Gibson Brands Forums

can't find an SG 61 reissue with 1 piece body!!

ironlung40

Hey guys, I just wanted to vent a little frustration. I've been looking for a 61 reissue with a 1 piece body for quite awhile now. I have yet to see a new one in any dealer's store that is a 1 piece. These guitars are typically touted as being cream of the crop, just below the custom shop, and with the finest selection of mahogany in a 1 piece. I even spoke to gibson's customer service department the other day, to check a serial number on a used 61 I had found. The owner claimed it to be a 1 piece, as he couldn't see a seam. I asked Gibson if they could tell if it was a 1 or 2 piece by the serial number, and I was told that ALL of the 61's should be 1 piece, as they used the best selection of wood on them.

This is frustrating to me. Anyone else noticed this trend toward 2 piece bodies on 61's? I guess on the big scheme of things, it really doesn't matter that much, BUT, I'm after a 1 piece if I can find one. I wanted to buy new, but looks, like I'm going to have to go the ebay route, and hope I get a good one, as I won't be able to play it first.

Any, info on this would be greatly appreciated. I didn't know where to put this thread. I thought about the lounge, but figured it was more SG specific. I know that there are 2 piece vs 1 piece topics already, but I had to vent. [angry]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, I just wanted to vent a little frustration. I've been looking for a 61 reissue with a 1 piece body for quite awhile now. I have yet to see a new one in any dealer's store that is a 1 piece. These guitars are typically touted as being cream of the crop, just below the custom shop, and with the finest selection of mahogany in a 1 piece. I even spoke to gibson's customer service department the other day, to check a serial number on a used 61 I had found. The owner claimed it to be a 1 piece, as he couldn't see a seam. I asked Gibson if they could tell if it was a 1 or 2 piece by the serial number, and I was told that ALL of the 61's should be 1 piece, as they used the best selection of wood on them.

This is frustrating to me. Anyone else noticed this trend toward 2 piece bodies on 61's? I guess on the big scheme of things, it really doesn't matter that much, BUT, I'm after a 1 piece if I can find one. I wanted to buy new, but looks, like I'm going to have to go the ebay route, and hope I get a good one, as I won't be able to play it first.

Any, info on this would be greatly appreciated. I didn't know where to put this thread. I thought about the lounge, but figured it was more SG specific. I know that there are 2 piece vs 1 piece topics already, but I had to vent. [angry]

Musician's Friend and AMS claim to have them in stock per their web sites. Didn't see any mention of 1 piece or 2 piece bodies.

I guess you could think of 2-piecers as being "green" guitars. But I know what you mean. I like one piece better too. You could call around or get your LGS to special order you one with the stipulation that Gibson ships a one-piecer for you.

I'll look into the ordering thing. I know it sounds like I'm a corksniffer, but I want a one piece, so I'll look until I find one. Thanks for the replies, thus far. I've owned 2 piece bodied gibson before too, and they're great as well, but I just want a 1 piece on this guitar. I'd settle for a 2 piece, but I'm not in a huge hurry.

Makes no difference to the sound so why worry about it? Play a few until you find the one that you like and take it home. If you're worried about 1 piece v 2 piece rather than sound you're not looking for a guitar you're looking for a knick-knack to hang on your wall.

Makes no difference to the sound so why worry about it? Play a few until you find the one that you like and take it home. If you're worried about 1 piece v 2 piece rather than sound you're not looking for a guitar you're looking for a knick-knack to hang on your wall.

Not true. I'm not looking for a knick knack. you shouldn't make assumptions. I just want a 1 piece, just like some people would choose a black finish over a heritage cherry finish. I've already owned 2 piece reissues. I'm patient, so no big deal in waiting for the one I want. I'm just frustrated with the trend that gibson is using more and more pieces in all of their guitar productions. I guess it may be out of necessity though.

If I'm paying close to $2K for a reissue guitar like this I'd certainly be looking for a one piece body. I'm really surprised that Gibson would release the 61 with anything BUT a single piece body. Heck my new SG Classic with P90s has a one piece body if I'm not mistaken.

Dug up this thread because I just saw a '61 reissue at GC that had what appeared to be a 1 piece, but it was a 2 piece.

After reading the responces, it is obvious you don't want anything but a one peice, but since I am here...

The 2 pieces on this one were so closely matched that had I not looked at the rear where the strap button is, I could not tell. Even when knowing where the seam was, I could not see it.

Anyway, it was very light, had a really beefy neck, big. But, one of the best necks I have felt. Also, while the light could have been wacky, it seemed to have a very red color, as opposed to the darker burgandy I see on most, but yet not like a new cherry color.

The headstock seemed a little large, but that could be because the body felt so small. I am not a big sg man, but I get the charm of them. This one was fun to play and had a lot of "sg"ness to it.

