Gibson Brands Forums

Recommended Effect Pedals?

Anthony_J

For around $50 Danelectro's Cool Cat pedals are a great buy.Recently I bought their Tremole,Vibe and Chorus Pedals and they are great effects.The vibe and chorus pedals can give you a pretty good Univibe and Lesslie type sound respectively and the tremolo can give you anything from the subtle Tommy James Crimson and Clover to the full blown Johnny Marr tremolo that he got in the Smiths' How Soon Is Now? Danelectro Hash Browns Flanger and French Toast Octave/Fuzz pedals are also great bang for the buck.

I second that I got a cool cat for about 50$, and it's great, not to mention free stickers!

If you're handy with a soldering iron you can get a kit from Devi for like $25.

I've had a Hoof and it doesn't really sound much like Jack White but it sounds just like my man Dan. I don't recommend it for you though. You already have a Big Muff and you can cover those sounds well enough with it. I also couldn't get the Hoof to cut through the mix at all (with just me and a drummer). It was the worst pedal I've ever used in a band situation. It has a mids knob but I found it to be basically useless. YMMV. It sounded great on it's own though.

Seriously that pedal left me scratching my head. I truly don't understand how Dan makes it work. I think he uses bright amps set incredibly loud. That's the only explanation I can think of.

Where do you get one of those Devi kits? Is it anything like BYOC? Im thinking of making my own superfuzz or fuzzface from a kit.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/deviever?section_id=6842853

right here buddy. You can make lots of her pedals with slight variations on the available kits.

It's kinda like byoc but you have to buy the enclosure (and I think the pots and switch) seperately. You can get those at smallbearelec.com, pedalpartsplus.com, mammothelectronics.com, etc.

They're her pedals not fuzz face clones and stuff (although some of her pedals are clones). They're worth a look either way. And they're cheap.

If you want just a PCB, check out madbean.com

The BYOC kits sound really good and come with everything you need but they're kindof expensive. I just bought a kit from mammoth. It was like $60 they're on sale right now.

So far I'm in between a good tuner pedal, a good overdrive (I LOVE the tone on the Nobrainer), or a Mosrite Fuzz clone.

Hm, decisions. I'll start looking at prices and work my way from there.

And yeah, I am trying to get the Dan Auerbach tone. Not so much Jack White.

So far I'm in between a good tuner pedal, a good overdrive (I LOVE the tone on the Nobrainer), or a Mosrite Fuzz clone.

No Brainer aint cheap its $180, not made in the USA. Some guy in a middle eastern country makes them...Isareal?

No Brainer aint cheap its $180, not made in the USA. Some guy in a middle eastern country makes them...Isareal?

Yep Israel...Just an incredible pedal...It's tone knob ACTUALLY WORKS....The amount of gain you can get as well is insane..from 70's rock to Death Metal..

Do you have one Dem00n?

Yep Israel...Just an incredible pedal...It's tone knob ACTUALLY WORKS....The amount of gain you can get as well is insane..from 70's rock to Death Metal..

Do you have one Dem00n?

Im horrible at saving money lately, i have $150 one day then tomorrow im down to 100 cause i found some CD's for cheap, new excuse everytime. I will get one, this year.

What kindof Dan Auerbach tone are we talking about? If it's like "Thickfreakness" then you want a green Sovtek Muff clone. If I were to go for another green Muff clone I'd get a Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian or try to build my own.

I'm not really sure what he uses for the nastier stuff. If you're looking for a sound like "Howlin For You" (not my favorite song but I dunno just an example) you will not ever get that from a muff.

Dan has said that his favorite fuzz is the Jordan Bosstone. I'm sure he used it on lots of recordings.

Also running an overdrive into a muff is pretty rad. You should try that too.

What kindof Dan Auerbach tone are we talking about? If it's like "Thickfreakness" then you want a green Sovtek Muff clone. If I were to go for another green Muff clone I'd get a Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian or try to build my own.

I'm not really sure what he uses for the nastier stuff. If you're looking for a sound like "Howlin For You" (not my favorite song but I dunno just an example) you will not ever get that from a muff.

Dan has said that his favorite fuzz is the Jordan Bosstone. I'm sure he used it on lots of recordings.

Also running an overdrive into a muff is pretty rad. You should try that too.

I read in a magazine that interviewed Dan and he said he used a Z.vex Octane on Thickfreakness. I'm after the "Magic Potion" tone and the Attack and Release tone. I can get Brother's down pretty well.

For the main riff on the song Thickfreakness? That can't be right. That sound is green muff all the way.

I shared the same sentiment, then I read the article. I was too much of a cheapskate to buy the magazine so I took pictures of the interview on my phone.

GuitarWorld: "You have a rather large collection of fuzz pedals."

Dan: "I have a few. I have a Z.Vex Octane, which is great for really unnatural octave-up and octave-down fuzz. That's what you hear on a song like "Thickfreakness". Another one is an old Ibanez Standard Fuzz with two sliders. That's all over 'Brothers'. I also have a Jordan Bosstone, and the [Analogman] Sun Face. I've used that one a **** ton. Other than my fuzz pedals, my only other pedal in the studio is a Boss Tremolo. That's on every record."

Dude I just can't believe that. I thought it was kinda weird that he didn't mention the Sovtek Muff at all. If you look at his live board he usually has 2. I'm just trying to think of a part in thickfreakness that sounds like an Octane and not a green muff...

Everything that is fuzzy in my brain just got ROCKED. I don't know if I can go on. Seriously.. This is traumatic. Dude how could you do this to

me. ****.

Dude I just can't believe that. I thought it was kinda weird that he didn't mention the Sovtek Muff at all. If you look at his live board he usually has 2. I'm just trying to think of a part in thickfreakness that sounds like an Octane and not a green muff...

Everything that is fuzzy in my brain just got ROCKED. I don't know if I can go on. Seriously.. This is traumatic. Dude how could you do this to

me. ****.

Dude, the weird kinda wheezing part on thickfreakness. I didn't think that was a muff

I haven't listened to it in a while. I'm just sayin my hoof nailed that sound so perfectly I can't believe it's an octane which isn't even similar.

Was he just talking about one part or the whole thing (cept for the clean part)?

No idea. It never sounded muffy to me :idk:

There are 2 types of Cool Cat pedals that I've seen-metal case and plastic case-the metal case ones are bullet proof and that's the type that I have.The sound is far better than many pedals costing sometimes 3 times as much.BTW the Cool Cat Transparent overdrive pedals are with out equal in their price range and are right up there with the famous original Ibanez Tube Screamers.

They all sound pretty good but even the metal enclosure ones have the cheap plastic switches and jacks so they're really no more durable than the ones with plastic enclosures. They're just like the guitars, cheap materials and craftsmanship but pretty cool sounding (& looking).

Again... Don't pay $50 for them..

I have a Black Cat Fuzz-Overdrive, buy one, it will cost ya, but its so good [thumbup]

These actually look kinda cool. I've heard some good things about them.

I also kinda have a thing for black cats.. I have somewhat of a black cat pedal myself hahaha

photo-176.jpg

As for Thickfreakness, I still think it sounds like a green muff.. Maybe I'm just thinking of certain parts and leaving certain parts out.

Archived