Gibson Brands Forums

Just curious...

Silenced Fred

If someone asks you to "like" their music on facebook or something, and it really blows, what do you do? Like it anyways? Tell them they need work?

Personally, I don't want to let anyone become the next Rebecca Black, thinking that people love their stuff when all they do is make fun of it.

Am I a jagoff for that?

I can see your point, it can be uncomfortable depending on your personality. In some instances it can be the test of a friendship/relationship. The reason for the question seems to be that they want constructive criticism based on their view of you skills/ability , they want affirmation or some combination. I know some folks who are brutally forthright in their assessments. They reason that if someone asks, they give them their unedited honest view. Personally, there have been times when I would like to pass but I give them my take in technical terms and explain what I believe is the basis for my bias. If the playing is just crappy, I will say that it could be smoother. I have joked, with someone I know well that, "Of all the music I've heard, that is some of it." I like to add that in terms of taste, there can be no dispute. It works for me but YMMV.

I can see your point, it can be uncomfortable depending on your personality. In some instances it can be the test of a friendship/relationship. The reason for the question seems to be that they want constructive criticism based on their view of you skills/ability , they want affirmation or some combination. I know some folks who are brutally forthright in their assessments. They reason that if someone asks, they give them their unedited honest view. Personally, there have been times when I would like to pass but I give them my take in technical terms and explain what I believe is the basis for my bias. If the playing is just crappy, I will say that it could be smoother. I have joked, with someone I know well that, "Of all the music I've heard, that is some of it." I like to add that in terms of taste, there can be no dispute. It works for me but YMMV.

I mean in the case of stuff on the internet. I don't know these people, but if you speak out against them, an angry mob will be spamming you if you speak the truth

I don't "Like" things on facebook unless I love them. I don't add friends I won't talk to, nor do I change my status often. I'm not going to lie and like it, I'd say to their face "If I like it, I'll like it, if not, well it's not for me". I try not to insult anyone, but I'm not going to like it because they asked me to. Seems an odd thing to ask someone to do so, I'd lean more towards asking them to check it out.

Then again anyone who is comfortable enough to ask me such a thing would expect me to be brutally honest.

Oh. If I don't know them and I've spoken the truth, it doesn't bother me. That said, if I don't like something but have been asked to express a like or dislike, I don't feel compelled to vote. That's my vote. If you're in a potential marketing or requesting honest feedback position where your stuff is also up for review, I can see the tension. But depending on the total numbers of feedback, your stuff will stand on it's own regardless of a retribution by an idiot (e.g., a keyboard tough guy).

Did I do better? (that's a joke eusa_dance.gif ).

How did you determine their music blows?

Did you simply not like it? or do they sound terrible as musicians?

Terrible as musicians. I mean, the Shaggs sound better than them.

If it was not me liking it, I would tell them its not my cup of tea, but... it was good/bad/whatever.

If someone asks you to "like" their music on facebook or something, and it really blows, what do you do? Like it anyways? Tell them they need work?

Personally, I don't want to let anyone become the next Rebecca Black, thinking that people love their stuff when all they do is make fun of it.

Am I a jagoff for that?

your not normally backward in coming forward giving your honest opinion on music related stuff...jus sayin [rolleyes]

your not normally backward in coming forward giving your honest opinion on music related stuff...jus sayin [rolleyes]

im not talking about the bands they like. I mean if someone comes to me with their music, and asks for my opinion, am I a jagoff if I say that it isn't that good if it really isn't?

Steve, we have an understanding. You just like crappy bands [flapper]

The older I get the more true the mantra "if you've got nothing nice to say don't say it" becomes.

If I like it, or them or what they're doing it I'll support it eg. Atlas Stands and their products. If I don't I move along.

It's only if someone directly asks me, "What do YOU think of _____" that I'll typically tell them how I feel.

I even do that on this forum, I try not to post in threads I have nothing to contribute something positive to.

(Try being the operative word)

The older I get the more true the mantra "if you've got nothing nice to say don't say it" becomes.

If I like it, or them or what they're doing it I'll support it eg. Atlas Stands and their products. If I don't I move along.

It's only if someone directly asks me, "What do YOU think of _____" that I'll typically tell them how I feel.

I even do that on this forum, I try not to post in threads I have nothing to contribute something positive to.

(Try being the operative word)

oh, i know. I stay out of stuff if I can't have anything nice to contribute.

However, if someone comes up to me seeking my input directly, then i tell it like it is.

