Gibson Brands Forums

The most amazing repair!

LarryUK

To you, define what makes a 50's-1960 Les Paul better or different than a 69 to 85 Les Paul..... I've played both and to be honest, other than the frets, they both feel and sound very similar.

It's just that era, it was fine years of guitar making. Just all the materials and craftsmanship put to it was that made it count. I think the in the 70's they had the ideas but it just didn't go out so well,but who knows. Why else would there be countless replicas of a Les Paul from 1959 be made? It just that sound and feel that goes out there.

Theres a video of Rick Nielsen showing off his guitar collection and he had the had exploer designed after the original one he had and he said that the Hamer was half the guitar the 58 was and it was right on spec.

It's just that era, it was fine years of guitar making. Just all the materials and craftsmanship put to it was that made it count. I think the in the 70's they had the ideas but it just didn't go out so well,but who knows. Why else would there be countless replicas of a Les Paul from 1959 be made? It just that sound and feel that goes out there.

There's a video of Rick Nielsen showing off his guitar collection and he had the had explorer designed after the original one he had and he said that the Hammer was half the guitar the 58 was and it was right on spec.

Point well taken, but if I was given the choice between a 2002 R9 and a 59 Les Paul, I would take the 2002 R9 in a heart beat... IMO they blow the 50's made LP's out of the water

Have you played a 59 Les Paul?

If not, how can you judge?

Of course I've played a 59 Les Paul... There's a 55, 58 Les Paul, and a 60 Martin D28 in the family that belonged to my late God Father which have been passed down to my cousins. Myself and cousins used to noodle on them all the time, and never thought of them as more than a Gibson Les Paul.... and I still don't.

If they were in my possession, I would play them like I would any of my current guitars

I don't get caught up in all that vintage stuff.... A good guitar is a good guitar... And sometimes you need to mod them to make em great... [thumbup]

To you, define what makes a 50's-1960 Les Paul better or different than a 69 to 85 Les Paul..... I've played both and to be honest, other than the frets, they both feel and sound very similar.

Regardless,

Hamer made nice guitars back then and to trash a nice chunk of aged mahogany and maple with aged nitro just cause it doesn't say Gibson on the headstock would be a shame.... Kinda like taking a 67 Shelby to the Junk Yard cause you're a MOPAR or Chevy fan.... [biggrin]

Andy

Regardless,

Hamer made nice guitars back then and to trash a nice chunk of aged mahogany and maple with aged nitro just cause it doesn't say Gibson on the headstock would be a shame.... Kinda like taking a 67 Shelby to the Junk Yard cause you're a MOPAR or Chevy fan.... [biggrin]

Andy

Hamer just don't do it for me, I feel the same way about Fender... sorry.... The only reason I have a Hamer is because it was given to me.

Of course I've played a 59 Les Paul... There's a 55, 58 Les Paul, and a 60 Martin D28 in the family that belonged to my late God Father which have been passed down to my cousins. Myself and cousins used to noodle on them all the time, and never thought of them as more than a Gibson Les Paul.... and I still don't.

If they were in my possession, I would play them like I would any of my current guitars

I don't get caught up in all that vintage stuff.... A good guitar is a good guitar... And sometimes you need to mod them to make em great... [thumbup]

I'll trade an 02 R9 for the 55 LP... since they're just LPs...

Funny you ask that because 99.99% of the people that perpetuate the legend of 1958 to 1960 Les Pauls have never played one.

I haven't played one, but I don't go on and on about them. To be honest, if I had one, I'd sell it to a collector after playing it for a little bit and take a ton of pictures, and then go buy a wholebunch of mid 1960s SGs with P90s, a vintage Jazzmaster or two and a few sweet amps and pedals, and then invest the rest

With everything that was done to that guitar prior to the repair I am surprised the man who repaired the guitar didn't find any duct tape. He11 there was Bondo and after bondo everyone knows there is usually duct tape....

Well heellll I musts a be durin it wrarng all dees yeers. I altways triet duh duck tape ferst den duh bondo! [biggrin]

Me gusta Hamer.

I've played one of those models before. It was really sweet and I wanted to take it home but I wasn't in the right place for it financially.

I wonder if their current output is any good. I'd bet they're decent instruments any way you look at them, whether you see them as tools for working musicians or as hobby pieces or "conversation" pieces around the home.

I play my guitars.

Point well taken, but if I was given the choice between a 2002 R9 and a 59 Les Paul, I would take the 2002 R9 in a heart beat... IMO they blow the 50's made LP's out of the water

Well if they were giving them away.... I would Take the 59, sell it and buy a R9 and put the rest on a house or a car! [flapper][biggrin]

You got an amp stand for free...so you do have the kind of luck that would place a free guitar on your lap....a '59? maybe not.

Haha!! Yeah i've had some good luck lately, but doesn't that mean I am headed for back luck soon? Yikes!! :)

Archived