Gibson Brands Forums

Whats The Best Effects Pedal I Can Buy For $100?

Tman5293

Like the title states, I want to know whats the best possible effects pedal I can add to my pedal board for $100. I was previously only looking at delay pedals but I've decided to ask the forum, whats the most useful addition to my pedal board? A delay? Phaser? Chorus? I can really go up to $120 since I have a $20 off coupon. Help me out here guys!

Troll! msp_flapper.gif It just so happens that I'm getting rid of the DS-1 tomorrow to help pay for the new pedal. I find the DS-1 to be quite useless actually..........

You have obviously never used 5 together. Tonal heaven, that's what Sl00sh uses

Honestly, I'd look at the Green Rhino. Its 130, but see if you can talk em down or get some money from parents

An old standby (and an industry standard) is the Ibanez TS9, which can be had for around $100, if I'm not mistaken. Since you have a legit tube amp now, a tube-screamer-style OD would probably be a cool thing to have. If you could stretch your budget up to the $130 for the Green Rhino (like Fred mentioned,) I'd go for that. [thumbup]

Then again, you could go after an MXR Analog Chorus for some sweet-*** modulations:

Or an MXR Micro Chorus for about $20 less, and it's pretty versatile for a pedal with one knob. You could also grab a Nano Clone or a Neo Clone or something. It doesn't look like you have any modulation effects other than your wah, so...

Or you could grab something like a compressor. I don't like 'em, but, who knows? You might find one you like. A few options are the EHX Nano Soul Preacher or the MXR Dyna Comp or Super Comp.

I also remember you mentioning interest in a delay. I don't think they're made in the USA, but the DeltaLab DD1 seems to be fairly decent (especially for the price.)

I dunno man, it's up to you. I'm just throwing ya some options. First up for me once I run into some money is a good amp, but you've already got that. My next choice (although, you've gotta remember that I'm at a crossroads in my life where my favorite genres are death metal and lo-fi indie rock)... a really buzz-saw-y high-gain distortion, then a good fuzz, then a good chorus, then a low-to-mid-gain OD, a good delay, a good wah, and then...

An old standby (and an industry standard) is the Ibanez TS9, which can be had for around $100, if I'm not mistaken. Since you have a legit tube amp now, a tube-screamer-style OD would probably be a cool thing to have. If you could stretch your budget up to the $130 for the Green Rhino (like Fred mentioned,) I'd go for that. [thumbup]

Then again, you could go after an MXR Analog Chorus for some sweet-*** modulations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGAUSGZNy5E

Or an MXR Micro Chorus for about $20 less, and it's pretty versatile for a pedal with one knob. You could also grab a Nano Clone or a Neo Clone or something. It doesn't look like you have any modulation effects other than your wah, so...

Or you could grab something like a compressor. I don't like 'em, but, who knows? You might find one you like. A few options are the EHX Nano Soul Preacher or the MXR Dyna Comp or Super Comp.

I also remember you mentioning interest in a delay. I don't think they're made in the USA, but the DeltaLab DD1 seems to be fairly decent (especially for the price.)

I dunno man, it's up to you. I'm just throwing ya some options. First up for me once I run into some money is a good amp, but you've already got that. My next choice (although, you've gotta remember that I'm at a crossroads in my life where my favorite genres are death metal and lo-fi indie rock)... a really buzz-saw-y high-gain distortion, then a good fuzz, then a good chorus, then a low-to-mid-gain OD, a good delay, a good wah, and then...

Thanks for being the first one to give some real suggestions. I would like to add that I want to stay away from distortion/fuzz/overdrive for now. For the time being the Big Muff suits me nicely. Looking more in the modulation pedals area. Delay, Chorus, Phaser, something like that.

What kinda music you play anyways man?

I'd say get a delay. You can't use a phaser too much and it's probly just me but you just shouldn't use chorus too much (even though I use my cosmichorus on everything... not for chorus though). Get the stuff that you can use most first

dem00n - I'm totally selling some stuff getting ready to get a Timeline. Don't listen to fred haha Strymon rules.

What kinda music you play anyways man?

I'd say get a delay. You can't use a phaser too much and it's probly just me but you just shouldn't use chorus too much (even though I use my cosmichorus on everything... not for chorus though). Get the stuff that you can use most first

dem00n - I'm totally selling some stuff getting ready to get a Timeline. Don't listen to fred haha Strymon rules.

I play Classic Rock and The Blues. Nothing else.

lol I'm still gonna go with delay then.

Try a few out. Sounds like you're already pretty sold on the memory boy as far as delay goes.

Actually I really liked the Carbon Copy as well. I'm gonna have to compare them when I go to GC tomorrow.

Fo sho. Check out some digital delays too.

I'd recommend you check out the TC Flashback delay.

Yea the FLashback is supposed to be pretty darn good, and as Damian said the Black Label Chorus, (same chorus is have) is a great choice for 100$ flat..But as Nate stated earlier...go with the Green Rhino..invent the extra 20$ or 30$ it'll be worth it.

I totally agree. The looper is the best thing to happen to my playing since weed and night time. It's pretty awesome for writing multiple riffs for a song.

The Flashback has a (30 second?) looper and some pretty excellent sounding delays. Don't be afraid of digital. Honestly a lot of the whole analog vs digital delay thing is total bullshit hype. At least with the good digital pedals now..

Giantrobot, I know you don't like Strymon but dude you have to try looping with the el cap.

Oh I thought I remembered you saying you don't like them.

Yeah they're pretty expensive but the el cap is so ****in worth it. To me anyways.

Sounds like your friend has a legit setup dude. I haven't played a real Space Echo or Echoplex or anything like that so I can't compare but I'm honestly not really concerned with how realistic the emulations are or whatever. I just really dig the way it sounds. If I get a timeline I'd be down to send you my el cap for a little while to check out. It's better in person.

Speaking of keys + echo, I'm dying to plug my friends old Moog Prodigy into the el cap. That **** sounded rad with my Boss PS-3 (which has pretty shitty delay) I bet it sounds pretty mind blowing with good delay.

Got a wah yet?

There are several in your price range.

Happy Hunting!

Yep. Love my Crybaby!

Yeah, he's got the Sl00sh wah, his pedals are in his signature.

Hey man, that wah sounds killer. Plus it has the distortion/volume boost for solos. Don't be hatin' just because it has Slash's name on it. msp_flapper.gif

Yep. Love my Crybaby!

Hey man, that wah sounds killer. Plus it has the distortion/volume boost for solos. Don't be hatin' just because it has Slash's name on it. msp_flapper.gif

I'm not hatin' at all, I'm sure it is indeed one helluva wah, it's just tradition to say sl00sh instead of slash. I apoligize for the misunderstanding though.

I'm not hatin' at all, I'm sure it is indeed one helluva wah, it's just tradition to say sl00sh instead of slash. I apoligize for the misunderstanding though.

Nah man it's cool I was just messin' with you. I blame dem00n for the whole "Sl00sh" thing anyways. msp_biggrin.gif

Archived