Gibson Brands Forums

A question about the SG '61 Reissue

heymisterk

I am now LP free - just not my thing - and am looking for a humbucker guitar (I have the SG Classic that I love) and am considering another SG, a '61 Reissue.

Any thoughts on them? I have never played one, but they seem to have the goods that I really would like: lightweight and a great look without the hum of the P-90s, which I love but aren't always great for playing live. Also, are all the necks slim taper?

Thanks!

Jeff

What's wrong with posting this in the SG forum?

I'd say just go out and play one and see how you like it. Any GC should have one in stock. They have slim necks. Personally, I'd skip the '61 and buy a Custom Shop SG. You can get them for as low as $1,500 used if you're patient. Much better guitars.

What's wrong with posting this in the SG forum?

I'd say just go out and play one and see how you like it. Any GC should have one in stock. They have slim necks. Personally, I'd skip the '61 and buy a Custom Shop SG. You can get them for as low as $1,500 used if you're patient. Much better guitars.

Frankly, I get better responses here. Sorry if that offends your posting sensibilities.

I say go with the Standard, trust me, It's just as nice as the 61 for a lot less money. When I was looking for a more "upscale" SG than my faded Special, I tried out several 61s and Standards, and frankly, I couldn't see $800 dollars difference between them.

61 RI is a fantastic guitar, the best workmanship of all my Gibsons- just gorgeous. Plays awesome, slick and fast. So damn versatile, it is excellent for any style of music. I highly recommend this model,,, be patient and get a good deal on one. I bought my 61 RI used for $800. Dead mint.

I am now LP free - just not my thing - and am looking for a humbucker guitar (I have the SG Classic that I love) and am considering another SG, a '61 Reissue.

Any thoughts on them? I have never played one, but they seem to have the goods that I really would like: lightweight and a great look without the hum of the P-90s, which I love but aren't always great for playing live. Also, are all the necks slim taper?

Thanks!

Jeff

I have a '61 RI and I LOVE it!!! I can't go to a gig and not take it. I tarted it up with a few vintage looking parts and I have no desire for a historic SG. There is something magical about this guitar and the '57 Classics. A marriage made in heaven. I have an SG-3 and a Les Paul Custom with '57 Classics and neither guitar sounds as good as the '61 RI with them. I spent an evening in a local music store and plugged in almost every Gibson in the shop. As you pointed out to me in another post tone is a subjective call, but to me and all three guitar guys working that night it was the best sounding guitar in the shop. To be fair I've never heard a historic with '57 Classics in it, but I can't imagine it could sound any better. It sounds much like an old SG. Nasty, articulate, and lots of high end, but not the least bit shrill. Nice metallic pick attack. Super thin neck and it weighs nothing. One of my favorite guitars to play. I don't know anybody that has ever regretted buying one.

P5255803a.jpg

P5255798a.jpg

I have a '61 RI and I LOVE it!!! I can't go to a gig and not take it. I tarted it up with a few vintage looking parts and I have no desire for a historic SG. There is something magical about this guitar and the '57 Classics. A marriage made in heaven. I have an SG-3 and a Les Paul Custom with '57 Classics and neither guitar sounds as good as the '61 RI with them. I spent an evening in a local music store and plugged in almost every Gibson in the shop. As you pointed out to me in another post tone is a subjective call, but to me and all three guitar guys working that night it was the best sounding guitar in the shop. To be fair I've never heard a historic with '57 Classics in it, but I can't imagine it could sound any better. It sounds much like an old SG. Nasty, articulate, and lots of high end, but not the least bit shrill. Nice metallic pick attack Super thin neck and it weighs nothing. One of my favorite guitars to play. I don't know anybody that has ever regretted buying one.

P5255803a.jpg

P5255798a.jpg

Sweeeeeeeeeeet!!

It is mounted on a Vibramate so I can put it back to stock in a few minutes if I want.

Smokin'.....I mean, smokin'......57s, and a Bigsby......Sssssmmmmoooookkkkkin'.....

I played an SG with the Vibramate, and it sucks. I don't like the angle, it feels weird

If you mean the angle of the bar to the top of the guitar you can shim the spring to get whatever you want. There are also two different sized springs available. It works quite well, but I seldom actually use the bar. I put it on more to get a 60's look.

If you mean the angle of the bar to the top of the guitar you can shim the spring to get whatever you want. There are also two different sized springs available. It works quite well, but I seldom actually use the bar. I put it on more to get a 60's look.

Yeah, I assumed. Most people with the Vibramates get them because they don't really want a Bigsby

Whatever works for you, I just mean that it feels weird, not even just the bar, just how its higher up

Yeah, I assumed. Most people with the Vibramates get them because they don't really want a Bigsby

Whatever works for you, I just mean that it feels weird, not even just the bar, just how its higher up

You're right in that it does sit up higher and is certainly more "clunky" than a stock Bigsby. The irony, however, is that it actually stays in tune better because of the reduced break angle across the saddles.

Archived