Gibson Brands Forums

Check out this old interview with Rick Nielsen...

Twiz

"They only made 17 of these in 1958. And I own two of them................."

Also who wouldn't like to get into their trusty old time-machine and buy a '59 'burst for about $7,000? [woot]

Good clip, thanks for posting!

P.

"They only made 17 of these in 1958. And I own two of them................."

Also who wouldn't like to get into their trusty old time-machine and buy a '59 'burst for about $7,000? [woot]

Good clip, thanks for posting!

P.

He is a major collector/trader of guitars. He has over 2200 in his collection.

Gary Richrath used to buy 59s and 58s for $50.

"In the February 1982 issue of Guitar Player magazine, Richrath was interviewed about his guitar collection and here's what he said, 'When I was 15 or 16, I used to go into pawn shops and buy Sunbursts for $50, and now they're costing thousands. I cut my teeth on Les Pauls, and I'll never change.'"

Sach from the Bowery Boys, he may have played Soapy too. Maybe just Rick Nielsen's Grandpappy?

I was mistaken, he was "Dippy" in Dead End and Crab in "Angels with Dirty Faces". "Dead End" and "Angels" are two of the best movies ever made, only seen a few of the Bowery Boys films. Same group of kids for the most part.

He definitely has to be a relative, or he never ages, like a Twilight Zone episode.

I highly recommend Cheap Tricks first two albums. Their first is one of my all time favorites. The same campy lyrics, but with raw sloppy guitars and killer bass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6M5mS1AAu4

That's funny because that is the song our bass player picked out for us to learn for next rehearsal [thumbup] I'm kinda partial to Big Eyes and The House is Rockin' [tongue]

Great thread...........................

I noticed Rick had a bit of the 1980s sniffles....rubbing that nose a bit, grinding the teeth !!!!!!!!!! Hmmmm.........:unsure: [crying][scared] .....

Nielsen was trying to build a music venue/bar/resort type thing in his home town of Rockford, Illinois. He was just about to break ground when the market crashed and the money dried up. His credit was good and the business model was sound, it's just that the cash was no longer available. So, the project has been on hold for a couple years. At the time this project was about to take off, a Rockford TV news station did a piece where Nielsen took the reporter to his storage facility and all you could see was guitars and amps for days. He pulled out one guitar case that had the name of a once famous, but now defunct, rock group. I don't remember the name of the group. He said he bought up equipment from groups as they disbanded.

His plan for the venue was to have a guitar museum where he would display some of his collection and rotate the inventory periodically.

No word on when the project might take off again. When I hear of any news on Rick's new project I'll update you guys.

Nielsen seems to be quite the philanthropist. Rockford has several, old, down-town theaters, most derelict and vacant. One, The Coronado, was refurbished and resurrected to it's former glory a number of years ago. I have been to several concerts there. It is gorgeous. It has an Egyptian motif with a night time blue ceiling with twinkling stars. The seats are all upholstered in blood red. There is one seat, however, about 3 rows from the back of the top mezzanine. It is upholstered in black and white checked fabric. I have never heard that Nielsen was a major benefactor of this theater, but I suspect he is. Maybe he sneaks into the venue once in a while from the projection booth.

Archived