Gibson Brands Forums

Just finished building my first pedal.

dem00n

Expensive? Define expensive. The parts and chips you get with the BYOC kits are top shelf. Compared to any number of boutique pedals? You can buy their OD 1 pedal kit for 69 dollars. The same chip in an original BOSS OD-1 from the early 80's will probably run you around 200 bucks for a good example. Once you have your solder iron and what not their kits are very cost effective. Rant over.

Congrats on your Large Beaver build dem00n......

On the Epi forum is a thread on how to build your own circut board......

( For all you builders )..................

Expensive? Define expensive. The parts and chips you get with the BYOC kits are top shelf. Compared to any number of boutique pedals? You can buy their OD 1 pedal kit for 69 dollars. The same chip in an original BOSS OD-1 from the early 80's will probably run you around 200 bucks for a good example. Once you have your solder iron and what not their kits are very cost effective. Rant over.

Well the kit cost me $90 when it looks like i can make the same kit for a tad bit less, around $50. Just sayin...

It's about $35 worth of parts marked up to $90 so it's pretty expensive but they make it easy and convinient for beginners and they totally rock so I think they're worth it. But yeah once you learn how to do it they're not very cost effective at all.

Wow thats great, thanks a lot dude!

Hello, Fellow Babies,

Cool job and hot stuff, dem00n. I never really thought -longer than a few micro seconds - about trying to build anything like that. Just trying to get the pickups and pots correctly wired into a working circuit strains my ability right up to the limits of my heavily caffeinated, sleep-deprived mind. I mean, when I got my chopper wired and it started on the first kick nobody was more surprised than me. I'm best known to my friends for holding the soldering iron to the wires until the heat fried the circuits, so I'm not known for my electrical brights, and expectations are low in every quarter. I'm very impressed. I'm always impressed by the DIY stuff. But for electrical dumbies like me, what is a Large Beaver from BYOC? Break it down, please, 'cause I don''t know any of those terms.

Funny isn't it that overdrive is so misunderstood and abused by everybody except guitar people. That is absolutely my favorite - and pretty much the only effect - I use. I guess every distortion pedal I've ever tried gives some sort of fuzz, but the ones I like add sustain. That's the good stuff--- the sustain. That's what makes the guitar sing! I've loved doin' blues for years, but I could never really get the sound I wanted until the distortion pedal came along.

I know I know, we all grow up, and we don't wanna hear from our mother's advice. Bless her little heart, my mother always wanted to listen to me play some semi-classic or diner music, she never liked it when I played rock n roll or blues. Just noise to her. But, hey, ma, the blues is callin'! ! I mean, just lettin' it rrrrrrip..... O, man....

overtherainbow - the Large Beaver is a clone of the Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi. You can chose to build it to either "Ram's Head" or "Triangle" Muff specs (two classic vintage versions of the Muff). It has an added four-way switch that toggles between standard scooped mids, flat mids, boosted mids, and tone bypass.

It's a pretty badass pedal and I'm a little jealous that dem00n has one.

Btw dem00n did you do rams head or triangle?

overtherainbow - the Large Beaver is a clone of the Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi. You can chose to build it to either "Ram's Head" or "Triangle" Muff specs (two classic vintage versions of the Muff). It has an added four-way switch that toggles between standard scooped mids, flat mids, boosted mids, and tone bypass.

It's a pretty badass pedal and I'm a little jealous that dem00n has one.

Btw dem00n did you do rams head or triangle?

I did the Triangle, i liked it more than the rams head, though they both sound good.

Great job Dem00n. Yes building can become addictive but fun all the same.

I started with a BYOC pedal (Overdrive Special 2) and then built a couple of Madbean pedals - the serendipity and Neutrino which is now discontinued. Too bad that is a sweet pedal so I don't know why it was discontinued.

It is true that the BYOC's cost more, but you get all of the parts to build when you order so that can make life easier and it may be worth it. Also their instructions are very well written whereas you only get a parts list and diagram from MadBean.

I have found that with both of the MadBean boards I ended up getting parts from two or even three places because I couldn't find everything in one place.

I sourced my parts from those already mentioned:

Small Bear

Pedal Parts Plus

Mouser - I order most of my parts from mouser, but I almost always order amp parts too for my next 2-3 builds.

Let me know if you get stuck finding a part and I'll see what I have laying around.

Thanks djorge for the offer.

I noticed the same thing with the parts, cant find a website with them all.

Yup - Sometimes it's a pain in the butt especially if you only need one part from one of those web sites.

My suggestion is to plan carefully before you order and if possible try and buy two (or more) MadBean boards that you want to build and see if you can get the parts at the same time. If your planning is well laid out then instead of needing 1 part from one web site perhaps the other pedal/board will need something from that same site as well.

Best wishes on your future builds

Archived