Gibson Brands Forums

little accident = blessing in disguise

atj13

Recently I had a little accident with my junior, I would like to say that the latches failed on the case but that would be a bare arse lie. I didnt latch it properly and the lid fell open spilling the guitar out onto the carpet covered floor of my tutors studio. A small amount of chipping where the small E string hit the fret board and broke the string, anyways my dad phoned a guy who has a studio and does some guitar tech work. We had not met or dealt with him before, he tidied it up on the spot (would not take any money from me)and said he could redress the frets and smooth down the edges of the fret board. I e/mailed him yesterday and asked if i could bring it in sometime next week, he replied withing 30 mins and said he could do it now!(on a Saturday! he said "rock and roll doesn't stop on the weekend man")LSS he took it and in two hours I had it back and it is soooo much better than when I got it new in December 2010. He adjusted the neck,filed/polished the frets, lowered the action EVER so slightly and restrung it with britewires. He did not charge us much and from here on in I will not take any of my gear anywhere else. It is sometimes quite amazing that you can meet such great people just because you do something really stupid. There is hope for the world.

that's great!

I wish i could find someone like that.

I honestly haven't brought my guitars to a tech in over 10 years. did most of my own maintenance, but lately I don't have time to do it myself.

I've lost track of where the guy I used to go to is at. I suspect he does it on purpose because he's so in demand that he had trouble keeping up last time I'd seen him. He didn't charge much because of how fast he was able to do things and it was quality work.

He even loaned me a guitar from his personal collection once while mine was in for a headstock repair. (not a Gibson, it was an Ibanez- only thing keeping the headstock from snapping off was the locking nut for the Floyd Rose)

THIS is what it is all about. I dig this concept of doing something stupid and turning it into doing something cool.

Thanks so much for your comment, I often put something up and think "was that such a good idea?, I may look like a real *** now" I still feel like an *** though but it brings down to earth thats for sure, just really glad I shelled out on the Gibson.

The local tech I bring my guitars to charges a one-time fee for a complete set-up (including electronics check and fret dressing). After that every touch-up or tweak set-up is free for life. Pretty nice deal. Me and my sons' take our guitars to him at least twice a year. In fact, we're about due for another check-up.

The local tech I bring my guitars to charges a one-time fee for a complete set-up (including electronics check and fret dressing). After that every touch-up or tweak set-up is free for life. Pretty nice deal. Me and my sons' take our guitars to him at least twice a year. In fact, we're about due for another check-up.

Cool story man, It's hard to find people like that now a days...I'm glad everything went great for you [thumbup]

THIS is what it is all about. I dig this concept of doing something stupid and turning it into doing something cool.

"It's such a fine line between stupid and uh...clever."

David St.Hubbins, Nigel Tufnel

• 1 month later...

what a great story!

raises an interesting question for me though, the debate about to fix it yourself or take it to a pro.

I ALWAYS like to try stuff myself, try and learn new skills, and I like the satisfaction of knowing you can do the job your self. But, there is great satisfaction got from meeting great people, solid gold diamonds (!?... you know what I mean) that have big hearts and aren't in it for the money - that to me is a true professional.

Just got to try and find someone like that where I am, hmmm. [biggrin]

It is nice to know that there are still some good people out there in the world! In this economy it seems like every little bit helps, and maybe he will need something from you one day.

For example, maybe you know how to work on cars and he is having trouble adjusting the idle on an older car, or is getting a "fault code" on his newer car, and does not know what it means.

Glad everything worked out for you, and your guitar is playing better now. [thumbup]

Archived