current guitar (makes sense since it's a semi-hollow vs. a semi-solid [rolleyes]) now the only problem i see is some poor varnishing (rippling) where the neck meets the fretboard. it's noticeable but doesn't affect play. still, QA QA QA...i thought Gibson was the epitome of guitars. i'm seeing now that they only have a small advantage, if any.

Got the Blue one, Swapped the pickups out and put Chrome hardware on it....left the pickups uncovered(black). Plays great, sounds great and I have gotten alot of compliments on it's looks. The only thing I have to get used to is the weight since my other LPs are pre 2005. Looks very nice on the wall next to my 2004 LP Studio that's a cobalt blue color.

For those that have only seen pictures the blue is a much more subtle swirl in person and the burst is more apparent. Camera Flash desn't do it justice.

i've heard that the guitars are no longer limited to a run of 300 per color. this pisses me off, i tried to call Gibson today and was on hold for 30 mins before i gave up in disgust. my electronics problem, poor fretting, and rippling neck finish...and now this....Gibson is going to get an earful from me in the morning. discount indeed, i want some $$ back.

i've heard that the guitars are no longer limited to a run of 300 per color. this pisses me off, i tried to call Gibson today and was on hold for 30 mins before i gave up in disgust. my electronics problem, poor fretting, and rippling neck finish...and now this....Gibson is going to get an earful from me in the morning. discount indeed, i want some $$ back.

Shouldn't you have sent it back when you noticed the frets and finish were messed up before replacing the pickups so as not to void the warranty?

Got the Blue one, Swapped the pickups out and put Chrome hardware on it....left the pickups uncovered(black). Plays great, sounds great and I have gotten alot of compliments on it's looks. The only thing I have to get used to is the weight since my other LPs are pre 2005. Looks very nice on the wall next to my 2004 LP Studio that's a cobalt blue color.

For those that have only seen pictures the blue is a much more subtle swirl in person and the burst is more apparent. Camera Flash desn't do it justice.

agreed on the subtlety of the swirls, the photos we're seeing are professionally lit. it does look good in sunlight tho, and i'm sure on stage as well.

Archived