Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul w/ what?

IceTr3

I'm buying a Gibson Les Paul 1st run robot guitar in mint condition soon. Before anyone starts flaming, I'm getting the guitar at $1200, a steal almost. The guitar is real by the way. I was wondering about what amp or set up I need to use. An amp head and cab or combo amp under $1000 please. I need it for small-medium gigs. Please recommend anything.

I was looking at the Marshall Haze full stack but I'm unsure about the loudness of it.

Does the amp head wattage make a difference with the cabs?

I was also looking at the Marshall MA and MG 100w amps. Someone give me quality over those.

And If all else fails or so, I was looking at the Fender Mustang Amp head and cab or the Mustang 150w combo amp.

Anyone have any suggestions.

The only way to know, is to try them all! Take your guitar, into the nearest

GC or Sam Ash...or, whatever store is available, and try as many as possible.

Try all different brands, and see which YOU like, best. That's half the fun,

of Amp shopping. ;>)

CB

But you have to play real loud at the store when you try the amps out. If you don't everyone else will think you don't know what you are doing. You don't have to be good, just loud.

I have not plugged my Les Pauls into any kind of an amp that I couldn't make some sweet music. It is all going to depend on your preference and style.

But you have to play real loud at the store when you try the amps out. If you don't everyone else will think you don't know what you are doing. You don't have to be good, just loud.

I have not plugged my Les Pauls into any kind of an amp that I couldn't make some sweet music. It is all going to depend on your preference and style.

you have to crank a tube amp to hear what it can do. [thumbup]

Not a lot to go on for anyone with experience to give you any ideas, which is what you want, right?

Like, what type of music, what size rooms, and what SOUND you want to get.

You might get some actual real suggestions that way, as I know there are guys here who do a lot of different music and who gig.

ROBOT AMPS......They come with presets....Just hit a button..........

Any amp will work with a robot Les Paul.....Treat it like any f'in guitar....play it......

Not a lot to go on for anyone with experience to give you any ideas, which is what you want, right?

Like, what type of music, what size rooms, and what SOUND you want to get.

You might get some actual real suggestions that way, as I know there are guys here who do a lot of different music and who gig.

I actually forgot to put what type of music.

I play for my church and youth so the room size is about 50-100 people and about 700 people. The room with 700 people has very high ceiling and it's very open and carpet flooring (that specific?) The youth room is about 50-100 people and has 15 foot ceiling and a tile floor.

I play music mostly clean and some nicely overdriven ones. I need the clean to be clean on most high volumes, but if it starts crunching that's fine, as long as it doesn't go overdriven. I heard the haze gets overdriven with volume on clean.

The sound I want to get is as I said, clean, and overdriven (not too extreme overdrive)

But what does the amp head wattage particularly mean? Is the Haze full stack going to be louder than a 100w amp and such stuff like that.

Are you serious though about the playing loud part? I don't really want to annoy people.

I think for clean and about a grand, a Fender silverfaced amp is going to be about the most beautiful clean sound you can get. Even a Deluxe reverb would be enough for those rooms, but for the larger one, you could easily mic it into the PA, and if you are playing in a group with a room that size (the 700 people with high ceiling) there should be a PA available. I think the overall sound for everyone would be better too if it came to that, rather than blasting everything from the stage.

You definitely do NOT need anything close to 100 watts, or a half stack, or even 50 watts for what you are describing. That would be overkill, it would be hard to control your sound and not be overbearing to the other musicians, and it would be a pain to haul as well as take up a lot of space.

Regarding the DELUXE REVERB, regardless or where you have the settings and what guitar you use, they mix well with other band instruments, making the others you are playing with have a better time with you, and have a consistently good sound regardless of what you are doing. And, they are easy to play.

I think for clean and about a grand, a Fender silverfaced amp is going to be about the most beautiful clean sound you can get. Even a Deluxe reverb would be enough for those rooms, but for the larger one, you could easily mic it into the PA, and if you are playing in a group with a room that size (the 700 people with high ceiling) there should be a PA available. I think the overall sound for everyone would be better too if it came to that, rather than blasting everything from the stage.

You definitely do NOT need anything close to 100 watts, or a half stack, or even 50 watts for what you are describing. That would be overkill, it would be hard to control your sound and not be overbearing to the other musicians, and it would be a pain to haul as well as take up a lot of space.

Regarding the DELUXE REVERB, regardless or where you have the settings and what guitar you use, they mix well with other band instruments, making the others you are playing with have a better time with you, and have a consistently good sound regardless of what you are doing. And, they are easy to play.

Thank you for the advice, but what about for overdrive?

Forget my suggestion about the Orange Amps if u want a Amp that does lovely cleans - but also forget about the Marshall Haze - this is an Amp that is built to do classic Rock. Have a look at Fender including the solid state ones.

Fenders love pedals so if your not happy with the Amp OD use a good quality pedal.

As for valve Amps 30 Watts or over in a Valve Amp is loud

Thank you for the advice, but what about for overdrive?

Depends how much overdrive you want. There is an endless supply of pedals that will give you different types if you HAVE to have it.

If all depends on your taste and what you are wanting to achieve, if it is just a little edge or a crunch type of just a little smooth type of compression type of thing.

With a good tube amp, (and the fender is one) you can get a natural overdrive depending on not only how loud you set it, but how you PLAY your guitar through it.

If you want a tube amp, something that's around 35 or 40 watts or so will be plenty loud enough. There are many tube amps that are about 15 or 20 watts, but that might not be quite as loud as what you need. If you want to be able to play clean and play loud enough for the 700 seat venue, 15 to 20 watts probably won't do it.

Solid state amps aren't as loud for any given wattage, so if you want a solid state amp, you might need something as large as 100 watts.

The Marshall Haze 15 W full stack is probably too small. The 40 watt Haze combo is probably more like what you need. It has 2 channels and uses a footswitch to change the channels. I don't have any experience with it.

There are many other good tube amp combos under $1000.

If you get a chance check out Blackstar Amps, I just switched from a Marshall TSL100 to a Blackstar Series One 100 watt and wow what a difference it was like my ears had just been cleaned. Crisp Sharp and to the point.

Archived