Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Artist Model

brannon67

I just picked up a Gibson hummingbird Artist model the other day. I really really like this guitar. Its a Dread, but a smaller D body, not so bulky, but feels solid, good, and comfortable, not like a full sized D body. Easier to handle. Sound/tone is amazing. It can only open up and get better with age. Does anyone else have this model? If so, what do you think about it.

I just picked up a Gibson hummingbird Artist model the other day. I really really like this guitar. Its a Dread, but a smaller D body, not so bulky, but feels solid, good, and comfortable, not like a full sized D body. Easier to handle. Sound/tone is amazing. It can only open up and get better with age. Does anyone else have this model? If so, what do you think about it.

Congrats! Welcome to Da Club. I have a 2010 H'bird TV. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine.

Hi Brannon,

I bought one in February; it's a great guitar and I love it. At first it caught my attention because of its fantastic playability, short scale and beautiful shaded top. It's also lightweight. But then the tone was what really convinced me: woody, crisp and "chimey". It's not very loud but it might improve with time.

I changed tuners (Waverly ivoroid oval knob), saddle (bone) and pickguard. I also changed the pickup beacuse I didn't like the stock one: I'm very partial to the LR Baggs M1. I did all this because this guitar is a keeper.

Here's the guitar now:

P1050611.jpg

I changed tuners (Waverly ivoroid oval knob), saddle (bone) and pickguard.

Is that a genuine Gibson pickguard? If so, and if you don't mind me asking where did you get it and how much did it run you? I've been thinking I want to put one on my Epi Bird.

I could be wrong but i think they are the same except on is short scale and the other long.

I've wanted to try one of these as well. Is it similar to the Hummingbird Pro they carry at Guitar Center? I quite liked the regular and the cutaway HMNGBRD Pro I tried at GC.

Lovely transformation. I like the look a lot.

Hi Brannon,

I bought one in February; it's a great guitar and I love it. At first it caught my attention because of its fantastic playability, short scale and beautiful shaded top. It's also lightweight. But then the tone was what really convinced me: woody, crisp and "chimey". It's not very loud but it might improve with time.

I changed tuners (Waverly ivoroid oval knob), saddle (bone) and pickguard. I also changed the pickup beacuse I didn't like the stock one: I'm very partial to the LR Baggs M1. I did all this because this guitar is a keeper.

Here's the guitar now:

P1050611.jpg

Hi meanstreak, no it's not an original Gibson pickguard. I don't know where it comes from because it was ordered by my luthier, sorry!

It's thinner than the original pickguard and, besides looking nicer, I think it allows the top to vibrate a little more.

Interesting you say that .... I was often wondering whether the traditional thick HB pickguard has an effect on tone. In terms of net letting the top vibrate as much as it could.

Ive been now reading on the AGF from a guy who prmotes 'arm rests' (ugly looking things) that they help tone as you are not leaning so much with your elbow / arm over the top of the guitar and not letting the full top vibrate. Anyway, if that has an affect on the top I wonder how much a traditional, thick HB pickgutar might also.

Just wondering ..

Hi meanstreak, no it's not an original Gibson pickguard. I don't know where it comes from because it was ordered by my luthier, sorry!

It's thinner than the original pickguard and, besides looking nicer, I think it allows the top to vibrate a little more.

My Deering banjo has an armrest which, somehow, doen't look out of place, but I've seen some armrests on archtops that looked like they were taken out of an Edsel. I took the pickguard off my LG1 because it was unbelieveably thick and I'm pretty sure that it improved the tone. BUT I've found that the single biggest negative impact on tone and projection of my guitars is playing while standing and having the back of the guitar rest on your belly. I was careful, for example,when trying out H'birds in GC to play without resting the back up against my stomach. Regardless - I'm sure I would have picked out the H'bird TV over other guitars no matter how 'un-scientific' the tests might have been.

I could be wrong but i think they are the same except on is short scale and the other long.

The pro has the same short scale as well. FYI, the pro - according to the Gibson web site (http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Square-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Hummingbird-Pro/Specs.aspx) - comes from the factory with a bone saddle. I wonder if that's also true of the artist model?

The Hummingbird retails for $800 more than the Pro. Does it come with a bone saddle as well? If so, why replace it? (note: newbie question here)

Thanks for the info about the scale.

Not sure if the HB comes with bone saddle, but it is a vastly different guitar from the Pro / Artisst. Mainly as the pro / artist body shape is based on the SWD, which is a bit smaller, tighter body shape, giving somewhat a different tone.

The pro has the same short scale as well. FYI, the pro - according to the Gibson web site (http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Square-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Hummingbird-Pro/Specs.aspx) - comes from the factory with a bone saddle. I wonder if that's also true of the artist model?

The Hummingbird retails for $800 more than the Pro. Does it come with a bone saddle as well? If so, why replace it? (note: newbie question here)

Thanks for the info about the scale.

Not sure if the HB comes with bone saddle, but it is a vastly different guitar from the Pro / Artisst. Mainly as the pro / artist body shape is based on the SWD, which is a bit smaller, tighter body shape, giving somewhat a different tone.

Cool - thanks for the info!

The Hummingbird doesn't come with a bone saddle...the nut is bone, but the saddle is Tusq...which is Gibsons posh way to say "plastic"

Tusq is synthetic, but it isn't the same as a plastic saddle. Tusq is an extremely hard synthetic substance with some tonal sound attributes...whereas plastic saddles are just, plastic. Tusq is way better than plastic for saddles. Just my two cents, along the lines that they shouldn't really be lumped together...it'll confuse the unknowing.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Brannon,

Here's the guitar now:

P1050611.jpg

Hi I'm new to the forum and I wondered what kind of pick guard you got for the Hummingbird. I had called Gibson and they told me that they didn't sell replacment Hummingbird pick guards and that they weren't aware of any aftermarket onces available. I just bought my daughter a Hummingbird Artist and would like to change it. Thanks

Yes on the artist. Our nearby GC has had several over the last 5-6 months. I've spend quite-a-bit of time playing them when I go up there. Each one was very, very nice. Really sweet instruments. If I didn't already have a "bird," I'd have come home with one.....Congrats on a great guitar.

Hi I'm new to the forum and I wondered what kind of pick guard you got for the Hummingbird. I had called Gibson and they told me that they didn't sell replacment Hummingbird pick guards and that they weren't aware of any aftermarket onces available. I just bought my daughter a Hummingbird Artist and would like to change it. Thanks

Hi Vigiano, It's not exactly a replacement pickguard: the HB pattern is painted and not engraved. I don't know where my luthier ordered it from but I found it here too:

http://www.guitaraust.com.au/body/pickguards/acoustic-pickguards/hummingbird-pickguard.html

...and my HB Artist is fantastic and its tone is improving with time. I'm so happy I found it (since it's a GC model it's strange that I picked it up in an Italian shop...). I know it's got very little to do with a "real" HB, but as MissouriPicker stated, it's a sweet guitar.

Archived