Gibson Brands Forums

Epic Fail #2

vincentw

With all due respect to Jewel (who has sold more records than I could ever dream) that was just plain cringe-inducing. At least in the opinion of this correspondent.

Part of finding your way as a performer is song selection. I think that was her first problem here. Maybe she was trying to sing against type (like actors who play against type) but this is just not a "Jewel" song. And it just seems like she over-emotes.

That said, as of this writing, her video has been viewed 73,193 times, which is 69,525 more times than my most-watched video. So the marketplace has spoken and it has said, "David, you have no idea what you're talking about."

Hmmm...was never a big fan of hers to begin with. This isn't helping her case.

Pop singers who look like high school cheerleaders dressed for a party probably shouldn't cover Neil Young songs about drugs.

I got thrown out of an audition for the 1967 Mississippi Folk Festival for doing a cover of Buffy Saint-Marie's "Cod'ine". They stopped me halfway through and said "we don't want songs about drugs". I think they believed all folk music sounded like "Puff, the Magic Dragon" (heh, heh). They did let me do a version of Jimmy Reed's "You got me Runnin'....", but it was "don't call us, we'll call you".

All the audition judges looked like Jewel's parents would look in my mind....

I sometimes struggle with listening to Neil Young's singing and playing when he goes on his spastic electric guitar binges....sort of like Joe Cocker on speed. He does write some great songs, however, and when he was kept on a leash during the CSN&Y recordings, his voice fit in pretty well, as long as his singing was mixed down.

Pop singers who look like high school cheerleaders dressed for a party probably shouldn't cover Neil Young songs about drugs.

I have heard of singers trying to imagine characters in songs differently than the original, to gain inspiration. I know Jack White admitted doing this in his cover of Dolly Parton's "Jolene." I'd be interested to know what the song actually means to her, other than being a fun little guitar riff to learn.

This all reminds me of that David Lee Roth album..... can't recall the name, but he took a bunch of hits and turned them into bluegrass songs. It was not a good move, IMO.

Poisonfox, I'm with ya, I never liked Jewel much either.

I once read an interview with Leo Kottke in which he was talking about the horror of watching Ethel Merman (!) trying to sing disco on "The Tonight Show," and he said something I've used as a mantra ever since: People will forgive a wrong note, but they won't forgive an insincere note.

I have heard of singers trying to imagine characters in songs differently than the original, to gain inspiration. I know Jack White admitted doing this in his cover of Dolly Parton's "Jolene." I'd be interested to know what the song actually means to her, other than being a fun little guitar riff to learn.

That's a fair comment. We tend to internalize the original version, particularly if the song has specific meaning to us. At the same time, there are some performances that just don't ring true, and I think this is one of them.

And, of course, there is the nominal hypocrisy of people like me--white, middle-class, college-educated--doing songs written and originally performed by poor black guys from the depths of the Delta or East Texas or Alabama. They often struggled just to get by, and had little hope of getting ahead, while it was only a blow to my ego when I figured out I was never going to be a great performer.

At least I was born in Mississippi....

That's a fair comment. We tend to internalize the original version, particularly if the song has specific meaning to us. At the same time, there are some performances that just don't ring true, and I think this is one of them.

And, of course, there is the nominal hypocrisy of people like me--white, middle-class, college-educated--doing songs written and originally performed by poor black guys from the depths of the Delta or East Texas or Alabama. They often struggled just to get by, and had little hope of getting ahead, while it was only a blow to my ego when I figured out I was never going to be a great performer.

At least I was born in Mississippi....

How true. In my area, there's a singer-songwriter of some distinction who plays the blues but lives off a trust fund. I've always wondered how you can sing the blues when you live off a trust fund, but I've never gotten up the nerve to ask him.

If he wrote songs like "The Capital Gains Tax Blues" or "My Gardner Got Deported Blues," that would be one thing. But he doesn't.

The real pisser is that he's actually pretty good.

How true. In my area, there's a singer-songwriter of some distinction who plays the blues but lives off a trust fund. I've always wondered how you can sing the blues when you live off a trust fund, but I've never gotten up the nerve to ask him.

If he wrote songs like "The Capital Gains Tax Blues" or "My Gardner Got Deported Blues," that would be one thing. But he doesn't.

The real pisser is that he's actually pretty good.

"I'm So Bored Blues" "Where Should We Eat Tonight? Blues" "Too Much Lobster Blues"

"I'm So Bored Blues" "Where Should We Eat Tonight? Blues" "Too Much Lobster Blues"

How 'bout: "My Champagne's gone flat, and my wife's run off with the gardener" Blues?

or "The Dow's down 300 points, and my Porsche needs a set of tires" blues?

Lordy, lordy, times are tough!

How 'bout: "My Champagne's gone flat, and my wife's run off with the gardener" Blues?

or "The Dow's down 300 points, and my Porsche needs a set of tires" blues?

Lordy, lordy, times are tough!

Maybe we should start a new thread: "Blues that can legitimately be performed by aging, white, college-educated ex-hippie part-time musicians waiting for Medicare and Social Security to kick in."

That one could get too political, too fast!

Ironically, I notice many of the critics on these fail threads never post up any musical contributions of their own. C'mon now, let's hear what you've got.

I play bass for this band. This is our cover of Jim Carroll's "People Who Died."

This all reminds me of that David Lee Roth album..... can't recall the name, but he took a bunch of hits and turned them into bluegrass songs. It was not a good move, IMO. ....

Album - Strumming with the Devil . . . . . . . . . . . . . (from the Van Halen - Running with the Devil)

Ouch! . . . . . . . . . . . . . Here's a brutal cut -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olk8rZmlhY4

Strumming with the Devil . . . . . . . . . . . . . (from the Van Halen - Running with the Devil)

Ouch!

I was gonna post Strumming with the Devil tomorrow in honor of GillianGirl...LOL! It is BAD. [blush]

I play bass for this band. This is our cover of Jim Carroll's "People Who Died."

Nicely done Vincent! I bought the "Catholic Boy" album back when it came out in '80 — still have that album actually.

Archived