Gibson Brands Forums

It was one year ago today.

Searcy

One years ago today I was stading in my back yard watching as my house sank into the flood waters.

Mother nature is a force we as humans cannot control. Hopefully your insurance helped you get your home back up to par and none of your prized possessions were destroyed.

Great video Searcy truly shows the Nashville Spirit.

We were lucky, after that day I have not *****ed about living on a hill every time I mow the grass.

Somber anniversary of the flood with all the rain we are having.

Very poignant video... and great story!

Reaffirms what I've been saying all along... want to see how to respond to a natural disaster?? Look no further than Nashville, TN.

Glad you folks have recovered, sir! Hope the rain we are currently having eases up soon ( I heard a rumor of sunshine tomorrow)

The most telling memory I have about the flood last year was watching the local news and hearing residents from middle Tennessee calling in and, live on the air, giving their name and phone number and address and offering a place to stay for total strangers who were displaced by the flood. With no thought for their own safety, older people, single women, and families were opening their doors to strangers.

I remember the Red Cross, when they got here, was amazed at how the locals had already set up shelters, and was taking care of their own. It was a bad time for a lot of people, but it made me very proud to be a part of a community like this.

Here is a video I shot about 10 days ago showing where we are today.

We still have a lot of work to do. It's slow going at this point because we are doing all the work ourselves to make the money go farther. Only in the last few weeks have we started moving stuff into the house and going through all the stuff we have in storage. Last night my wife Alica got out a trash bag of DVDs that have been sitting for a year now and they were still wet and covered in mold. The cases fell apart but most of the disks are OK.

We didn't have flood insurance because we are not in a flood plane so there was no insurance money. We did get a little from FEMA and friends family and charities donated $15,000 to help us rebuild. By doing all the work by ourselves or with volunteers we have managed to make it go a long way.

None of my guitars got trashed because they were all on wall hangers and the water didn't get high enough to hit them.My Yamaha mixer and a few amps and pedals did drown though.

Bad deal for those who lived through all that.

My sympathies, really.

It's too bad that a big company used the fact to justify bad business practices and then a "tribute" to put a few dollars into their own pocket.

Horrible, just horrible.

As is the case with most big companies, Gibson has been quite generous in giving to flood victims. Home Depot and FedEx donated a combined total of almost $5000 to our rebuild alone.

While I wouldn't have chosen to go through this if I didn't have too. It's been far more good than bad.

As is the case with most big companies, Gibson has been quite generous in giving to flood victims. Home Depot and FedEx donated a combined total of almost $5000 to our rebuild alone.

Hooray for FedEx and Home Depot. That's at least as much as they spend on, well, never mind.

What has Gibson done?

It might be a lot, but I haven't heard about it here.

Well the day after the worst of the flooding they donated a quarter million dollars to help working musicians replace lost instruments. They had their endorsers do PSAs asking for donations and they set up collection sighted all over.

Well the day after the worst of the flooding they donated a quarter million dollars to help working musicians replace lost instruments. They had their endorsers do PSAs asking for donations and they set up collection sighted all over.

I'm sure that was a big deal for the folks who were under water. Good on them for being there.

Anyway... ignoring the troll in the room... [rolleyes]

Most folks around my house are either rebuilt or nearly rebuilt. Most of those who aren't rebuilt yet have some sort of plan for doing so or have moved to higher ground.

Now that we are unpacking Alicia and I have a lot of those big Rubber Made boxes and a lot of cleaning supplies and some tools we will never need again. we are going to drop those off this week end at a donation center for those in south Tennessee that were hit by tornadoes last week.

Very good video shows just what happens when nature goes awry. Luckily I've never been there but it's been close I've done the sandbags and putting guitars in the attic twice in Arizona, and once in Coloroado I was very happy to have a 18 inch crawl space under my home when about 16 inches of water came down from a heavy rain on snow pack. That's a sick feeling just watching the water rise knowing there is nothing you can do.

