Gibson Brands Forums

Someone (Younger?), Please Explain This, to Me....

charlie brown

OK, I'm OLD...I fully admit it! BUT, I watch a lot of documentaries, on old and

newer bands. Both, out of nostalgia, and to find out what's (more) currently all

the rage, and (possibly) why? But, "The Pixies," I just don't get, I guess?

There was a statement made, claiming they were one of 5 top/most "influential" bands,

in the late 80's/early 90's. REALLY??? How so? Not trying to bash them, or

anyone that likes them...I just don't see it, apparently. So, please, explain

it to me.

CB

Well, I don't qualify as that someone younger you're looking for CB (or at best, not much), but if you're looking for folks the Pixies influenced, there is that whole Nirvana thing. It's been said that in the late 80s/early 90s the Pixies were much along the lines of what Brian Eno said of the Velvet Underground, that only 10,000 people bought their first record, but every one of them went out and started a band.

Subjective, indeed. Yet, according to a documentary, on their

"Reunion" tour...it sold out, across the board (USA and England),

"in minutes!" So, there must be "something," to them...that I

just don't see, or "get?" So, I'm just curious...you know?

I'm not sure, of their "target audience," either. Is it 12 year

olds, or college age? There seemed to be a lot of both, and even

some "30 something's," in their audiences. Of course, those might

be folks, that were 12, in the late 80's/early '90's, etc. So...???

CB

Well, I don't qualify as that someone younger you're looking for CB (or at best, not much), but if you're looking for folks the Pixies influenced, there is that whole Nirvana thing. It's been said that in the late 80s/early 90s the Pixies were much along the lines of what Brian Eno said of the Velvet Underground, that only 10,000 people bought their first record, but every one of them went out and started a band.

LOL...yeah, I suppose that could be it. They certainly don't project awesome musicianship, so maybe

those kids decided: "Hell, if THEY can "Make it," we sure as Hell could?!" (Smile)

I knew that Kurt Cobain said (in Rolling Stone), they Nirvana were just "trying to Rip off the Pixies!"

Or some such, statement. Maybe that's the crux of it...they influenced Nirvana, and Nirvana influenced,

a lot of other bands, so the "Pixies" are placed in that way, because of it? Who knows...???

CB

Subjective, indeed. Yet, according to a documentary, on their

"Reunion" tour...it sold out, across the board (USA and England),

"in minutes!" So, there must be "something," to them...that I

just don't see, or "get?" So, I'm just curious...you know?

I'm not sure, of their "target audience," either. Is it 12 year

olds, or college age? There seemed to be a lot of both, and even

some "30 something's," in their audiences. Of course, those might

be folks, that were 12, in the late 80's/early '90's, etc. So...???

CB

They were definitely more popular in England than in the U.S. the first go round, though I think here most of their audience was--for lack of a better term--the college radio crowd. I saw one of their Doolittle 20th anniversary shows a couple of years ago, and there were some folks standing near me with whom I reminisced about seeing the Clash in the same venue many years ago.

And guilty as charged about cilantro, Riverside.

The Pixies were great, and I agree that they were one of the the bands that helped to take Rock in a new direction. I think the comparison to the Velvet Underground is a good one: Back in the 60's the VU was on the cutting edge of Rock, while the mainstream was dominated by the Beatles, Stones, etc. In the 80's and early 90's the Pixies were also very avant-garde.

IMO allmusic.com usually gives pretty good write-ups. Here are the first 2 paragraphs of the article about the Pixies:

"Combining jagged, roaring guitars and stop-start dynamics with melodic pop hooks, intertwining male-female harmonies and evocative, cryptic lyrics, the Pixies were one of the most influential American alternative rock bands of the late '80s. The Pixies weren't accomplished musicians -- Black Francis wailed and bashed out chords while Joey Santiago's lead guitar squealed out spirals of noise. But the bandmembers were inventive, rabid rock fans who turned conventions inside out, melding punk and indie guitar rock, classic pop, surf rock, and stadium-sized riffs with singer/guitarist Black Francis' bizarre, fragmented lyrics about space, religion, sex, mutilation, and pop culture; while the meaning of his lyrics may have been impenetrable, the music was direct and forceful.

The Pixies' busy, brief songs, extreme dynamics, and subversion of pop song structures proved one of the touchstones of '90s alternative rock. From grunge to Brit-pop, the Pixies' shadow loomed large -- it's hard to imagine Nirvana without the Pixies' signature stop-start dynamics and lurching, noisy guitar solos. While the Pixies were touted as the band to bring indie rock into the mainstream, they simply laid the groundwork for the alternative explosion of the early '90s. MTV was reluctant to play their videos, while even modern rock radio didn't put their singles into regular rotation. Furthermore, tensions between leader Black Francis and bassist/vocalist Kim Deal, who wanted to incorporate her songs into the band's repertoire, crippled the band's progress. By the time Nirvana broke the doors down for alternative rock in 1992, the Pixies were effectively broken up."

