Gibson Brands Forums

New or secondhand?

LarryUK

Through choice. What would you have.

A new Les Paul Traditional or mint secondhand Les paul custom? :-k

Both

That wasn't an option...

Whichever one plays and feels the best of course! Gotta get your hands on 'em before you pass over some money.

For the same price, I would of corse do the custom. But not having played either, I couldn't say.

Really, the only advantage I see to buying new is being able to pick and choose, but I consider it a real advantage. Buying new, of corse, you loose money on the resale right when you walk out the door, but when you have a bunch to choose from, chances are pretty good you gonna find one that fits right into you. So, in that sense the premium you are paying is for that fit that you get during the time you own the guitar.

I always used to shop both. If I find a used one that doesn't fit me but is at a GREAT price, I rarely bite because 1)it takes up valueable space 2) it ties up my capital (cash) that could have more use buying something that I might play or be something I really want. The returns in any money I MIGHT make don't pay for that.

I would go for the Traditional Plus over a new LP Custom.....IMHO the new Customs are nice and well built, but cost too much, the pickups are lame,

so, what's the point of buying one when the Traditionals are IMHO the NEW standard for a real and affordable Les Paul.....However, depending on

what year and how old of a LP Custom, I'd go with the old/used Custom....Why ?? The T-Top pickups, and the often hated 'voulte thingees'.......

I've owned a handful of old LP Customs....My fave which I had for 30 years was thrown threw a window, I shot it, kicked it, it fell many times,

it fell into a river while I was running from the PoPo ( I got away ), and that sucker never missed a beat, it stayed in tune, it was a monster....

Today's Les Pauls can't take that kind of abuse.........IMHO..................

I made it an option.

That's cute... sparky

I would go for the Traditional Plus over a new LP Custom.....IMHO the new Customs are nice and well built, but cost too much, the pickups are lame,

so, what's the point of buying one when the Traditionals are IMHO the NEW standard for a real and affordable Les Paul.....However, depending on

what year and how old of a LP Custom, I'd go with the old/used Custom....Why ?? The T-Top pickups, and the often hated 'voulte thingees'.......

I've owned a handful of old LP Customs....My fave which I had for 30 years was thrown threw a window, I shot it, kicked it, it fell many times,

it fell into a river while I was running from the PoPo ( I got away ), and that sucker never missed a beat, it stayed in tune, it was a monster....

Today's Les Pauls can't take that kind of abuse.........IMHO..................

You threw it out a window and shot it!? There has to be a story behind that!

Archived