Gibson Brands Forums

Oh geez...

Silenced Fred

So my guitarist texts me and asks how important our last show is. Mind you, I am moving away to Colorado from Illinois after this summer. So we have a show scheduled for like a week before I leave for Colorado. So anyways, he texts and asks if I consider this show important. I say every show is important, but yeah, its our last show and I mean its kind of a big deal, at least for me. He calls me and says that some friends invited him up to go to someone's uncle's cabin in Wisconsin to get drunk or something, and he wants to do that instead of our show...

Are you kidding me? You would rather get shitty with some friends than play a final show with your band?

Why am I stuck with these idiots?

Now he is all pissy because I called him out and told him he get drunk all he wants, we can play as a trio without him.

ok... a gig is a gig. It's not like a close family member just invited him to their wedding or there was a death in his family. He asked to go get drunk...there will be other times that this can be done. For that matter, is the gig at a bar? He should have tried to convince his friends to come to the show and then even if they chose not to drink at the bar you guys could have gone and had party somewhere after the show.

I've had people blow off rehearsals before, and to me that's almost as bad since it can affect the performance at your gigs.

My wife and I, before we were married, had a rule that Sunday was our day together and that I wouldn't practice with the band on those days, and with the exception of the weekends when we were out of town or the occasional Sunday evening gig (which was very rare) I stuck to it. In fact the only Sunday gig I ever played was a battle of the bands with a prize of $2000 to split amongst the band and studio time at a local studio. If there was something in it for us besides just the usual bar tab or potential to get more than the usual amount of money, I convinced my wife to ease up and we made up for it on another day.

Eventually that rule ended up breaking up the band, but that was because someone else in the band had a habit of blowing off practice to go out with his girlfriend and expected me to change my plans for Sunday to convenience him. He and his girlfriend had the whole weekend off and spent every moment, except the 3 or 4 hours we rehearsed, together. My then future wife and I only had Sunday. When he delivered an ultimatum to me, I called his bluff and quit. Then when he was forced to explain to the others why they were looking for a new guitarist, the others quit too. The reason the rest of us never got together and tossed out the other guy was that he had the rehearsal space, the singer already had a second band and decided to make that his focus and the bassist just got discouraged with all the b.s. we'd been through with 2 previous bands and this one and gave up doing the band thing.

eh. Go on off to Colorado with you and go where you are going. You don't need to be in a band with people that would rather go drinking in the woods. Good luck with yer move and yer last show if it goes off.

I love Colorado. If'n I could find decent work we'd prolly go tomorrow. When you go, if you haven't already, take 70 past Denver and into the Glenwood Canyon. Most beautiful drive you'll ever do.

rct

eh. Go on off to Colorado with you and go where you are going. You don't need to be in a band with people that would rather go drinking in the woods. Good luck with yer move and yer last show if it goes off.

I love Colorado. If'n I could find decent work we'd prolly go tomorrow. When you go, if you haven't already, take 70 past Denver and into the Glenwood Canyon. Most beautiful drive you'll ever do.

rct

Yeah. I mean, I'm talking to a lot of venues, some in Chicago, and I don't get why anyone would cancel a show unless its a serious emergency?

Driving through all the hills takes me to a separate place... its freaky but good

Yeah. I mean, I'm talking to a lot of venues, some in Chicago, and I don't get why anyone would cancel a show unless its a serious emergency?

Well, lots of people own guitars, lots of people play guitars, and lots of people play guitars in bands. But not all, in fact, not many of them actually, are guitar players.

Driving through all the hills takes me to a separate place... its freaky but good

It is. We are headed west again this year, taking 94 and stuff, to the Beartooth to Yellowstone. Haven't been on Beartooth yet, looking muchly forward to it.

Been to all the National Parks in Colorado. I think. Pretty sure.

rct

How far out is the show? You got time to get another guitarist?

Sounds like he QUIT the band. Whatever. Maybe you only want to do one more show, but really as long as you have a working band, you are gigable at any time, stuff comes up.

Not saying you can't do the trio, but as long as you got a slot open, it may be an opportunity to get some experience with someone else.

Jam anyone?

How far out is the show? You got time to get another guitarist?

Sounds like he QUIT the band. Whatever. Maybe you only want to do one more show, but really as long as you have a working band, you are gigable at any time, stuff comes up.

Not saying you can't do the trio, but as long as you got a slot open, it may be an opportunity to get some experience with someone else.

Jam anyone?

He just didn't wanna play this show. Not quit the band. I have had to deal with too much band drama for such a short amount of time, I just wanna play my shows, record some demos and GTFO

Sounds like he's got his priorities mixed up (and/or is a pain in the *** as a whole). Just work through it, if he decides to be a moron and go to Wisconsin (god knows why he'd want to go to Wisconsin), then do it without him. Don't miss it just because you're missing one pissant.

For only being around for another month or so I don't wanna deal with more band drama. If he quits fine but I'm not gonna kick him out unless he pulls more of this ****.

Me and Evol should start a band, about how much we hate lead singers and their attitudes, strats, and bad pop blues

Archived