Gibson Brands Forums

Been workin hard on my scales...

daveinspain

I'm also 58 and have been taking lessons for the last 6 or 7 years. Before that, I hadn't had a lesson for almost 40 years. I'm one of those who actually enjoys practicing scales. When I don't feel like practicing, warming up by practicing scales can get me motivated. It's like meditation for me.

A very good point....

Music takes a lot of 'heart' to play....it can be good to 'tread water' until the next burst of energy happens

Many Eastern musicians meditate on the notes they play....they also have more patience than most !!....

V

:-({|=

Question in general... Is it possoble to be a great guitar player and not know the scales?

I've heard of several, but can't remember who they are. I know Alvin Lee is one. I'll have to research the rest. It may surprise you.

Question in general... Is it possoble to be a great guitar player and not know the scales?

It depends on what "knowing" them is.

For example, a guy can have the patterns memorized and play them at will, but not know the notes. Or, a guy can know the chords everywhere on the neck and easily access notes, but can't run through the complete scales at once. A guy could also be able to easily know the relationship between notes, like the 3rd and the 5th, but not now the names of the notes, and some guys know where a lot of notes (like the A or the C) but don't know the relationship of them to the scales.

Also, you get a lot of guys who know the patterns and can burn through them without hitting a "wrong" note, and chords as well, and is practiced at it. Another guy could have a full knowledge of everything he is doing as far as note names and the relationship to each other, but can't get the fingers to do it all the time without hitting a wrong note.

If you haven't gleaned it from all the crap I just wrote, there are a lot of ways a guitarist organizes all this info in his head to be able to execute that in his playing.

The real question is "can you be a great guitarist without practice?" the answer is: how you are able to organize and process this stuff in your head to make it something you can execute determines how much your practice will benifit, but NOTHING happens without practice, and practice ALWAYS results in better playing.

It depends on what "knowing" them is.

For example, a guy can have the patterns memorized and play them at will, but not know the notes. Or, a guy can know the chords everywhere on the neck and easily access notes, but can't run through the complete scales at once. A guy could also be able to easily know the relationship between notes, like the 3rd and the 5th, but not now the names of the notes, and some guys know where a lot of notes (like the A or the C) but don't know the relationship of them to the scales.

Also, you get a lot of guys who know the patterns and can burn through them without hitting a "wrong" note, and chords as well, and is practiced at it. Another guy could have a full knowledge of everything he is doing as far as note names and the relationship to each other, but can't get the fingers to do it all the time without hitting a wrong note.

If you haven't gleaned it from all the crap I just wrote, there are a lot of ways a guitarist organizes all this info in his head to be able to execute that in his playing.

The real question is "can you be a great guitarist without practice?" the answer is: how you are able to organize and process this stuff in your head to make it something you can execute determines how much your practice will benifit, but NOTHING happens without practice, and practice ALWAYS results in better playing.

That's what I thought....

Interesting.... Any examples?

Eddie van Halen, Nugent, tons of players don't "Know" scales or what mode sounds like what over a certain chord(s) They hear it in their head they just don't associate it with a theory based name.

Which is the "Key" to utilizing modes that most people miss. It is the overall feel/emotion/characteristic that a given mode has over a given root tone/chord/progression

If you are just playing modes of a scale and not listening to how they sound over some drone note/chord/chord progression your missing the big picture....

Look up the Vinnie Moore lessons on you tube. I think he has one of the better examples of modes in application .... MHO

Andy

Guest FarnsBarns

My father, who is an incredibly accomplished musician, always says you don't need to know much theory, as long as your ears do.

Eddie van Halen, Nugent, tons of players don't "Know" scales or what mode sounds like what over a certain chord(s) They hear it in their head they just don't associate it with a theory based name.

Which is the "Key" to utilizing modes that most people miss. It is the overall feel/emotion/characteristic that a given mode has over a given root tone/chord/progression

If you are just playing modes of a scale and not listening to how they sound over some drone note/chord/chord progression your missing the big picture....

Look up the Vinnie Moore lessons on you tube. I think he has one of the better examples of modes in application .... MHO

Andy

And that's why I'm learning it now... I have always heard it and know what works and what doesn't but my fingers didn't know where they should go... :rolleyes:

My father, who is an incredibly accomplished musician, always says you don't need to know much theory, as long as your ears do.

Hmmm, sounds good, in theory.....

( I studied music for years, probably too much, as I can't sight read anymore....)

( ANY theory known, in and of music, of any kind, from any angle, is helpful...IMHO...)

I have come to it late myself. I started to try learn a long time back but gave up. Almost 20 years later I am giving it another go. I have been playing for almost 2 years and have had aboiut 20 lessons in that time (2 groups of 10) I have found that the lessons gave me the basics and now I know enough to practice and improve on my own/ with the iad of books etc). I try to pick up hints and tips wherever I can and pick the brains of any guitarist who is better than me (which is almost everyone).

I have come to it late myself. I started to try learn a long time back but gave up. Almost 20 years later I am giving it another go. I have been playing for almost 2 years and have had aboiut 20 lessons in that time (2 groups of 10) I have found that the lessons gave me the basics and now I know enough to practice and improve on my own/ with the iad of books etc). I try to pick up hints and tips wherever I can and pick the brains of any guitarist who is better than me (which is almost everyone).

I'm just gonna keep at it until I have it down. Next step will be applying it to improvising solos over chord changes....

And that's why I'm learning it now... I have always heard it and know what works and what doesn't but my fingers didn't know where they should go... :rolleyes:

Hope I didn't offend you. SYK My comments were made as a general statement as a continuation of the post I quoted and not directed at you. I think what you're are doing is great and why I mentioned the CAGED method... I was pretty dedicated to all of the theory and learning scales when I was teaching but that fell away years ago....

Andy

Archived