Gibson Brands Forums

Something different for me

Shnate McDuanus

Well, this is something that's a little out of my usual comfort zone: something that, I guess, could best be considered "Ambient music," by me, a guy who grew up on hard rock and heavy metal...

http://snd.sc/h4xUuV

It's definitely different from pretty much all of the stuff I've done, and in fact it's still a little too busy in places, I suppose, to really be truly part of the ambient genre, but it's really just me trying things out, playing with atmosphere and texture. I figured out how to get these neat little swells and bizarre harmonic effects using certain plug-ins in Audacity (where this was all done.)

Everything is done on the SG, recorded straight through my laptop's sound card and into Audacity, where it's edited and mixed. The song is called "If I Stop Now, I'll Probably Die."

Enjoy.

Hey man if I gave you my email address would you send me the file? I can't use soundcloud on my iPhone.

I could send you some stuff I've recorded on my iPhone although it's not great (playing and quality) and I can only send out 2 minute clips.

Hey man if I gave you my email address would you send me the file? I can't use soundcloud on my iPhone.

I could send you some stuff I've recorded on my iPhone although it's not great (playing and quality) and I can only send out 2 minute clips.

Sure, I'd be down.

Just shoot me a PM with the address and I'll send it to you.

Thanks Matt! And sure, I'll try and keep it alive as long as I can. [biggrin]

In fact, I've got another piece that I just worked on, and unlike the first one...I have no misgivings about it whatsoever!

I'm definitely going to upload this second one and post it--if I say so myself, it's far and away superior to the first. Everything just seemed to come together perfectly on this one...

It'll be up in a moment.

EDIT: Here it is: http://snd.sc/f8AWn1

Thanks Matt! And sure, I'll try and keep it alive as long as I can. [biggrin]

In fact, I've got another piece that I just worked on, and unlike the first one...I have no misgivings about it whatsoever!

I'm definitely going to upload this second one and post it--if I say so myself, it's far and away superior to the first. Everything just seemed to come together perfectly on this one...

It'll be up in a moment.

EDIT: Here it is: http://snd.sc/f8AWn1

There are loads of people in the world playing rock and metal, but not loads doing this kind of music; maybe it is a niche area that you can follow? I think you have a talent for it...

I used to (well still do) love a band called Portishead. They mixed ambient, dance and jazz to create something new.

Matt

Not that anyone really cares, but I have a new one.

It's more of an exploration of sonic textures than it is an actual song, although there are some melodic elements in it.

...Gee, I guess if I want people to hear my music I'd be better off covering "Purple Haze." :-k :(

EDIT: Forgot to post it. Here it is. It's not exactly finished, though:

http://snd.sc/f6ve8Q

I downloaded the SC android app, and listened to all pieces... Jon, BUT I HATE AMBIENT!!! [flapper] Just kidding!

Actually, I dig that you have an ear for melodic textures. The guitar layers sound good together and make for an actually positive listenable experience. I'm impressed. I didn't expect what I heard. You maybe be on to something here... Great job!

I downloaded the SC android app, and listened to all pieces... Jon, BUT I HATE AMBIENT!!! [flapper] Just kidding!

Actually, I dig that you have an ear for melodic textures. The guitar layers sound good together and make for an actually positive listenable experience. I'm impressed. I didn't expect what I heard. You maybe be on to something here... Great job!

Thanks dude!

Also, I couldn't resist (again!):

ambientrage.png

I think that's enough reason to quit your job

Pffft, yeah--who needs money when you can listen to independent ambient music made by a lousy guitarist who produces ambient because he can't really play anything else? [biggrin]

Seriously though, Shred, I look forward to your input. None of these tracks are in any way finished--in fact, since I've posted them, I've made at least one change to each one after they have been posted. Still, any input is extremely valuable to me. [thumbup]

Don't quit your job, though...

XD, i'm looking forward to checking them out. And no, i won't be quitting my job. You know who wouldn't like it if i did that?

My wife, my wallet, my mortgage, my car, my guitar gear etc etc. You get the point. Working for money is good.

Reminds me of Frippetronics... Great ambient stuff!!

Hey, thanks! I remember that it took me two times to really "get" (No P ussyfooting.) The first time I heard it I was very confused about it. The second time around, though, I really learned to appreciate it. This was before I really got into ambient music.

XD, i'm looking forward to checking them out. And no, i won't be quitting my job. You know who wouldn't like it if i did that?

My wife, my wallet, my mortgage, my car, my guitar gear etc etc. You get the point. Working for money is good.

Aw Shred, you know I was just playing. But yeah, whenever you get a chance is fine--I appreciate that you've agreed to listen to them. [smile]

Whoa! Thats was sic XD. I didn't know you were a shoegazer

Thanks dude! Yeah, given the circumstances I prefer the term "screengazer," having done this all on the computer, but the idea's basically the same.

Thanks dude! Yeah, given the circumstances I prefer the term "screengazer," having done this all on the computer, but the idea's basically the same.

You could use some pedals man.

On topic, I thought your tracks were great, I really enjoyed all of them.

Listening now dude.....cool stuff. Very moody sounding....the atmospheric parts remind me of Death Cube K and thats a good thing!! I like the clean guitar parts you have on those tracks too...gives them a really nice flow and allows you to space out to the tunes.

Onto the next one!

Archived