Gibson Brands Forums

Most Influential

Bowdiddley

What's a Beatldidn'tdexistsit?

That's the band that did ADAYINTHELIFE, and THECONTINUINGSTORYOFBUNGALOWBILL........[flapper] :unsure: [crying][scared] :blink: [lol] ....

Of course, dem00n knows those songs as being; AGTREIJTYF, and, UJORBYDSBTFHBJDTHBBD.......[lol] :unsure: [sneaky] ......

Ricky Ricardo (I Love Lucy) lead me to music.

Maynard Ferguson, great trumpet player

Beatles shaped me

Jimi Hendrix pulled me from my Beatles rut

Jeff Beck taught me that touch is very important

EVH changed my guitar life

Randy Rhoads showed that you can make an average singer shine with great writing ability

Beatles shaped me

Randy Rhoads showed that you can make an average singer shine with great writing ability

I love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu6Ra59RSis&feature=related

In general I look toward those who played a major role in guitar being the top influence in combo pop music in general.

So... Figure Mother Maybelle Carter, Charlie Christian, the early Bill Haley/Elvis Presley guitarists, Chuck Berry absolutely, Chet Atkins as much behind as in front of the scenes, Les Paul for a number of reasons. Duane Eddy, the Ventures... I could go on and on.

Once the stage was set within pop and early rock, then there was a foundation for the next guitar generation from Beatles through today.

Without that 1920s through 1950s foundation, rock in all its current variations today simply would not exist.

I think also the country string bands from the acoustic into the electric guitar age also deserve more credit as a "guitar music" foundation for today than they ever receive.

m

[lol]

Thanks for post #26, Damian! My name is sure to go down in the Music History Books at last! LOL!

Robert Johnson (nominated by DAS44) was unquestionably elemental for all blues guitarists, but for me, I'd second gypsyseven's nomination of Freddie King (EC in the Bluesbreakers was primarily replicating much of FK's stuff but just with the amp cranked full) and, to that, I'd add BB to Albert's name to get the three Kings.

Without these guys I'd be playing very differently, I suspect.

Hendrix surely made people re-appraise what could be done with the electric guitar as an instrument but I don't think his music was as influential; I feel it was more his approach to the music.

P.

Maybe not for his playing (though it was phenomenal), Les Paul.. Just considering all of his experiments with overdubbing, multitrack recording etc, he's definitely worthy of note in my book.

Beatles shaped me

Ahhh you're a mutt like the rest of us.msp_flapper.gif

Archived