Gibson Brands Forums

Epic Fail #2

vincentw

With all due respect to Jewel (who has sold more records than I could ever dream) that was just plain cringe-inducing. At least in the opinion of this correspondent.

Part of finding your way as a performer is song selection. I think that was her first problem here. Maybe she was trying to sing against type (like actors who play against type) but this is just not a "Jewel" song. And it just seems like she over-emotes.

That said, as of this writing, her video has been viewed 73,193 times, which is 69,525 more times than my most-watched video. So the marketplace has spoken and it has said, "David, you have no idea what you're talking about."

David, maybe you just wouldn't look as good in the blue shirt !

he said something I've used as a mantra ever since: People will forgive a wrong note, but they won't forgive an insincere note.

And there's the old adage....

If you play something wrong, play it again and people will think you meant it !

Madman_Greg

David, maybe you just wouldn't look as good in the blue shirt !

I can assure you that I definitely would not look good in the blue shirt. But I do want to say that it wasn't my intent to trash Jewel. She's very talented and has written some very good songs. It's just that this cover is wrong for her on so many levels.

As to putting my money where my mouth is, here's my YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dhanners23?feature=mhee

As I've acknowledged many times, on a bad day my voice sucks and on a good day, it's an "acquired taste." But I've put the songs out there so people can judge them; a few folks have even liked them. (And feel free to watch and comment on the newest tune I've posted, "The Great Flood of 2011.")

Dhanners...I like your voice and playing!!!! Nice vids....however in the vids, it looks like your guitar is upside down and backwards?????.....lol.......keep pluckin'!!!

I can assure you that I definitely would not look good in the blue shirt. But I do want to say that it wasn't my intent to trash Jewel. She's very talented and has written some very good songs. It's just that this cover is wrong for her on so many levels.

As to putting my money where my mouth is, here's my YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dhanners23?feature=mhee

As I've acknowledged many times, on a bad day my voice sucks and on a good day, it's an "acquired taste." But I've put the songs out there so people can judge them; a few folks have even liked them. (And feel free to watch and comment on the newest tune I've posted, "The Great Flood of 2011.")

Dhanners...I like your voice and playing!!!! Nice vids....however in the vids, it looks like your guitar is upside down and backwards?????.....lol.......keep pluckin'!!!

I film the songs through a see-through mirror in an interrogation room in the jail where I'm incarcerated. That's why it looks backward. (That and the fact I'm left-handed....)

This all reminds me of that David Lee Roth album..... can't recall the name, but he took a bunch of hits and turned them into bluegrass songs. It was not a good move, IMO.

Poisonfox, I'm with ya, I never liked Jewel much either.

Strummin' With The Devil

edit - sorry my eyes are broken this morning I didn't realize there was a second page before posting this!!

Album - Strumming with the Devil . . . . . . . . . . . . . (from the Van Halen - Running with the Devil)

Ouch! . . . . . . . . . . . . . Here's a brutal cut -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olk8rZmlhY4

I watched the video. Who do I petition to get that 4 minutes and 38 seconds of my life back?

On the plus side, though, Roth had John Jorgenson playing mandolin. Jorgenson is a great, versatile player.

I will probably loose of a lot of cred here .... but I thought she did a fine job here. Given I have not heard the original as Im not a Neil Young fan, so on first listen I really enjoyed this track.... or did I miss something obvious ?

I will probably loose of a lot of cred here .... but I thought she did a fine job here. Given I have not heard the original as Im not a Neil Young fan, so on first listen I really enjoyed this track.... or did I miss something obvious ?

Firstly - thanks for the kind words for Porter Hall Tennessee's version of "People Who Died" -- it's a blast to play live, and I owe all the mojo in our version to our frontman singer/guitarist Gary Roadarmel.

Second - give Neil Young's version a listen and it might make more sense why we reacted the wkay we did to jewel's version. As I saif in my sub-heading, she is a talented singer. It's definitely not a vocal ability thing with jewel.