I got told I was a jagoff because some kid asked me what I thought of his music when he asked how it was. I originally told him it wasn't necessarily my cup of tea because it was post hardcore, different genre, but he kept pushing me and wouldn't let off. When I told him it sucked, he got all pissy.

Why do people do this?

I think I get it. It really depends on the situation, the motivation of the person asking, and the motivation of the one answering.

Check it out: supposed I am wearing something I think is cool and I really like, but, I look totally gay. I would expect a true friend to inform me that what I THINK I look like ain't what I look like. A friend would care.

Personally, when I play for poeple, I want them to like it. I don't WANT to suck. As such, when and if I suck, I want to be told "that sucked"-however they put it. It isn't personal, it isn't an attack, and it don't make me a bad person.

A person asking for "likes" on facebook my be just trying to solicit likes for reasons other than honest opinions, and it really doesn't matter what you do. Maybe they know it sucks, but they just want the like anyway. But I see nothing really wrong with saying, "I would 'like' it but I can't because I don't LIKE it..sorry". A little humor can be a good thing.

THE REAL QUESTION: If you ask me for a "like" on a piece that sucks, would you return the favor and "like" me back for my piece that sucked?

I think I get it. It really depends on the situation, the motivation of the person asking, and the motivation of the one answering.

Check it out: supposed I am wearing something I think is cool and I really like, but, I look totally gay. I would expect a true friend to inform me that what I THINK I look like ain't what I look like. A friend would care.

Personally, when I play for poeple, I want them to like it. I don't WANT to suck. As such, when and if I suck, I want to be told "that sucked"-however they put it. It isn't personal, it isn't an attack, and it don't make me a bad person.

A person asking for "likes" on facebook my be just trying to solicit likes for reasons other than honest opinions, and it really doesn't matter what you do. Maybe they know it sucks, but they just want the like anyway. But I

Just for the record, what do you mean by gay? I hate it when people misuse that word, someone said my shirt looks gay, and I said "thanks, I usually can't pick out outfits this well"

Just for the record, what do you mean by gay? I hate it when people misuse that word, someone said my shirt looks gay, and I said "thanks, I usually can't pick out outfits this well"

What if I was wearing pink socks and a rainbow t-shirt? What if I didn't know? You would'nt let me leave the house without knowing, right?

Well, that really doesn't say it. Elton John, he is gay, but he is cool. He LOOKS gay, but he is still cool. You can be gay, and cool, or you can be straight, but look uncool.

You can look "gay" in that you might be sending the wrong message, or you can be "gay" where a gay person would just say that is too gay, let me help you out with your wardrobe choices.

I'd rather someone told me the truth than lie to me for the sake of being nice (or in fear of being slammed by the rest of the community). I do applaud others for having the guts to post their work for all to see, but some of the most recent ones make me click the stop button really quickly - really pitchy and lots of warbling. If it's simply a music style I'll usually just state that it's not my preference, gimmick bands are an exception.

Am I a jagoff for that?

just say its not my style

Asking somebody to "Like" what you have created is a pretty "needy" thing to do.

I think you were spot on when you said it wasn't your cup of tea ( maybe followed by It's hard for me to be a good judge of something I don't truly understand) and turn the question around on them.

What do you like or don't like about it? Anything you would do differently if you could etc....

If they can't take the "hint" and keep pressing I would add the "Are you prepared to hear a truthful answer purely based on my personal opinion?"

If they still don't get the hint then provide an honest answer that points out the good, bad, and the ugly from your perspective. Maybe some suggestions on what you would do differently but add If that were the case it would be the Fuzzy Fred Band not theirs.

In any case you're still a Jagoff! [flapper][biggrin]

Andy

Asking somebody to "Like" what you have created is a pretty "needy" thing to do.

I think you were spot on when you said it wasn't your cup of tea ( maybe followed by It's hard for me to be a good judge of something I don't truly understand) and turn the question around on them.

What do you like or don't like about it? Anything you would do differently if you could etc....

If they can't take the "hint" and keep pressing I would add the "Are you prepared to hear a truthful answer purely based on my personal opinion?"

If they still don't get the hint then provide an honest answer that points out the good, bad, and the ugly from your perspective. Maybe some suggestions on what you would do differently but add If that were the case it would be the Fuzzy Fred Band not theirs.

Any any case you're still a Jagoff! [flapper][biggrin]

Andy

Exactly! If I don't straight up say I like it, there is probably a reason for that/

And if by jagoff, you mean the fender JAGuar is an OFFset, then yes, I do like Jaguars, but before Jazzmasters... so I could I be a Jazzoff instead?

Archived