Glad your doing well and looks like your well on the road to recovery.

the posters Stiffhand posted are amazing I have the one of the girl standing at a microphone in the water. Hatch prints in Nashville is probably the best letterpress poster shop still operating, there collection of wood and metal type and the posters they print are truly amazing

I find the Gibson recovery also quite exemplary.

Even HenryJ reluctantly stated he had guitars damaged/ruined in his home. That tells me his home wasn't all that nice after the flood, and whether he has more cash than many of us is irrelevant, one's home is one's home.

Honestly, I'd like to know how he personally fared and especially how his damaged guitars were handled. The guy takes more static on the Gibbie forums than I think is at all deserved and regardless, he's a picker too.

Then to get a factory back up and running while so many employees from HenryJ to the janitors had probably been personally affected by the flooding is something else.

I think if you've not personally been affected by fire or flood, it's hard to explain the feelings that are natural. It's not even insurance or one's personal financial position that tend to count most, it's the loss of "stuff" you have personal emotional investment in.

Searcy, your own biz back up?

m

I find the Gibson recovery also quite exemplary.

Even HenryJ reluctantly stated he had guitars damaged/ruined in his home. That tells me his home wasn't all that nice after the flood, and whether he has more cash than many of us is irrelevant, one's home is one's home.

Honestly, I'd like to know how he personally fared and especially how his damaged guitars were handled. The guy takes more static on the Gibbie forums than I think is at all deserved and regardless, he's a picker too.

Then to get a factory back up and running while so many employees from HenryJ to the janitors had probably been personally affected by the flooding is something else.

I think if you've not personally been affected by fire or flood, it's hard to explain the feelings that are natural. It's not even insurance or one's personal financial position that tend to count most, it's the loss of "stuff" you have personal emotional investment in.

Searcy, your own biz back up?

m

From what I understand only his basement was flooded which is where he stored his guitars. But to me that's bad enough... It was really just luck of the draw as to who got flooded and who didn't. My house got about a foot and a half inside the home. It was 8 feet deep out at the road. My neighbor Nick didn't get any water in his house and two houses down from him people had to be rescued off the roof as their entire house was under water. Once I saw those houses I understood how lucky we had been.

I'll never understand the Henry J hate that goes on around here. If he hadn't bought the company from Norlin, back when you couldn't give a Gibson away, it would likely have gone the way of Gretsch and just folded up. Since then he has tried to maintain the traditional line while expanding the less expensive models and tiring to re-establish Gibson as a forward thinking innovator in guitar tech. As a business professional I think he has said some things in interviews that his "stick it to the man" customer base never likes to hear but business is not always pretty.

My pickup operation will not be back up and running until 2012. I have spent all my time on the house and now the shop is filled with black mold. It will have to be cleaned out but that won't be to hard once the house is done. We'll be badder than ever then. [thumbup]

Take care with that black mold.

I'm sure most folks figure that if Nashville looks pretty good downtown that all is fine and dandy. Floods don't work that way as you know from too-hard experience.

I still think Nashville did a far better recovery job than a lotta places could - it's just that flood recovery isn't instant as your own situation reflects.

I'm with you on the HenryJ thing. I've said I don't know if I'd like the guy or not on a personal basis, but if nothing else he's a fellow picker and certainly deserves respect on that basis, IMHO.

I'd still like to know how his guitars are doing. He made the comment that apparently at least some were those he'd had a hand in for design and truly, that kind of personal emotional investment gives a personal value that money can't buy.

And I'm absolutely with you on bringing the company back from a very bad place.

EDIT: Searcy... I don't know HenryJ at all, but... y'know in a sense, he may also be an example of the same "stick it to the man" thing - but one who exemplifies it by doing what he wants do in a non-traditional "MBA" sort of biz.

Think about it: Who would imagine a nice MBA would find some personal joy in making guitars and hanging out with a batch of reprobate musicians - and proving he could maintain a profitable U.S. manufacturing operation? I can see it now: "You think it can't be done? Hey, watch it happen."

m

Archived