Does Jewel have a last name????.....lol......Although BAD, It is not as bad as Epic Fail #1

I thought her last name was zirconium. No? Maybe that's her first name, just not sure about anything anymore.

Jewel confuses me. When I first saw or heard her it was on SNL and she was doing the hippie chick with a guitar thing, and did "who will save your soul" and I thought she was absolutely great. I went out and bought the CD, even thought that style was not my bag.

Then, she did the "pop" thing and I saw no use for it. Not that I cared, or that I listen to that stuff, but I think that genre is filled with enough talented females who can oversing.

So, which is the "real" Jewel? What is her "type"? I don't know the answer to that one, but to me I kinda get the impression she has not left her genre, she has returned to it.

The music world is full of young female singers who are pulled in different directions by both producers, record companies, and fans. But which music Jewel likes and wants to make, I don't know enough to say. I get the impression that besides pressure from others, she doesn't really know herself.

I am a fan of NEIL both as a songwriter and a performer. I think he is a cool guy to (never met him). I know his singing voice may be different, but he has crafted it to be able to get his point across and he really gets his songs across. I also have much of HARVEST permanently stuck in my brain.

I thought this take by jewel not only shows that she gets the song, but she presents the song in a way that gets the song Neil wrote and meant. It does throw me when she over sings, but getting past that for the most part her singing shows emotion and her guitar playing is quite good. She can do the girl with a guitar thing all day as far as I'm concerned.

I am a big fan of old Neil. I like voices that have character behind them, that sound like the person singing has experienced a lot of life. I do prefer his acoustic to his electric though.

As far as Jewel goes, it seems like she just didn't have the story to back that song up and it ended up sounding fake. Who am I to judge though?

I am a big fan of old Neil. I like voices that have character behind them, that sound like the person singing has experienced a lot of life. I do prefer his acoustic to his electric though.

As far as Jewel goes, it seems like she just didn't have the story to back that song up and it ended up sounding fake. Who am I to judge though?

You are the audience, the listener -- that's why you are given the right to judge a performance. Consumers are all judges, isn't this a great country!

Well...like most single name entertainers...It appears she DOES have a last name...From Wikipedia:

Jewel Kilcher(born May 23, 1974),professionally known as Jewel, is an American singer-songwriter, guitarist, actress, and poet. She has received four Grammy Award nominations and has sold over 27 million albums worldwide

I'm pretty sure her four grammy nominations did NOT include this song...

Go to Youtube and look at Neil Young's various performances of this song over the years. When he first recorded it, the topic was a raw wound, with extradordinarily talented artists dropping like flies from the self-inflicted effects of drugs, alcohol, or both. It's an old story, but the late 60s and early 70s saw an unprecedented rash of it, and some great songs were written and performed by artists who were losing or had lost friends in the business. Think of CSN's "Out of the Darkness", for example, about one of the sweetest voices--and one most wretched, self-centered, tortured personalities--in the music business.

Traveling musicians lead an astonishingly isolated, self-focussed existence, and it's really easy to lose your perspective on life in the search for insulation from reality.

I confess that I am not a huge fan of Neil Young's performances, or even his writing, which can become convoluted and forced at times. Nevertheless, I think this is one of his great songs, and I've never seen anyone else even approach his simple, eloquent performance of it.

Context is everything in both songwriting and performance,

Now, if he could just get away from performing it on those Martin Dreads, I wouldn't be so distracted every time I see it.

Go to Youtube and look at Neil Young's various performances of this song over the years. When he first recorded it, the topic was a raw wound, with extradordinarily talented artists dropping like flies from the self-inflicted effects of drugs, alcohol, or both. It's an old story, but the late 60s and early 70s saw an unprecedented rash of it, and some great songs were written and performed by artists who were losing or had lost friends in the business. Think of CSN's "Out of the Darkness", for example, about one of the sweetest voices--and one most wretched, self-centered, tortured personalities--in the music business.

I need to remember not to post late in the evening after a few glasses of wine. That's CS&N's "Into the Darkness", not "Out of the Darkness".

Archived