Gibson Brands Forums

effects loop??

pete c

i know Ive seen this discussed before but i never really got an answer. my amp is a peavey trans tube 100w 2x12 combo. i run two pedals one is an mxr 10 band eq, the other is a line 6 uber metal distortion pedal.

i have run both ways, strait to the front of amp and thru the loop and i dont really see an advantage to the effects loop.

my signal chain is guitar to distortion pedal then the eq. [confused]

When you use an effect inline with the guitar its affecting the signal before it goes into the pre amp or power amp. When you run an effect through the effects loop it affects the signal after it has left the pre amp but before it enters the power amp. This generally makes for a clearer and more pronounced effects, best noticed with the aforementioned time and modulation effects. Also rackmount units work better at the line-level of the effects loop. I dont know if its the same with other amps, but when I run anything into my effects loop it seems to bypass the built in modeling features of the amp. I run my Line6 POD into the effects loop (return only) and basically to set the amp up all I had to do was drop the gain, max the volume and flatten the "EQ" on the amp and now everything is controlled by the POD as it now acts as the pre amp for the system.

Effects affect signal...

Hmmm.....

My sentiments, exactly.

Affect is a Verb, it means to influence, change (as a result), touch, move (a persons feelings) and a second less common meaning, To Pretend.

Effect is a Noun and SOMETIMES a verb. The noun Effect means result or aftermath, and the not so commonly used verb form means to bring about or cause.

So the stomp box itself is an effect, but it affects (changes as a result of transistors and microchips) the signal of your guitar.

Grammar its messed up!

I have both Marshall and Vox amps with effects loops and I just don't use them.I find that the effects loop of any amp just sucks the tone from your effects and signal.There is definitely a noticeable tone loss by routing the effects between the preamp and power amp stages.I've tried to use the effects loops but never am as satisfied with the tone as I am plugging my effects chain directly into the amp input.I managed quite well without them for 45 years and will continue to.

Affect is a Verb, it means to influence, change (as a result), touch, move (a persons feelings) and a second less common meaning, To Pretend.

Effect is a Noun and SOMETIMES a verb. The noun Effect means result or aftermath, and the not so commonly used verb form means to bring about or cause.

So the stomp box itself is an effect, but it affects (changes as a result of transistors and microchips) the signal of your guitar.

Grammar its messed up!

I learded something.

Grammar its messed up!

WTF is an " ad-verb "......Does it 'ad verb' ??? is it better than a ' re-verb ' ?? hmmm...........I wanna learned sttufff.... [flapper] ...

WTF is an " ad-verb "......Does it 'ad verb' ??? is it better than a ' re-verb ' ?? hmmm...........I wanna learned sttufff.... [flapper] ...

It is for your verberating. It doesn't add it for you, you have to put it in, then it reverberates it for you. So it can't be a noun because it doesn't exist on it's own.

That's why Fender couldn't use the word verbrato for the bridge, because the bridge is a thing.

I have both Marshall and Vox amps with effects loops and I just don't use them.I find that the effects loop of any amp just sucks the tone

Dead on!!!

Back in my early days, I would use the line out on the second amp (clean) and run my effects off of the clean signal, Today I use a separate PA for my dirty tone set-up coming from my dry amp....see images

Here's my Dry / Wet rig....

Mojave Dirty Boy amp / cab and attenuator mic'd from a Behringer 12 channel mixing board. Using effects from mixing board and vocal 300 multi effects... then finally through the JBLEON315

P5140084a.jpg

Additional images of the mixing boards and vocal300 effects and JBLEON315

P5140085b.jpg

P5140086c.jpg

The amp switching system using the Lehle:

A= input to Mojave Dirty Boy

B= input to clean amp Vox AC50

C = input to daisy-chain effects for clean amp (VOX AC50)

C+B = output daisy chain effects back to the Lehle foot ABY box. (B, C, C+B are programmed together separate from A)

Arrow = intrument (guitar input)

P5140086d.jpg

Additional images of clean effects and VOXAC50 and effects for the clean channel amp.

P5140089e.jpg

P5140090f.jpg

And an image of the complete rig

P5140092h.jpg

Frankly I don't perceive the tone suck on my Mesa, IMO the design of the effects loop and how is integrated in the amp circuit matters a lot.

I however can tell the difference when a delay goes in front of the preamp and then gets distorted because of it, I don't find it appealing especially when the preamp is driven to overdrive/distortion.

It is all personal preference in the end.

Frankly I don't perceive the tone suck on my Mesa, IMO the design of the effects loop and how is integrated in the amp circuit matters a lot.

I however can tell the difference when a delay goes in front of the preamp and then gets distorted because of it, I don't find it appealing especially when the preamp is driven to overdrive/distortion.

It is all personal preference in the end.

the FX-loop on both my Mesa MarkIV's were tone suckers.... I never used them when I was running that set-up... On my VOX-AC50 I had the FX LOOP disconnected, and that alone made a huge difference on the tone

My Prowler has an fx loop---don't need it! Seeing as how I do not use any rack gear, or time-based fx. And I have always found that modulation sounds a ton better in front ( c'mon, we all love Edward's Phase 90 tone and Andy Summers's Electric Mistress and Trower's Uni-Vibe-----DID THEY USE ANY FX LOOP?). I like running chain like this: guitar-tuner-overdrive-modulation-wah-amp. The only delay effect I would use is an Echoplex ( nothing sounds like tape echo---bucket-brigade pedals like the Carbon Copy, Ibanez AD-9, or Boss DM don't sound anything like tape. They're more for short slapback delay, or, in the case of the Deluxe Memory Man, Edge style "modulay". And I just can't stand digital delay---PROCESSED!!!). Running an Echoplex live is a big pain in the differential. My pedal chain in my mind says Boss TU-3 tuner-Ibanez Airplane Flanger-Barber LTD overdrive-Dunlop CBG-95 Crybaby. Speaking of flangers, who else on here besides me uses one? Someone has to have an MXR Flanger of some sorts. Fuzzy Fred I know you want a chorus but you for sure would love the Airplane Flanger. Keep in mind it does not do the EVH thing ( the jet-plane swoosh of the MXRs ). Its got its own voice--its based off of Paul Gilbert's A/DA Flanger from the 70s. This makes it more suitable for Paul's stuff ( its his pedal ), Pat Travers, or Rush, instead of Van Halen, Police, Heart, or Floyd. But I love the little sucker. Its big and purple though :)

Archived