So, were The Pixies, to "Grunge" and/or "Alternative," what the Sex Pistols,

were, to "Punk?" (Remember, I was out of the Rock scene, for over 30+ years)

Didn't even listen to much "radio," back then. It's only in the last 10 years,

I've gotten "re-energized," and re-acquainted, really, with "Rock." So, pardon

my lack of "cool" or knowledge, in these areas. Anything much after "The Pretenders,"

I'm "lost" about. My favorite band, in the 90's was "The Wallflowers"...which I still

like!

So...??? I appreciate all the input, insight, etc.

CB

I think its saying a little too much of the band. They did apparently influence a crap load of bands throughout the 80/90s alt scene.

-Nirvana

-David Bowie

-U2

-Radiohead

-The Strokes

-Pavement

As previously mentioned Cobain mentioned that they were a huge influence on him, and the song "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was admittedly a conscious attempt to co-opt the pixies style. Cobain also stated that Surfer Rosa was one of his main musical influences. Sound like another one of those bands that everyone liked but they never went anywhere, kinda like a little Canadian band called Anvil.

Edit: You hit it on the nose pretty much I am guessing The Pixies were a large influence on the alternative scene and definitely on the grunge scene since Nirvana was the king of grunge, by influencing Nirvana they indirectly influenced the whole genre as I think almost everything grunge was measured against Nirvana or Pearl Jam.

I'm a big fan. What do you wanna know?

They've been a huge influence to me at least.

Do you want me to post some choice songs or something?

Whatever you want to contribute, Dub... ;>)

And..."how" were they influential, to you, specifically...if you don't mind

elaborating.

CB

Well (smile), in all honesty, I had never heard of them, either...except

from Cobain's referernce, and because they were featured as "Fender

artists," in one of the past "Fender Frontline" guitar catalogs. ;>b

CB

Well I will jump on this bandwagon, I had never heard of the band directly, nor even bothered to check out there music, I feel ashamed and dirty I think I need a shower!

Well if you're wondering why they were so influential it's simple. It's because they were the original and they were incredible.

This is there most popular song

"Where Is My Mind"

this song has some kind of intense euphoric feeling that makes me feel all tingley. YMMV.

I love the way they use heavily distorted guitar in such a beautiful way. I love the way there songs go from aggressive and heavy to mellow and euphoric in an instant. I'll post more songs but if you were to only hear one song by them to sum them up, this would be it.

The Happening (my favorite part is towards the end)

Hey (this is baby makin music)

The Pixies are a band where I pretty much only listen to them in full albums. I don't just pick a song and listen to one. My favorite albums are Bossanova, Doolittle, and Surfer Rosa.

I can post a lot more stuff if anyone is interested. They have been one of my absolute favorite bands for a long time.

You have to remember just how bad the late 80s were in terms of guitar-based rock. All poodle perms and sleaze. I spent most of 1988 listening to original 1950s rock 'n' roll and classic blues. 1989 and 1990 I spent listening to my dad's Hendrix, Who and Stones records because most of the best stuff in the charts constituted a pale imitation of mid-sixties experimentation. The originals were better. In 1991 I discovered the Doors and the Velvet Underground and in the process nearly missed out on Nirvana. But then the Doors and the Velvets are better than Nirvana, so I didn't exactly misspend my youth at that point. Guns 'n' Roses livened things up a bit at the time, but mainly when Slash remembered that his Les Paul had a front pickup and messed around with it instead of just producing mediocre thrashy stuff. So essentially, even if the Velvets and Doors really are better, bands like Nirvana, the Smashing Pumpkins and the Pixies gave music a kick in the right direction at a very dull time. And the Pixies got there before Nirvana and the Pumpkins, so they probably deserve the 'influential' tag. I remember wanting Joey Santiago's Les Paul goldtop at one point.

I still like this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nM-Xx4faZI&feature=related

OK, I'm OLD...I fully admit it! BUT, I watch a lot of documentaries, on old and

newer bands. Both, out of nostalgia, and to find out what's (more) currently all

the rage, and (possibly) why? But, "The Pixies," I just don't get, I guess?

There was a statement made, claiming they were one of 5 top/most "influential" bands,

in the late 80's/early 90's. REALLY??? How so? Not trying to bash them, or

anyone that likes them...I just don't see it, apparently. So, please, explain

it to me.

CB

As the old saying goes, "there's no accounting for taste."

Archived