Gibson Brands Forums

a general consensus...

bjones1972

I have an LP that was manufactured with no pickguard. How many of you have added a pickguard to your LP that was made without one and are you satisfied with the results?

Just my Gibson

Its ok the bridge pickup is very slightly lower than the pickguard but its not a major issue.

I WILL SAY THO BUY ONE FOR THAT BRAND, as they all vary ever so slightly...

If you weren't partial to that particular guitar, i know people would buy it just for the fact that it has no screw holes in the body. Thats something some people look for. Then you could buy one that comes with a pickgaurd with the sale money.

I have an LP that was manufactured with no pickguard. How many of you have added a pickguard to your LP that was made without one and are you satisfied with the results?

I remove them on all but flat-tops, with an arch-top or a plus-top there is so much height clearance I find them totally unnecessary.

Well i honestly cant imagine anyone actally hitting the body with a plectrum. However, some people like to rest a finger on the pickguard when they are playing and would be lost without it.

I reckon the general consensus will be that it is entirely down to what you feel will give the guitar the best appearance.

I would suggest that if you want the pickguard on, that you buy one of the screwless ones so you don't have to drill pilot holes for screws in your beloved axe.

evil bay link

I would suggest that if you want the pickguard on, that you buy one of the screwless ones so you don't have to drill pilot holes for screws in your beloved axe.

evil bay link

When I bought my LP a few years ago, it was the same way. Pickguard included, but not installed. I wasn't too keen on drilling holes either. I bought one of these screwless pickguards from the same guy through a link on the My Les Paul forum. Installs in minutes, no drilling (uses the pickup screws) and it's Gibby quality work as well. He's a bit swamped right now because of various issues, but he's a great guy and does great work. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

Here's a pic of mine

DSC00047.jpg

I took a pickguard off a 1950s archtop that I still have...

...and that I've regretted taking off the pickguard ever since.

Rastus... it's not so much that you're going to slam the pick on the top, LP or archtop, but rather that if you don't bang away at the guitar, it gives a good reference point on which to park your pinkie (small) finger while using the plectrum or fingerpicking between the neck joint and the bridge for some interesting tonal difference...

That's most it, IMHO. I fact, I hadn't played a flattop in ages and ages, nor that old archtop, until five or six months ago and I find them more difficult to play without that reference point. Granted, I have a very light hand, very seldom use a pick. (As in I think I've used one on occasion over the past dozen years or so, but don't ask which year.)

m

Rastus... it's not so much that you're going to slam the pick on the top, LP or archtop, but rather that if you don't bang away at the guitar, it gives a good reference point on which to park your pinkie (small) finger while using the plectrum or fingerpicking between the neck joint and the bridge for some interesting tonal difference...

I'm with you on that. I was thinking of removing the pickguard myself, but then recognized I regularly rested my pinky on it.

Zep...

Yeah, playing style will help determine what one prefers in a guitar. Personally I don't care for the LP at all. On an SG type - the only solid body I really care for - I tend also to use the bridge pickup as a bit of an anchor. But the weakness to that comes when I'm fingerpicking fat chords and want a broader sound as from over the neck pickup, and it it's more of a psychological "reach" than on my archtops that do have pick guards.

m

Archived