Gibson Brands Forums

Hi Acoustic players!

AS90

While we are on the subject of acoustics..... I was given an Epiphone EF500RA in an endorsement deal several months ago before I decided to come back to Gibson, and also a Valve Jr. amplifier. Now, being a bona-fide tried and true Gibson snob, I wasn't sure what to make of getting even a high-end Epiphone. But I knew the guy who designed the line for Epiphone, Mike Voltz, and I know him to be a master genius acoustic guy from the Gibson acoustic division, so I expected this to be a really nice guitar. Frankly, I was blown away by the guitar. Its LOUD, cuts through like a light saber through a Jedi's hand, and its beautifully appointed. What really jazzed me up was when I plugged that thing into a Valve Jr amp, set it at about 11 o'clock and made the combination sound like an old ES335 in the hands of Little Milton. Honking combination. I had to totally rethink my Gibson snobbery and give some proper respect to Epiphone. I've been a fan of several of their other guitars, especially that Jack Casady bass, but the Masterbilt line is just amazing quality and value. When I want rich, lush beautiful tone for recordings, I'll grab my treasured J200, but for down and dirty blues on an acoustic, the wide fret board and punching tone and volume of the EF500RA is astounding. If you've never pushed an acoustic through a 5 watt tube amp that was breaking up like a sinner on judgment day, I highly recommend it. :-k

While we are on the subject of acoustics..... I was given an Epiphone EF500RA in an endorsement deal several months ago before I decided to come back to Gibson' date=' and also a Valve Jr. amplifier. Now, being a bona-fide tried and true Gibson snob, I wasn't sure what to make of getting even a high-end Epiphone. But I knew the guy who designed the line for Epiphone, Mike Voltz, and I know him to be a master genius acoustic guy from the Gibson acoustic division, so I expected this to be a really nice guitar. Frankly, I was blown away by the guitar. Its LOUD, cuts through like a light saber through a Jedi's hand, and its beautifully appointed. What really jazzed me up was when I plugged that thing into a Valve Jr amp, set it at about 11 o'clock and made the combination sound like an old ES335 in the hands of Little Milton. Honking combination. I had to totally rethink my Gibson snobbery and give some proper respect to Epiphone. I've been a fan of several of their other guitars, especially that Jack Casady bass, but the Masterbilt line is just amazing quality and value. When I want rich, lush beautiful tone for recordings, I'll grab my treasured J200, but for down and dirty blues on an acoustic, the wide fret board and punching tone and volume of the EF500RA is astounding. If you've never pushed an acoustic through a 5 watt tube amp that was breaking up like a sinner on judgment day, I highly recommend it. O:)[/quote']

i know how you feel mike. i am currently in serious lust with my new aj500m. i think the overtones are still going from the first chord i played on it.

i put it down, went and had a bite, came back and it was still waaaaaa!!!!

I'm not an acoustic kinda guy. I have an Art & Lutherie acoustic. It's a great guitar' date=' but I find acoustics uncomfortable to play.[/quote']

You should try some of the smaller body acoustics available today. There are some great choices. I tend to prefer the Taylor X12 size (Grand Concert) but OM, OOO and other sizes are very comfortable.

I'm not an acoustic kinda guy. I have an Art & Lutherie acoustic. It's a great guitar' date=' but I find acoustics uncomfortable to play.[/quote']

I don't like many acoustics either because of the size, but I've had a lot of luck with Ovations. I picked up a Martin DCX1E a few months ago, a great sounding guitar, but awkward for me. I just got an Ovation Standard Elite 6778 LX and love it. It's a bit awkward sitting since it's a mid depth, but standing is great, I can play it lower slung like an electric, it's still a bit bigger than a solid body, but the elliptical back is thinner towards the neck so it's closer to my body. It's labeled inside as a Standard Balladeer 6778 LX which is a non-existent model, but I cleared it up with the company and conformed what it really is. A super shallow bowl is a lot more comfortable, but not as loud. Anyway it's not a Gibson, but to keep it on topic, I love my Les Paul BFG.

If I had one of them plastic back guitars' date=' the bowl would have to be inverted for it to accommodate my middle-age spread. =D>[/quote']

Ha. That's pretty funny. They started making a contoured back a few years ago, they should make one for guys with beer bellies, I'd probably pick one up myself.

You fellers on the corded side are welcome to the cordless, light side of the force anytime. Just keep the volume low and keep an eye on your own wimmen folk, no spittin', nor cussin' and leave your scatter gun in the car.

Hi Back to all you electric players.....

This Lounge will have to become a daily stop on my fourm trail. Thanks guys at Gibson!

Here is what can happen if you don't play Gibsons!

black_metal3.jpg

There's just somethin' that just ain't right about a guit tar painted pink.. exspecially with a 'Hello Kitty" on the front. I thank the Ever Living Lord it is a Fender and not a Gibby.

• 3 years later...

While we are on the subject of acoustics..... I was given an Epiphone EF500RA in an endorsement deal several months ago before I decided to come back to Gibson, and also a Valve Jr. amplifier. Now, being a bona-fide tried and true Gibson snob, I wasn't sure what to make of getting even a high-end Epiphone. But I knew the guy who designed the line for Epiphone, Mike Voltz, and I know him to be a master genius acoustic guy from the Gibson acoustic division, so I expected this to be a really nice guitar. Frankly, I was blown away by the guitar. Its LOUD, cuts through like a light saber through a Jedi's hand, and its beautifully appointed. What really jazzed me up was when I plugged that thing into a Valve Jr amp, set it at about 11 o'clock and made the combination sound like an old ES335 in the hands of Little Milton. Honking combination. I had to totally rethink my Gibson snobbery and give some proper respect to Epiphone. I've been a fan of several of their other guitars, especially that Jack Casady bass, but the Masterbilt line is just amazing quality and value. When I want rich, lush beautiful tone for recordings, I'll grab my treasured J200, but for down and dirty blues on an acoustic, the wide fret board and punching tone and volume of the EF500RA is astounding. If you've never pushed an acoustic through a 5 watt tube amp that was breaking up like a sinner on judgment day, I highly recommend it. :-k

I suppose you can also be an "Epiphone Snob"!

I just thought those of us on the electric boards could use this thread to meet people from the acoustic boards, we probably never speak to each other. Hi acoustic players!

Yet another ancient thread.

I spend time in the Acoustic, LP, SG, and Hollow/Semi forums.

But the Lounge is the most fun. . B)

Archived