Gibson Brands Forums

can't find an SG 61 reissue with 1 piece body!!

ironlung40

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

I think I found a 1 piece SG reissue!! We'll see once it gets here, as I had to buy it sight unseen. But I can't see a seam in the pics and the seller says it is a one piece. If it is not, I'll just keep it anyway as long as everything else is kosher with it.

I'll try to remember to update this once I have the guitar in hand!

OK. I got the guitar today. It is in immaculate condition. It is a 2009 in kept in the case under the bed classic.

I "think" it is a 1 piece body, but some of the wood grain is tricking my eye into thinking I see a seam. If it is a seam it is one of the best hidden ones I've ever seen. I've looked on the bottom near the strap button, and I can't make out a seam there, but on the top, I can almost imagine a seam. I guess some of the grain can can look like a seam, so for now it is a one piece, till I can tell for sure......my other SG has a seam that is pretty easily found, so I have that one for comparison sake.

I got this guitar as I really needed a backup guitar, as I only had the 1 SG, and I like to be prepared during a show. I don't want to have a problem and it take 30 mins to get back playing again, as often times I only have 30 mins total anyway. So, anyway, I'm being a little picky on this one, as I plan to only use it if necessary.

Funny though, right after I bought this guitar, I found a Gibson explorer and bought it too!! I'm set for guitars now, as I have all I ever wanted now. I'm just not a LP guy, so I'm not worrying about that GAS.

Nope!! I'm done for guitars! Honest! For 10 years I only had 1 guitar, so trust me, I'm done. I am, however, on the hunt for a gibson thunderbird bass guitar though. I don't have a bass guitar, and will be needing one as I plan to do some solo recording at home. I'm borrowing my dad's P bass right now, but I like the Tbird tone, better.

My 2011 Is one piece. I would have been just as happy if it was 2..

D

well my first sg reissue was a 2 piece. I was happy with it, but needed a backup guitar, and decided to just get another 61' so that is why I was being picky about finding a 1 piece. But, I'll tell ya, I think I still like my 2 piece slightly better. Both of these guitars are 2009 models. My original guitar weighs 6lbs 14oz (2 piece), while the one piece weighs 6lbs 8oz. They're very close on that regard, and they feel and play as close as any 2 sg's I've played before.........for reference I bought a 1 piece 2008 reissue and kept it a week and returned it. It felt awful compared to my first 2 piece SG. It was set up well, but just didn't have a great feel to it, and it sounded brighter and treblier and just harsher.....I then found a 2 piece 2010 model, bought it and played it a week, returned it. It was heavier at about 7.5 lbs, and felt too chunky. It played pretty well, but had a darker and muddier sound and didn't resonate as well as my first SG......finally, insert the most recent 2009 1 piece that I found, it is as close to my first one as I have found. The neck feels slightly thinner, but very close......but really, the one piece vs 2 piece thing is a moot point with these guitars......The bottom line is a good guitar is a good guitar regardless of the pieces. I've learned that first hand.

I also played every reissue I could get my hands on in every store I have been in over the time I was looking, so I played a lot more than the ones I talked about above. The next best playing 61 SG I've seen is in the Guitarcenter in Nashville, TN. If it is still there and the same one I played, it is an excellent guitar.

I'd like to add too, that the 2008 guitar was the most resonant of the bunch when played acoustically, but when plugged in, it sounded the worst........so while resonance is a good thing, having more of it doesn't always mean it'll sound better to your ears once plugged in. Selecting the right guitar is such a personal thing, that you really have to be experience enough to know exactly what it is you like before you can do it accurately. All of the comments in the forum can give you guidelines on what to look for, but you have to know from experience what you like and what you're after.

At the end of the day, most any Gibson you buy is probably going to be good enough, but it really is amazing how different guitars feel and play that are the same model.....Try before you buy is impossible for many, but really is the only way to know for sure if you're getting a great playing guitar or not.

• 1 month later...

You guys may not believe this and I don't blame you-I had a hard time believing it myself.

But my new $849.00 SG Jr. has a one-piece body. There is a swirl or two in the grain, somewhat unlike the way all the grain was almost perfectly straight in the old ones. I like it though, as I like interesting wood. Overall very pretty. But the point is that it is one piece. I've studied it in bright sunlight with a magnifying glass and there's no doubt.

I don't think it makes the guitar better or worse, it's just what is and I was very surprised.

I'm out of town right now but I'll post pics in a NGD thread in a few days.

Mahogany can appear to be pieced together when it is rift or quarter sawn, but is actually a solid piece. What may look like a joint in the wood might actually be the vertical growth rings displayed in wood cut either rift or quarter sawn. Flat sawn wood will have a characteristic mountain peak look with wavy lines throughout the piece. The rift and quarter sawn wood is actually much more stable than the flat sawn wood.

GuitarsAnn [smile]

• 2 weeks later...

Not to be nit picking or anything, but if you really want more quality why not get the custom shop reissue? I have played both at the guitar center and arguably the custom shop one felt better. But it is still hard to justify an extra grand and a half for a custom shop guitar. I do recall being at a sam ash once and playing a 61 reissue, this one was arguably the best one i had ever played, it did have a one piece body, and the cherry red finish was a crazy intense red. Like it had someones blood and sweat in it. It was beautiful.

• 2 months later...

Mahogany can appear to be pieced together when it is rift or quarter sawn, but is actually a solid piece. What may look like a joint in the wood might actually be the vertical growth rings displayed in wood cut either rift or quarter sawn. Flat sawn wood will have a characteristic mountain peak look with wavy lines throughout the piece. The rift and quarter sawn wood is actually much more stable than the flat sawn wood.

GuitarsAnn [smile]

thanks for the post. good info. Been awhile since I was in here, but I did, in fact, pick up another SG 61' and it is a 1 piece. I also believe it has the quarter cut you speak of as well. It is a great feeling guitar.

Not to be nit picking or anything, but if you really want more quality why not get the custom shop reissue? I have played both at the guitar center and arguably the custom shop one felt better. But it is still hard to justify an extra grand and a half for a custom shop guitar. I do recall being at a sam ash once and playing a 61 reissue, this one was arguably the best one i had ever played, it did have a one piece body, and the cherry red finish was a crazy intense red. Like it had someones blood and sweat in it. It was beautiful.

I have played the custom shop reissue, and actually owned one for awhile. I did not like the neck on them nearly as much as I do on the 61' reissues, at least with the one I owned. But, a good suggestion nonetheless.

Mine is in fact 1 piece (2007 '61 re-issue). Looked closely to make sure last night. Not sure if you can tell from the photo, but you can see the two interesting characteristics (don't know what their really called) running diagonally through the body in the picture. they are visible front and back and show up really well in certain angles/lighting.

In any case, those made from a solid piece do exist...

6939224093_6695cd3b24_b.jpg

Been reading about the 1 piece body issue and thought id share this guitar I own that is obviously 2 piece purposely

I think it looks absolutely awesome. It looks like a Maple flame top sorta. Thanks Gibson One of your best.

04StandardNB003.jpg

whoops i edited my picture local and it messed up so here it is again.

Been reading about the 1 piece body issue and thought id share this guitar I own that is obviously 2 piece purposely

I think it looks absolutely awesome. It looks like a Maple flame top sorta. Thanks Gibson One of your best.

04StandardNB003.jpg

What model is that, yes it is stunning looking!

VP

Archived