Gibson Brands Forums

This Week's "Guitars and Women" Installment!

midiman56

I guess I could have tacked this one at the end of Eor's thread about the same guitar. Pretty surprising to have the same relativly rare guitar pop up twice in just a week. I bought this one from a guy that wanted to get a new Fender Princeton Reverb amp.

The guitar is in incredible shape ... it really looks as though it has never been pl;ayed. The original owner changed the black knobs for amber ... strictly for esthetic reasons of which I agree. He had also changed the Imperial tuners for tulip Grovers ... kind of a shame there. The original black knobs and all of the "case candy" is in the original Epi hard case which also comes with the guitar.

Beautiful player, this one. Manufactured in 2005 at the Tereda factory in Japan, any comparisons between this guitar and a Gretsch are purly superficial. While a "twanger" at heart, this guitar has a certain mellow smoothness as compared to the Gretsch "boing". Very comfortable to play too, especially if you have trouble wrapping your arms around a "big boat"!

So here is the lovely Epiphone Country Deluxe Elitist being modeled by the equally lovely door girl, Kat. Man, that guitar looks HUGE on her!

IMG_0102.jpg

Jim

Stunning guitar! I just bought a Gretsch 5120 in orange so I can relate to this elitists aesthetic appeal. Love the funky shape of the vibrato.

Yeah ... "Chet Arms" are very cool! You know, you can get one for your 5120 if you have a mind to. It's a fairly simple swap and one of those things that I always say I'm going to get around to doing with mine!

Here's an article by a player that completely re-did his 5120 ... the Chet Handle upgrade is towards the end:

http://hem.passagen.se/goba666/Gretsch%205120%20-%20total%20makeover.htm

Jim

would

the guitar, too

i have chet handles on both of my bigsbies- make sure you get the entire assembly and not just the handle. you need the part that it attaches to, as it isn't the same. its a pretty easy install if you have the right allen wrenches. except for the one time where i couldn't get it to rest at the right angle and i tore two of the posts off the bridge ](*,)

also be advised that the chet handle sits at a different angle and feels different than the regular handle. i prefer it, you may not. they sit a little higher and they are much easier to grab and pull up, as they are round. but you're more likely to bang your hand or the handle into the pickguard, knobs or bridge. you can alter the height by adding or subtracting washers (i like pennies) under the spring or getting a different sized spring (they make two).

damn that upgrade is crazy. he must love to tinker. were it me, i may have just waited a little, saved a little more and got a used 6118/6120 and saved myself most of the trouble he went through. but i'm not much of a tech. and the space control bridge is turrible :(

old country deluxe review

ok, i've been looking at these photos too long. i want to pull the fire alarm and take off with the the kat and the chet. are you allowed to divulge pricing? i can't be serious, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

kinda wonder what would happen if you threw some tv jones in there...

old country deluxe review

ok, i've been looking at these photos too long. i want to pull the fire alarm and take off with the the kat and the chet. are you allowed to divulge pricing? i can't be serious, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

kinda wonder what would happen if you threw some tv jones in there...

Wow! That is a great review ... and as far as my very limited time with her, very accurate.

I have it priced at $1399.99, Eor. I don't know where you're located, but I probably swing free shipping on an axe of this callibur! [sneaky]

I don't even have it up on the web page yet, and I would not be able to sell (ship) it until the end of June. Nevada has a 30 day manditory hold on used gear so the cops can check it against reported thefts. I have a feeling that she'll go on lay-away before then. Let me know if you want more (and better) pictures.

Jim

Sure! All GC's do lay-aways. We try to limit it to about a month (not looking for long-term relationships here!), but it's a great way to "lock-up" a used piece that hasn't cleared yet or just keep something from getting sold out from under you while you get the bread together.

Jim

Beautiful, Jim.

I am partial to the Wine Elitist Chet.

But the orange is just as beautiful.

The flame on these have always caused major gas.

The price is fair, been watching them on E-bay for about 2 years.

Within the next 2 years, I will probably own one.

Mark

i need to stop looking in this thread. really not a good idea, since the rent and bills just got handled. but, if you absolutely insist on posting pretty, pretty photos i cannot stop you. its such a strange, niche-y guitar- the kind of thing you can't make a decision on without having it in your hands. i'd want to try it with my gear and see how necessary is, and if there is any overlap with my existing guitars. can't do that without buying it, though. :/

i think if it was the red one i would have already walked into the desert for it.

not much in the way of vids/info online, guess these are pretty rare. this guy has a million videos of his:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwbeZAvGJ_A

and now, a michael jackson cover (of all things):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXqub6FPMH4

and it appears to be 16 3/4" wide, for those who were curious. manageable, yet still pretty huge.

Uhhhhhhhh, JIM????

What EXACTLY are you SAYING to these lovely ladies to get them to POSE

with the Guitars?????? I need to know what that line is - perhaps I can use it

myself..... [lol]

Probably something along the lines of "I've got a great weapon for you to play with", LOL.

Uhhhhhhhh, JIM????

What EXACTLY are you SAYING to these lovely ladies to get them to POSE

with the Guitars?????? I need to know what that line is - perhaps I can use it

myself..... [lol]

I simply tell the young ladies that, with their kind permission, I will be posting the pictures to a very popular and internationally viewed guitar web-site, where they (and the guitars they are displaying) will be admired by a large number of intellegent, respectable and well-heeled gentlemen.

In other words ... I lie my a$$ off! [biggrin]

Jim

Archived