It was used, the price marked was 1500 and something and it was a GC in Clakamas Oregon store.

^Funny the Clackamas GC is where I purchased my SG Classic. I've looked at the same used 61 I think you're referring to - its hanging on the wall inside the sound-proof room.

^Funny the Clackamas GC is where I purchased my SG Classic. I've looked at the same used 61 I think you're referring to - its hanging on the wall inside the sound-proof room.

Wow. Rare to find poeple from the same place on here. And that is where I saw the guitar.

I normally would not shop GC if I were serious about getting a guitar. We are lucky to have so many good dealers here.

I much prefer Bob at GUITAR CRAZY. And then there is Apple Music. You been there?

If I'm paying close to $2K for a reissue guitar like this I'd certainly be looking for a one piece body. I'm really surprised that Gibson would release the 61 with anything BUT a single piece body. Heck my new SG Classic with P90s has a one piece body if I'm not mistaken.

That's my take as well. The one piece is just another detail that makes the reissues more special in my opinion.

That's my take as well. The one piece is just another detail that makes the reissues more special in my opinion.

From what I've been able to find Gibson hasn't marketed them as 1-piece (at least not in the last 5 years). The spec sheet and printed literature has always said "solid body" not "1-piece body". BTW, the "Guitar of the Week" SG models were marketed in 2007 as "1-piece" (at least by GC/MF).

Wow. Rare to find poeple from the same place on here. And that is where I saw the guitar.

I normally would not shop GC if I were serious about getting a guitar. We are lucky to have so many good dealers here.

I much prefer Bob at GUITAR CRAZY. And then there is Apple Music. You been there?

Yes - been to guitar crazy. I picked up a VHT Special 6 Ultra head from Bob a few months ago. I like Apple Music and also the new Proguitarshop in the Pearl District. Awesome shop.

I think most people would prefer a one piece - unless 2 piece were cheaper, and while I dont think it makes any difference tone wise, its your money so you should get what you want, these guitars are expensive so it makes sense to take your time and do your homework (so to speak).

But what is the case with Les Paul's?- do they frequently come as a one or two piece? I know my Lester is certainly a two piece

I think most people would prefer a one piece - unless 2 piece were cheaper, and while I dont think it makes any difference tone wise, its your money so you should get what you want, these guitars are expensive so it makes sense to take your time and do your homework (so to speak).

But what is the case with Les Paul's?- do they frequently come as a one or two piece? I know my Lester is certainly a two piece

Good question about the LP. The normal specs historically call for a one piece neck, and nearly all have a bookmatched 2 piece top, but don't know about the body.

If you take the high end models, like the L-5 and the like, these guitars had 2 or 3 piece necks when the lower priced ones had one piece.

Personally, I would think a bookmatched 2 piece body would be the better guitar, as the opposing grains should help to stiffen and even out the vibration transfer. I can't say that is a fact not having one piece and 2 piece enough to compare.

The one piece is just another detail that makes the reissues more special in my opinion.

I agree. Why don't you buy a Custom Shop SG? Forget about the sticker price you see at Guitar Center; you won't pay anywhere near that if you buy from the right store. Also, consider buying used. They go on eBay for $1,500 from time to time. GC sells new '61RIs for, what, $1,800? Only a fool would pay that price for a USA SG when a mint Custom Shop SG can be had for less.

Historic LPs are guaranteed to have one-piece bodies (except for the Joe Bonamassa reissue, which has two). Traditionals and Standards can have either one or two-piece bodies. I believe those new '60s reissues can have three-piece bodies.

I agree. Why don't you buy a Custom Shop SG? Forget about the sticker price you see at Guitar Center; you won't pay anywhere near that if you buy from the right store. Also, consider buying used. They go on eBay for $1,500 from time to time. GC sells new '61RIs for, what, $1,800? Only a fool would pay that price for a USA SG when a mint Custom Shop SG can be had for less.

Historic LPs are guaranteed to have one-piece bodies (except for the Joe Bonamassa reissue, which has two). Traditionals and Standards can have either one or two-piece bodies. I believe those new '60s reissues can have three-piece bodies.

I see your logic, but I like the necks on the 61's better, they have a flatter profile, or at least the one's I've played seemed to anyway.

I started another thread about choosing the best guitar based on inspection of the neck, woods, etc. Check it out too.

Interesting topic, I just went and checked my 2006 SG 61, it is a 1 piece, It is hard to discern but if I look at the edge by the bottom strap button with a lighted magnifying glass I can see the grain running sideways. If I would have just looked at the top or the back I could have thought it was a 2 or 3 piece because the grain seems to have seams. Apparently it is the nature of mahogany. I used to have an EDS 1275, I wonder if that was a 1 piece or not, is it possible to have such a wide 1 piece board?

Archived