Gibson Brands Forums

lighter fluid for guitar cleaning

davidl

My brother will use lighter fluid on his bass guitars for cleaning sometimes.

He came over with a new Epi 335 on Saturday and we talked about cleaning a bit. Is lighter fluid too harsh for Nitro finishes? I know it is somewhat toxic and I wouldn't use it but is it safe?

Zippo fluid will work, and it works pretty good actually, you can clean almost every single part of the guitar with it, heck it will even take the crud out of your strings. Apply to a rag then wipe down your guitar, do not apply directly to the guitar. If you use NAPTHA on your fingerboard its probably a good idea to use some Lemon Oil on it after as the NAPTHA will dull the fingerboard a bit. I personally use only a microfiber cloth and some elbow grease, take a little time but it guarantees nothing touches the guitar that I dont want too.

You will eventually end up finding a finish that you regret using it on. Just because it worked on on guitar, doesn't mean it will be safe for all of them.

I have used naptha for a problem before, and had success, and also one occasion where it cause problems. I now consider it a high risk deal.

Even if you end up using it for an issue, there is no good reason I can see for using it again.

The scary thing about lighter fluid, is it isn't made to be used as a cleaner or a polish, so one batch or brand could be different than another, and no way to be certain what it contains.

I used it to clean the fingerboard gunk off the '64 LG1 when I got it, then went back over it with Fret Doctor. No issues at all. Never used it on a finish, I've got cleaners and polishes for that.

There's a bunch of people over at the Acoustic Guitar Forum that use lighter fluid to clean their guitars. From brand new, to guitars that are 60+ years old. Might want to do research on the brands, and what it'll do to your finish, before you clean her up.

Archived