Gibson Brands Forums

"Runnin' Down A Dream" Documentary

charlie brown

I'd heard about this, for some time, but...until last night, I hadn't seen it.

Great Documentary, on Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. Lots of music, interviews,

and interesting stories, about the band, and his side projects, as well.

If you're a Petty fan, and haven't seen this...rent it, or check out Netflix. [thumbup]

CB

I'm a fan. I'll have to check that out.

Thanks for the post.

Makes you think you have bad breath or something when you post an don't get a response.

LOL...well, I did wonder, what was happening? But, I just thought (maybe) people either

hadn't seen it, or...maybe, weren't all that interested. But, it's a good documentary...

I think, anyway.

CB

Oops, saw this this morning, meant to respond, the post slipped down the board, next thing I knew. . .

I stumbled across this about a year ago and was really pleasantly surprised. It is a really good documentary, and I recall it covering some interesting ground not only about Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' musical development, but also some of the band dynamics, etc., over the years.

I was also surprised to see it was directed by Peter Bogdanovich. I know he's pretty well regarded as a director (I really like Last Picture Show), but I never figured him for a rockumentary!

Wow...no Tom Petty fans, here? [confused]

CB

That will be a must for me!

Seen Tom Petty long long time ago live when he was an

opening act - and you wouldn't believe it - for Nils Lofgren!

He is one of the guys who delivers all the time.

And he knows how to put a Ric to good use!

Yeah, his beginnings sure sounded "typical" of a lot of us, back then.

I guess we either weren't as fortunate, or as determined (never mind talented),

as he/they were? Who knows? But, it's very interesting, and fun, too.

Loved the segment on The Traveling Wilburys, as well.

Peter B., did a great job. He should do more bands...IMHO.

CB

I've seen it twice! It's a good film, no doubt, and Tom Petty is up there among my favourite artists for sure.

Come to think of it, I'm kind of in the same position he was when they first started out. Our band is doing really well right now, but the piano player is moving to another town to study law after the summer, and we'd like nothing better if she stayed obviously. Sound familiar?

I've seen it twice! It's a good film, no doubt, and Tom Petty is up there among my favourite artists for sure.

Come to think of it, I'm kind of in the same position he was when they first started out. Our band is doing really well right now, but the piano player is moving to another town to study law after the summer, and we'd like nothing better if she stayed obviously. Sound familiar?

Yeah, you may have to do, with her, what Tom did, with Mike...talk him

(and his parents) out of going to school. LOL (Good luck!) ;>)

CB

LOL...well, I did wonder, what was happening? But, I just thought (maybe) people either

hadn't seen it, or...maybe, weren't all that interested. But, it's a good documentary...

I think, anyway.

CB

OK, I'll BREAK DOWN and answer, I was gettin' down with an AMERICAN GIRL, and having my LAST DANCE WITH MARY JANE, who then

told me, DON'T COME AROUND HERE NO MORE, which reminded me that EVEN THE LOSERS get lucky sometimes.......

Yup, I have the DVD........Very interesting...............

OK, I'll BREAK DOWN and answer, I was gettin' down with an AMERICAN GIRL, and having my LAST DANCE WITH MARY JANE, who then

told me, DON'T COME AROUND HERE NO MORE, which reminded me that EVEN THE LOSERS get lucky sometimes.......

Yup, I have the DVD........Very interesting...............

[thumbup]

CB

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, four hours long!. The doc was like is career. interesting at the beginning and dull at the end. Here in the midwest, they got zero airplay when they started and I remember Creem magazine giving them high marks at the same time they were touting The Ramones as the greatest thing since sliced bread. So I figured they were some punk band and never gave them a decent listen. I completely missed the boat.

Some of thee absolute best B3/Leslie sounds EVER. Even The Losers stops me in my tracks to this day.

rct

Lunch time, on the treadmill, I checked. STILL makes me knees quiver.

rct

Archived