Gibson Brands Forums

Oiled Neck

Norseman

I asked this before for a couple of years ago in the Les Paul forum but I never really got it resolved.

Does anyone know what kind of oil I can use to oil the neck of my guitar? (I'm thinking like the Zakk Wylde signature neck.)

I use Fret Dr. on my fretboard, but despite having and playing my Gibson Les Paul Classic 1960 Reissue for 3 years now, the back of the neck is STILL not as fast as other guitars of lesser value I have and have owned. If I use the Gibson polish to clean it up right before a gig, it's usually fine for the first set, but I guess it just doesn't like my sweaty hands. I'm thinking that if I strip some of the finish on the back using 0000 steel wool and then oil it like Zakk does, this might be exactly what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions?

Guest FarnsBarns

I asked this before for a couple of years ago in the Les Paul forum but I never really got it resolved.

Does anyone know what kind of oil I can use to oil the neck of my guitar? (I'm thinking like the Zakk Wylde signature neck.)

I use Fret Dr. on my fretboard, but despite having and playing my Gibson Les Paul Classic 1960 Reissue for 3 years now, the back of the neck is STILL not as fast as other guitars of lesser value I have and have owned. If I use the Gibson polish to clean it up right before a gig, it's usually fine for the first set, but I guess it just doesn't like my sweaty hands. I'm thinking that if I strip some of the finish on the back using 0000 steel wool and then oil it like Zakk does, this might be exactly what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions?

You'll need to strip all of the finish off the neck if you want to do that.

Have you tried "Finger Ease" spray?

I would use that before stripping/oiling a neck.

Frankly I am surprised you have a sticky neck on a gibby especially when you gig. Could it be your chemistry?

My Gibsons have started with a sticky neck but they get much better after a few months of playing.

edit; link http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fingerease-Guitar-String-Lubricant?sku=420450

A friend of mine uses this spray religiously, every time somebody in the audience requests Backbird, he knows it is time to spray on.

Have you tried "Finger Ease" spray?

I would use that before stripping/oiling a neck.

Frankly I am surprised you have a sticky neck on a gibby especially when you gig. Could it be your chemistry?

My Gibsons have started with a sticky neck but they get much better after a few months of playing.

edit; link http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fingerease-Guitar-String-Lubricant?sku=420450

A friend of mine uses this spray religiously, every time somebody in the audience requests Backbird, he knows it is time to spray on.

Ok let me give this a try before I go stripping the finish. Thanks for the suggestion!

My LP neck did go through that ultra-sticky phase at about 3 months in and then got somewhat better, but it's still not as smooth as other cheaper (not cheap - just cheaper) guitars in my herd.

Let's see how this works for me! Thanks again!

Think twice before you strip your neck. Make damn sure that you have no intention of ever selling it, as this will decrease the value. Many times players struggle with guitars only to eventually find that its not really what they wanted in the first place.

How long have you been playing it? Mine stopped sticking long ago, but I recall being annoyed with it at first. Maybe you just need to keep playing it?

Keep in mind too, that the finish is also meant to protect the neck, so stripping is going to expose it to more environmental factors. Isn't ZW's git a maple neck Custom? Your never going to get a mahogany neck to feel like maple.

Stay away from oil!

Just my perspective: ( more than you ever wanted to know)

Nitrocellulose lacquer is very porous if you magnify it. That is the quality that makes it good for musical instruments as it allows the wood to continue to dry and breathe over time. Also over time as it dries the pours will expand as the lacquer shrinks. So I think you are running into two issues both involving oil and they are not helping.

Issue 1 is that the pores in the finish of the neck are collecting oil. Oil then collects dirt and grime and you end up with a sticky neck. So my advice is stay away from oils on a finished neck. Oils are for unfinished wood to prevent drying. Some necks are oil finished but they are using the oil as a finish. Again just to seal the wood from moisture and make the neck kind of satiny.

Issue 2 is most likely your hands palm/thumb are oily either naturally or from using soaps with moisturizers ( most likely both). So every time you play your hands warm up and release more oil and the neck warms up and releases oil/grime and the result is a sticky gummy feeling neck. Rub your fingers together with a little pressure. Do they slide across each other or do they tend to want to stick a little? The dryer they are the harder it is to snap.

My advice:

1. You want to remove as much oil from your fingers and the (back of the) neck as possible. I would start by doing a quick wipe down with some rubbing alcohol ( NOT ACETONE!) Rubbing alcohol will clean the oil out of the pores of the lacquer and evaporates quickly.

2. Now you want to seal the pores with something that rejects oils and waters ( in other words a good guitar polish) I would recommend the Virtuoso brand of cleaner and polish that is formulated for nitro. This will fill in all the pours with a wax and prevent oil/grease/dirt build up and make the back of the neck smooth as glass.

3. After you do this you will probably run your thumb along the back of the neck and be like "What the hell?" Now my thumb sticks even worst. That is because a glossy shiny surface has more surface area which causes more friction and sticking. ( Try running your finger over some glass and then try some wood) Your finger will stick more to the glass... This is also why satin finish and "oiled" necks are generally less sticky and faster because they don't have as much continuous surface area.

4. To fix problem three wash your hands with some dish soap and very warm water and let them completely dry. Your fingers should now slide across each other since you have removed the oil from the ridges and now you have less surface area to stick.

5. Now play. I bet it will be the best it has ever been....

I asked Ed Boyle, owner of Fret Doctor. Here is his response:

The sticky neck can come from a variety of sources. Linseed oil and other non-drying oils can remain sticky for a long time. Could just be dirt from the musician's hands, like pizza, etc. I recommend cleaning it with Naphtha or, if you can find it, Formby's Buildup Remover. True Value often carries it and you can get it on Amazon.

After that, he can use Fret Doctor to replenish the wood surface.

Guest FarnsBarns

I asked Ed Boyle, owner of Fret Doctor. Here is his response:

The sticky neck can come from a variety of sources. Linseed oil and other non-drying oils can remain sticky for a long time. Could just be dirt from the musician's hands, like pizza, etc. I recommend cleaning it with Naphtha or, if you can find it, Formby's Buildup Remover. True Value often carries it and you can get it on Amazon.

After that, he can use Fret Doctor to replenish the wood surface.

The way that reads, my guess would be that Ed didn't realise that the guitar in question has a finished neck.

The way that reads, my guess would be that Ed didn't realise that the guitar in question has a finished neck.

I would also avoid Naptha on Nitro since your results may vary. I have seen it work well and I have seen it work too well if you know what I mean...

Andy

Archived