Gibson Brands Forums

I was asked to be Paul in a Beatles Tribute Band

duane v

We're having another rehearsal later today.... The George in the band (Andy) hinted I should remove the pick guard on my Hofner bass [confused] ... I politely told him to go eat crow [biggrin]

The John is having trouble learning I've Got A Feeling and Hey Bulldog, so I spent the better part of the morning learning the guitar part (Hey Bulldog) for him [confused].....

I really wanna do Dear Prudence but he stated there is no way he can play that song much less do both the guitar part and sing it. :angry:

As of now the John is really not at the level of everyone else... He can do the Love Me Do type crap, but I'm more into post Rubber Soul material..... I feel a bit pushy [blush]

Wow you're just like the real Paul.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those are all great songs live; Hey Bulldog, I've Got a Feelin', Dear Prudence.....

As are Helter Skelter, Savoy Truffle, Drive My Car, Doctor Roberts, and heck,

anything from AbbyRoad, even the whole album........Live !!!!!!!

I am most likely not saying anything you don't know here, as you obviously have experience, but just to remind:

It is unrealistic to expect everyone in any band to be as good as the others at all the same things. Let alone finding four guys as talented as the beatles, and even talented in the same areas.

I think, if the "Paul" ends up singing what the "John" is supposed to no one will complain. If you do it well, they will cheer.

And regardless of it all, if a guy ends up backing another guy well, then you got something. Besides giving the world a little something back by teaching another what you know, better to have a guy willing to learn and do for you than a guy who might have more skills but won't back you where it counts.

Those are all great songs live; Hey Bulldog, I've Got a Feelin', Dear Prudence.....

As are Helter Skelter, Savoy Truffle, Drive My Car, Doctor Roberts, and heck,

anything from AbbyRoad, even the whole album........Live !!!!!!!

I have a little recording of me showing them a Paul song, and the John (Alex) was just looking at me with a blank stare.... You can hear Andy calling out the chords in the back round... The George picks up quick [thumbup]

Hopefully Alex worked on this one a little... I sorta felt bad because when I show someone a song I don't slow down... Plus it's pretty easy in my book for a intermediate player to add the part by just by hearing the bass line and humming the vocal line.... even if they have never heard the song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxSA8fWvo2Y

We're having another rehearsal later today.... The George in the band (Andy) hinted I should remove the pick guard on my Hofner bass [confused] ... I politely told him to go eat crow [biggrin]

The John is having trouble learning I've Got A Feeling and Hey Bulldog, so I spent the better part of the morning learning the guitar part (Hey Bulldog) for him [confused].....

I really wanna do Dear Prudence but he stated there is no way he can play that song much less do both the guitar part and sing it. :angry:

As of now the John is really not at the level of everyone else... He can do the Love Me Do type crap, but I'm more into post Rubber Soul material..... I feel a bit pushy [blush]

Nah, Duane...you just want to do it "Right!" Otherwise, why bother?!

Keep pushing...maybe "John" will get the hint, or they'll find another (better)

player, for his (John's) part? ;>)

Cheers, and good luck!

CB

Nah, Duane...you just want to do it "Right!" Otherwise, why bother?!

Keep pushing...maybe "John" will get the hint, or they'll find another (better)

player, for his (John's) part? ;>)

Cheers, and good luck!

CB

They told me in the beginning they were advanced players [confused] ..... I thought I was going to be the main slacker, because bass isn't my instrument, but I can play it to get the point across.... And I'm playing the bass out of my AC50 [biggrin] ... So I'm a little embarrassed

They told me in the beginning they were advanced players [confused] ..... I thought I was going to be the main slacker, because bass isn't my instrument, but I can play it to get the point across.... And I'm playing the bass out of my AC50 [biggrin] ... So I'm a little embarrassed

Yeah, I hear you. People say a lot of "ssssstuff," nowadays, that just "ain't true!"

And..."Beatles" music is not as "simple" as some think. It's a bit deceptive, that way.

There's always a lot more, going on, than it seems, on the surface. Trying to get all

the parts, in the right places, at the right times, and still sounding natural...is not

an overly easy task. Plus, the songs, and sound, is so "Iconic," that if you're playing

in a "Tribute" band, they'd better be durn near perfect. ;>b

CB

I'm not looking for even near perfect, but jeez know how to at least sing and play guitar adequately [confused]

Well...Yeah! "HELLO!" LOL

Are these guys all good friends (aside from you, the new memeber)?

That may explain why they're putting up with the "John" guy???

CB

No offense to Duane. Having read "You Never Give Me Your Money", that line is pretty funny! [biggrin][thumbup]

Thanks I thought so too.

I didn't mean it as a put down on Duane either but he was sounding a lot like the real Macca if you know the history. LOL

Well...Yeah! "HELLO!" LOL

Are these guys all good friends (aside from you, the new memeber)?

That may explain why they're putting up with the "John" guy???

CB

I know the drummer really well, but it's Andy and Alex's gig..... I'll just have to be patient

Why would a guy be in a Beatles cover band if he can't sing or play like john?

Or better yet not know The Beatles songbook.

He can sing like John, but I've been playing Beatles songs since the age of 10, and he's been playing guitar for only 5 years.... At the end of a day this gig will make a better bass player, and hopefully a better singer.

Well we worked through the basics of Oh Darling last night..... I think I hurt a vocal chord or two [blink]

The Goerge and I were working on the music parts, while the John stood by and just watched.. He's going to need to learn the bass part ](*,)[biggrin] .... George may need a distortion pedal of sorts to get that piercing chainsaw sounding rythym part..... Maybe I'll comission Fuzzy Fred on how he gets that tone.

Well we worked through the basics of Oh Darling last night..... I think I hurt a vocal chord or two [blink]

The Goerge and I were working on the music parts, while the John stood by and just watched.. He's going to need to learn the bass part ](*,)[biggrin] .... George may need a distortion pedal of sorts to get that piercing chainsaw sounding rythym part..... Maybe I'll comission Fuzzy Fred on how he gets that tone.

What tone?

If it was one of the recordings I put up, it was probably my Sunn's drive channel. No substitute for that I have found except for a Black box Russian Muff, gets pretty close

Archived