Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson vs. Paul Reed Smith

heymisterk

I don't care for Basswood. Many of the Mira/Starla models have Basswood bodies, which lack the sparkly, punchy mids that I so love. I fell in love with a Korina Mira last year, but the thing was $1400 used, and is basically PRS's stripped, entry level USA model. It just did not have the features to justify the price tag. There carved top models are too rich for my blood.

The Mira I picked up has the mahogany body. I'm amazed at how resonant the guitar sounds unplugged.

I was also very impressed with the coil split. I'd played others, and the split coils just sounded very wimpy to my ears. This Mira sounds fantastic to me, whether split or full-on. There was cosmetic wear on the model I bought since it had been in the shop for quite some time, so I basically got a this guitar for the price of the Mira X (which, I believe, has the basswood body and moon inlays).

"Set up out of the box" is no measure of a company's QC. Everyone's set up is different, plus a guitar needs a little time to settle in after a set up. I expect to have to make an adjustment on a guitar right out of the box.

I can't comment on PRS because I don't have much experience with them. I have lots of experience with Gibson. IMO, a good Gibson is the best guitar made from a sound and a playability perspective. But their consistency and QC suck. Easily half of all the Gibson's I have played are flawed. I'm sure that one reason for that is because half of all the Gibsons I've played have come off the wall at GC, and we all know that they try to re-sell returned guitars.

Fender USA has better consistency and QC in their mass produced guitars.

My Carvin SH550 is the best built and best looking guitar I've ever played. I like its sound and playability, too.

Stick around the forum enough you get used to the continual feeling of deja vu :)

Hmmm what is the best guitar for a kind of a heavy rock, but not a heavy rock kind of sound?? I am not being vague am I, what shall I buy?No don't be ridiculous!!!! I don't want to try it..that would be absurd!! They all sound the same anyway don't they?

I like to remind Gibson that their consistency is bad and that Guitar Center sucks... Payback for the Gibsons I've had to return, the waits I've endured for replacements, and the heaps of money I've shelled out for their crap. [cursing] But I do love my Gibsons. [thumbup]

I like to remind Gibson that their consistency is bad and that Guitar Center sucks... Payback for the Gibsons I've had to return, the waits I've endured for replacements, and the heaps of money I've shelled out for their crap. [cursing] But I do love my Gibsons. [thumbup]

Right on. You can blame me for buying my SG Standard from Ebay, but the flaws I found had NOTHING to do with who owned it before. I too love Gibson, but I think some of their lack of quality control is kind of unforgivable given what they cost. You want to talk about sound differences and how we have done this thread a million times? Fine. But I would argue that I felt gyped when I shelled out good money for a real Gibson only to have the binding and neck go screwy within a year of owning it. [glare]

My Gibsons haven't had any quality issues, minus the bridge pulling on the LG-1 I purchased recently, but what do you expect from a guitar close to 50 years old. Maybe I've just been lucky. At least with Gibson you lose little in reselling your instrument at a later date, and sometimes get more for it than what you paid. The resale value I've seen for PRS guitars is quite the opposite in most cases. They make a pretty guitar but I have yet to connect with one.

The Mira I picked up has the mahogany body. I'm amazed at how resonant the guitar sounds unplugged.

I was also very impressed with the coil split. I'd played others, and the split coils just sounded very wimpy to my ears. This Mira sounds fantastic to me, whether split or full-on. There was cosmetic wear on the model I bought since it had been in the shop for quite some time, so I basically got a this guitar for the price of the Mira X (which, I believe, has the basswood body and moon inlays).

Good for you if you got a good deal on one, that's sweet. They are cool guitars, but pretty stripped in the extras department. Slab bodies, no binding, rosewood boards, ya know, just the basics. Nothing wrong with that at all, but they should be in the price range of the worn LPs/ LP Jrs for what you are getting. Looks like around 12 for the Basswood bodies, 14+ for Mahogany or Korina, 15-16+ for some of the special editions. I just have not seen any killer deals on Miras. I would love to have one, but I just have not seen one go for what I am willing to pay for it.

As a company, into their processes and checks and stuff, PRS wins hands down.

You can just look at their videos on youtube and see the perfectionist attitude.I don't know about Gibson, because they need more vids.

That said, I will probably always pick a Gibson over a PRS.

Archived