Gibson Brands Forums

Sir Paul!!

onewilyfool

Well, I've never thought of Paul as my least favorite Beatle, but it surprises me that I can't think of anything he's put out after the Beatles that I really liked in a big way. John & George - yes, Paul - no.

He's actually quite a good whistler. Loud, clear, and on pitch. I guess now we know who did the whistling on Beatles and post-Beatles recordings.

I was in high school when "Ram" came out, and was quite taken by most of it. I haven't listened to it for decades, dunno how it has aged for me. There are some good tracks on the seminal "McCartney" as well as I recall.

None of the Beatles as solo artists came up to the sum of the parts, for me, but I'm not going out on a limb there, I suppose. I gravitate towards George, who was the go-to guitarist in the Beatles, and his songs speak to me somehow.

Brian

He's actually quite a good whistler. Loud, clear, and on pitch. I guess now we know who did the whistling on Beatles and post-Beatles recordings.

I was in high school when "Ram" cam out, and was quite taken by most of it. I haven't listened to it for decades, dunno how it has aged for me. There are some good tracks on the seminal "McCartney" as well as I recall.

None of the Beatles as solo artists came up to the sum of the parts, for me, but I'm not going out on a limb there, I suppose. I gravitate towards George, who was the go-to guitarist in the Beatles, and his songs speak to me somehow.

Brian

Lennon does the careless whistling in the outro of the somewhat gloomy Two of Us (I was always a bit provoked by that contrast).

Remind me please, where else do we have whistling in the B-catalogue? When looking at it, I could see 2 maybe 3 fantabulous 70tiesBeatles albums, if the guys had wanted it.

But you can't put paint back in the tube, can you. . . .

Try a Ram rerun. It's still fine on a clear spring day.

I gravitate towards George, who was the go-to guitarist in the Beatles, and his songs speak to me somehow.

Brian

George had incredible phrasing. His later slide work was particularly good.

Paul was/is a very good electric guitarist, too, with a less melodic, more blistering style than George. He played lead on George's Taxman, and his own Back In The USSR, Helter Skelter, Sgt. Pepper, and Drive My Car. He and George also played the unison riff in And Your Bird Can Sing, and they both took turns with John on the solos on The End. That's also Paul on Good Morning, Paperback Writer, Ticket To Ride, and Another Girl.

Conversely, George (and John) sometimes played bass if Paul was playing guitar as they laid down basic tracks! It's amazing how much each Beatle grew as musicians during their (relatively) brief recording career together, and how much George (especially) matured as a songwriter. His late Beatle-career songs, while few (like Something and While My Guitar Gently Weeps), are easily the match of Lennon and McCartney's best.

Red 333

Red 333,

I guess I relate to their early live performances, like on the Ed Sullivan Show, where Paul played bass, John and George played guitar, but George seemed to be doing the heavy lifting, while Paul and John sang the most prominent vocals. I agree, Paul was a great guitar player in his own right, and John did his share.

George, who was nearly three full years younger than John, was invited to play with the Quarry Men at age 15 owing to his prodigal talent on guitar.

Brian

In my eyes the difference is that Paul really did control the electric and could be considered the most robust and potent guitarist of the band. George, more fragile and sensitive, might have been the finest 6-string poet, but never really managed to make the guitar bite.

As for Lennon, he was always unpredictable strong/unstable (and no big bass-player) – one day delivering f.x. the splendid solo for Get Back, the next goofing round, forgetting lyrics and falling off bike. . .

I wouldn't pick one above the other - the whole magic is the foursome – but the power and overview from McCartney kept a lot of things together.

Oouuhh, , , let's not forget Here Comes The Sun, one of the best songs ever written ~

How about George's "Old Brown Shoe", i always loved the line, "when i grow up, i want to be a singer, wearing rings on every finger" George had some great tunes. But Paul kept it all together. Especially from St. Pepper on to Abbey Road. Beatles would have fallen apart shortly after St. Pepper if not for Paul.

Archived